Jason Benetti, new Sox home PxP

Heads22

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 08:13 AM)
It's not a very White Sox move, but it's kind of exactly who you'd hope/expect a team to hire in this situation. A young local guy with both national experience and baseball experience.

Agreed, I was just 100% sure it was going to be someone from their list of candidates. http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/history/players.jsp

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 06:38 AM)
For Illinois fans, he did the Mich St game with Calhoun last week

I turned that game off real fast lol. However, not because of the announcing.

Great hire, I like his voice. Like others have said, a local kid, grew up a Sox fan, and has national and local experience. Great hire.

I love Hawk Harrelson, and sadly his time is coming to an end as the Sox PxP. He is one of those larger than life baseball legends to me. Although he could be repetitive at times, I always liked the passion he brought to the games. I'll never forget his call of Mark Buehrle's perfect game and how he was as speechless and emotional as any fan watching the game. Someone said it best here, he was like a grandpa who watched the games with you and was as big a Sox fan as any. I know that's not everyone's cup o' tea, but it was unique to being a Sox fan and I've enjoyed joining Hawk and Stoney for these games.

All that being said, I was worried the Sox would throw in some temp or a less-qualified former player like Melton (ugh).

I'm really happy to see them go with someone young and passionate about baseball. I watched the video from the beginning of this thread someone had posted and I already like the guy. Seems very professional but also somebody who could become part of the passion that we all share for Sox baseball.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 08:17 AM)
This is an excellent move. I'm so glad they didn't just throw an ex player up there. Hearing a young, professional broadcaster will be a breath of fresh air. I grew up with Hawk just like everyone else but it's been time for a new voice and style.

This exactly.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 08:33 AM)
White Sox to name Jason Benetti as Hawk Harrelson's half-season replacement

There is a couple audio clips in this article of Jason calling some home runs.

Thanks for the link. like it. If he sounds like that in the atmosphere of minor league ball, I imagine he;ll get even more jacked up and sound even better yet announcing for a home pro team on the big stage and in clutch situations. Plus his voice does not sound whiny either. Sounds real solid. Good stuff. Will see how things go when the season progresses, but as of now........Answered quite a few questions that I posted about earlier, and looks like he could be pretty solid. Apparently this guys does his homework and research as well. Thanks again

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 08:50 AM)
I like that he grew up a Sox fan. He will have an enthusiasm others won't. Sounds good. It will be weird without Hawk. I just hope he isn't a Len Kasper clone.

Funny you say that, I actually think Kasper is pretty good. He's a massive upgrade from what the Cubs had prior which was Chip Caray who was beyond annoying and really isn't any good. From the Trib article it sounds like Kasper even vouched for Benetti.

I hope he's from more of the John Rooney school....definitely leaning more for the home team, but isn't going to lose professionalism when things go bad, or lose sleep over a tough loss.

Call the game, read the promos, have a couple good quips, let Stone do his job. That's all we need.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 05:17 AM)
DOTKdDk.jpg

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colum...112-column.html

"He got the job because he's really a good broadcaster, not because of the side stories," Brooks Boyer, the White Sox chief marketing officer, said. "What stands out is his ability to broadcast a game."

Have not read this entire thread or the article itself, but is there any hidden meaning behind this statement? Sound like it could be a veiled indictment of Hawk's style.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 10:13 AM)
Have not read this entire thread or the article itself, but is there any hidden meaning behind this statement? Sound like it could be a veiled indictment of Hawk's style.

That's EXACTLY what I thought too! Lol. Maybe just trying to show us he will be different from Hawk in that aspect.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 09:13 AM)

I can see how "side stories" would read like "always talking about Yaz," but I think he's just talking about Benetti's side stories - born with cerebral palsy, growing up a Sox fan, etc.