'16 Sox will be much improved without other moves

southsider2k5

Maybe...but realistically there are questions with the back end of the rotation, the bull pen could be weaker if they don't sign Albers, shortstop is unproven, the DH is a massive black hole and for now anyway, you've still got Garcia starting in right field.

Oh did I mention Ventura is still the manager?

Mark

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 06:39 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 28m28 minutes ago

Merkin: Even without further moves, '16 White Sox should be decidedly improved: http://atmlb.com/1SsDc8Q via @mlb

"...should be decidedly improved."

Well, if that proclamation doesn't rev up the fan base and cause a run on season ticket packages, I don't know what will!!

:lol:

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 05:39 PM)

Merkin: Even without further moves, '16 White Sox should be decidedly improved: http://atmlb.com/1SsDc8Q via @mlb

I don't think Merkin would tell you if the White Sox were going to be bad.

I'm frustrated by the direction of this team. Are they 'all in' or not? If they were, they would have a legitimate #4 hitter on this lineup. Frazier and Lawrie are nice additions, and the offense is better, but I envision these two as #5 and #6 or even #7 (in Lawrie's case).

I think they are smart to not give a free agent a 6 or 7 year deal, and I am in favor of reloading the minor league system, however, they are trying to do both at the same time.

There is still time, and maybe they add Upton/Cespedes or make some addition that moves Cabrera out of the #2 spot and into the middle of the lineup (that could help, but he's not that type of run producer either), but pick a lane.

Pitching wise, they are set although the #3-#5 spots are still questions to me. We know the probably names (Rodon, Johnson and Danks), but the expectations are so high for Rodon to break out. Will he deliver? They probably aren't a contender without 3 very good pitchers. Johnson and Danks just need to give innings and hopefully keep teams in the game. Bullpen will probably be good, not elite.

Bottom line - they don't have enough hitting.

At the moment, this is .500 type team. Add a #4 hitter and get good starting pitching, they can challenge

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 07:02 PM)
I mean he isn't lying. He's not saying they're title contenders or anything, just improved. I don't think anyone can say they aren't.

Well he did say this

"In fact, I believe they can be a playoff team as we sit in the cold on Jan. 18."

I dont think that's true

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 05:39 PM)

"So, ONE team has won the World Series in the past 23 tries with a below-average team payroll.

What does that say about the effect of money on baseball success that I haven't already said?

For a reference, if all teams were evenly talented, the odds of a Q3 or Q4 payroll team winning only 1 of 23 World Series is about 1 in 365,000, or roughly three times less likely than being struck by lightning."

http://beneathdata.com/blog/does-money-buy-wins-in-baseball/

If the White Sox go into the regular season with this payroll (around $118-119 million), they're going to be in the 3rd quartile.

KC was at $152 million last year when they won, fwiw.

That Merkin tweet has all the oomph to it of a Joe Crede pop-out down the RF line. It might actually dampen fan expectations.

In all seriousness, I'm not sure how it can be considered helpful. If you're not going to make any more moves, at least be honest about it. Don't try to sell or spin the fan base when everyone can see right through it.

"The market for the remaining impact players isn't one we're comfortable with in terms of long-term return on investment. We strongly believe in Avi, Saladino, LaRoche and Erik Johnson (obviously they're not going to say that part) as key contributors to this year's team. Rather than move now and be unable to adjust at mid-season, we prefer to retain the financial flexibility to adjust on the fly as the season unwinds.

We're understand

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:15 PM)
2015 Spring Training: White Sox

The White Sox have plenty of talent to contend in 2015 with rotation ace Chris Sale and the additions of Jeff Samardzija and Melky Cabrera

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com||4:02 PM ET

You thought so too......

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 05:41 PM)
Those last 2 don't worry me that much. This team could easily get a very weak performance from Tyler Flowers, nothing but a September bullpen stint from Carlos Rodon, and still win the division.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:15 PM)
2015 Spring Training: White Sox

The White Sox have plenty of talent to contend in 2015 with rotation ace Chris Sale and the additions of Jeff Samardzija and Melky Cabrera

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com||4:02 PM ET

Paper doesn't refuse ink.

[meatball post]

Awww, the stupid White Sox can't finally pony up for a premium free agent. But look, we made other marginal additions! Look at Fraziers numbers! He won't have any trouble playing in a league with better pitching! And Lawrie is a grinder with room to improve! Except he is injury prone and hasn't lived up to his potential yet! We don't need Cespedes... Garcia will get better (better odds of that not happening) and if we sign Fowler, he can add his elite OBP skills! Forget that he is just a nice ballplayer on a team that is already elite!"

Cespedes isn't a perfect ballplayer, doesn't have elite numbers, but he does drive in runs, and the Sox NEED THAT. If he was a perfect player, he'd be commanding in excess of a 200 million contract! Pay the man what he is WORTH, for crying out loud. It's no wonder Sox fans don't go to the park, Reinsdorf and company will rarely ever sign a premium free agent. For crying out loud, other teams have signed what appear to be crippling contracts yet they still compete, they still sign useful players during other years. I know Ilitch is old and crazy, but having insane contracts already didn't stop him from adding to his team. We have ZERO "insane" contracts and can't finally decide that maybe one "insane" contract might be worth the risk?

I'm sick of this. I hope the Sox understand that even though they already have a bleak attendance outlook, it's only going to get worse for them with an "all-in" attitude without actually going "all-in". They may as well just had sold high on their assets and started a rebuild, and they would get the same attendance outlook.

[/meatball post]

Thanks for putting up with it.

Edited by South Sider

QUOTE (South Sider @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:23 PM)
[meatball post]

Awww, the stupid White Sox can't finally pony up for a premium free agent. But look, we made other marginal additions! Look at Fraziers numbers! He won't have any trouble playing in a league with better pitching! And Lawrie is a grinder with room to improve! Except he is injury prone and hasn't lived up to his potential yet! We don't need Cespedes... Garcia will get better (better odds of that not happening) and if we sign Fowler, he can add his elite OBP skills! Forget that he is just a nice ballplayer on a team that is already elite!"

Cespedes isn't a perfect ballplayer, doesn't have elite numbers, but he does drive in runs, and the Sox NEED THAT. If he was a perfect player, he'd be commanding in excess of a 200 million contract! Pay the man what he is WORTH, for crying out loud. It's no wonder Sox fans don't go to the park, Reinsdorf and company will rarely ever sign a premium free agent. For crying out loud, other teams have signed what appear to be crippling contracts yet they still compete, they still sign useful players during other years. I know Ilitch is old and crazy, but having insane contracts already didn't stop him from adding to his team. We have ZERO "insane" contracts and can't finally decide that maybe one "insane" contract might be worth the risk?

I'm sick of this. I hope the Sox understand that even though they already have a bleak attendance outlook, it's only going to get worse for them with an "all-in" attitude without actually going "all-in". They may as well just had sold high on their assets and started a rebuild, and they would get the same attendance outlook.

[/meatball post]

Thanks for putting up with it.

I actually enjoyed the read. I wish I didn't agree with you

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 06:03 PM)
"...should be decidedly improved."

Well, if that proclamation doesn't rev up the fan base and cause a run on season ticket packages, I don't know what will!!

:lol:

Everyone in the organization, top to bottom, is in the very best shape of their lives. Even the FO and Don Cooper.

There are always two side to the issue and then your personal one. So we should line up a duke it out I guess. However, I choose to be positive. The season is not over because we haven't bankrupted the team spending on out of control free agent contracts. It is very unusual that one player does it all for a team fighting for the championship. The hot stove isn't over yet and the season has yet to begin.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 12:14 PM)
I can completely get behind this sentiment.

78 wins will be decided improvement over the 76 win campaign of last season

I'm looking forward to eating at least a few hot dogs and taking a lap or two around the concourse a few times this season

They aren't only 2 wins better though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 01:25 PM)
They aren't only 2 wins better though.

If the White Sox roster got better, but the rest of the division and the league also got better, then an improved roster could lead to treading water on the record or even stepping downwards.

I personally think we need an outfield upgrade to contend. But...I am actually surprised that Merkin's view (that this is a playoff team as constructed) seems to be so lonely out there. The conventional wisdom last offseason was that the Sox built a contending team, but then some down years from key players led to disappointment. Even if you went into 2016 with basically the same team, it would not be totally unreasonable to think that bouncebacks from those same players would make us contenders again. Adding Lawrie and Frazier to that erstwhile "contending" roster? It doesn't seem that far-fetched to suggest that would be enough to set the stage for a really good season.

Again, I'm not satisfied -- and I get that a lot of last year's optimism was built on assumptions that Garcia was ready to break out, and that Samardzija would have a dominant season. But I don't think an optimistic view on 2016 is crazy.