USA Today 2016 season predicitions

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 12:45 PM)
I might be the only person, but I am expecting a bounce back season from LaRoche.

If he could just replicate his road splits from last year (.236/.319/.413) I'd be happy. It's astonishing how bad he was at the Cell (.181/.269/.271).

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 01:03 PM)
I really hope so. By all accounts he's a good guy, but when he came up to the plate, I'm not sure there was anyone I had less confidence in. He looked like he was like, half the size of himself by the end of the year.

He was a guy making not one, but two major adjustments. Not only was he going from the NL to the AL, but he was also going from playing the field, to a primary DH. We even saw a guy like Frank Thomas struggle with the latter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 01:45 PM)
I might be the only person, but I am expecting a bounce back season from LaRoche.

Dead cat bounce maybe, that's all I see. His splits against LHP have been horse s*** since '12 and with the way RV loves to trot him about there against LHP he's going to have another s*** year IMO.

We'll see. I wish they would have just bought him out or traded him for pennies on the dollar. Roster spot is more useful imo.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 02:24 PM)
Dead cat bounce maybe, that's all I see. His splits against LHP have been horse s*** since '12 and with the way RV loves to trot him about there against LHP he's going to have another s*** year IMO.

We'll see. I wish they would have just bought him out or traded him for pennies on the dollar. Roster spot is more useful imo.

Eh. The lefty thing is grossly exaggerated. The guy saw 94 ABs against lefties in 2015. Of those 94 AB's only 57 of them came in games started by a lefty in a grand total of 14 starts. The other 37 involved relievers that came in after a righty had started. I don't see the numbers split out this way, but I would bet that based on the huge cut in ABs that LaRoche saw in the 2nd half, I'd bet almost all of those starts came in the first half of the season.

It wouldn't have even looked that bad if the guy had actually hit righties instead.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 02:31 PM)
Eh. The lefty thing is grossly exaggerated. The guy saw 94 ABs against lefties in 2015. Of those 94 AB's only 57 of them came in games started by a lefty in a grand total of 14 starts. The other 37 involved relievers that came in after a righty had started. I don't see the numbers split out this way, but I would bet that based on the huge cut in ABs that LaRoche saw in the 2nd half, I'd bet almost all of those starts came in the first half of the season.

It wouldn't have even looked that bad if the guy had actually hit righties instead.

There also wasn't a great alternative in the first half, the entire team was horses*** against LHP last year. Once Trayce came up LaRoche basically saw no time against lefties, but I'm not going to blame Robin too much for sending him out there in the first half when pretty much the only other option was Bonifacio.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 01:12 PM)
To be honest, I'm not much of a believer in luck. Certain players just need to perform up to their career averages which, to me, is more about focus/repetition/desire/outlook/working hard and things of that nature.

I am to a degree mainly due to injuries. I think a lot of injuries in sports are bad luck. Some injuries do result from players not being in good shape or making careless plays. But a a batter getting hit by a pitch, taking a foul ball off the ankle/foot/knee or a pitcher taking a line drive off the bat can also change a team's fortunes and most are purely bad luck.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 03:36 PM)
There also wasn't a great alternative in the first half, the entire team was horses*** against LHP last year. Once Trayce came up LaRoche basically saw no time against lefties, but I'm not going to blame Robin too much for sending him out there in the first half when pretty much the only other option was Bonifacio.

Doh, they signed a super sub to play against LHP then forgot him.

As for LaRoche, 20% of his PA last year were against LHP, that's a pretty big chunk of his time and he posted an OPS+ of 8 against them. It's not just that he's bad against LHP, HE SHOULD NEVER FACE LHP.

Not to go all Tom Skilling weather forecast and then tie this to the team's ability to come out strong - but they are predicting a warm spring. It'd be nice to get a few 60+ degrees games in April. Maybe our bats start off well, we win some, and the crowds show up a bit.

The last few years we've always been playing from behind, maybe nice to get some momentum early.

Again, very far fetched. But, hey, its Spring Training time. Fluff pieces and dreams baby!

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 02:53 PM)

As for LaRoche, 20% of his PA last year were against LHP, that's a pretty big chunk of his time and he posted an OPS+ of 8 against them. It's not just that he's bad against LHP, HE SHOULD NEVER FACE LHP.

Yeah, that isn't even close to reality.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 02:53 PM)

Bonifacio had a wRC+ of 1 last year, and it was 2 against LHP (.176/.176/.235). Beckham couldn't have taken those ABs away because he was platooning with Conor against LHP. The only other option was having both Soto and Flowers in the lineup and having no catcher on the bench. Basically Robin was f***ed no matter what he did.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 04:22 PM)
[/b]

Yeah, that isn't even close to reality.

LaRoche literally should never face LHP. He should be benched any time a lefty comes in. That is reality - however it's not practical. You can't ph for him every time, although that's not the worst strategy late in games. The big problem wound up being Abreu being banged up - he had to start a number of games at 1b for Abreu, especially in May. For him to face fewer LHP, Abreu needs to stay healthier.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 03:35 PM)
LaRoche literally should never face LHP. He should be benched any time a lefty comes in. That is reality - however it's not practical. You can't ph for him every time, although that's not the worst strategy late in games. The big problem wound up being Abreu being banged up - he had to start a number of games at 1b for Abreu, especially in May. For him to face fewer LHP, Abreu needs to stay healthier.

LaRoche put up a .746 OPS as a 1B.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 11:49 AM)
If there is one thing about advanced metrics I do not like it is how they have just crushed the imaginations of fans. 90 wins isn't that far fetched for this roster, just as 70 wins isn't that far fetched either. This goes for every team in the game.

There will be multiple WS favorites who fail to make the playoffs this year, there will be multiple annual doormats who get a ticket to the dance instead. It's hard to tell who those teams will be, but the Sox have a rotation that makes it impossible to deny their chances.

Would be a joy if the cubs fall apart and do not make the playoffs. Wishful thinking i know.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 04:42 PM)
LaRoche put up a .746 OPS as a 1B.

Well, I guess I was wrong. That's what I get for giving Robin the benefit of the doubt, but you must be right, he kept putting him in there at the DH spot anyway. You must be right, just another example of him failing to understand his players.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 10:28 PM)
Well, I guess I was wrong. That's what I get for giving Robin the benefit of the doubt, but you must be right, he kept putting him in there at the DH spot anyway. You must be right, just another example of him failing to understand his players.

with the team that is being assemble, i really hope that RV is up to the job of managing this team.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 11:49 AM)
If there is one thing about advanced metrics I do not like it is how they have just crushed the imaginations of fans. 90 wins isn't that far fetched for this roster, just as 70 wins isn't that far fetched either. This goes for every team in the game.

There will be multiple WS favorites who fail to make the playoffs this year, there will be multiple annual doormats who get a ticket to the dance instead. It's hard to tell who those teams will be, but the Sox have a rotation that makes it impossible to deny their chances.

It only crushes the imagination of fans if you read them which i don't. Never even pay attention unless i read a article and it mentions fangraphs, zips, whoever. Saw a article that took a look at Fangraphs and their writers. All you have to do is look at the 50 writers from Fangraphs last year who made predictions based on advanced metrics. None predicted KC to win the division and NONE predicted them to even make the wild card. NONE predicted Houston and Texas, to lake the playoffs and only 3 predicted the Yankees to make it. And all 5 predicted Washington to win the division. That's should tel you all you need to know about advanced metrics when predicting records.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)
To be honest, I'm not much of a believer in luck. Certain players just need to perform up to their career averages which, to me, is more about focus/repetition/desire/outlook/working hard and things of that nature.

You may not be much of a believer in luck but you know it pops up in games at times. Players can perform well but if things don't bounce your way it can hurt you. White sox in 05 had some luck or calling it ball bouncing your way. Called 3rd strike in the dirt in game 2 of the alcs on AJ and getting first base, ball hitting the bat for dye in game 2 of the world series to load the bases, biggio dropping a pop up that helped the inning continue for the sox on the world series. Players can do alot but any player will tell you that luck comes into play at times.

Just throwing it out there for the sox to say put up 90 wins then just averaging it out over 6 months would be 15 wins a month. If they have a losing month then they would have to a better winning total in another month. Basically first month should be a tell if they are going to do something since they kinda fall flat in April for the past couple years. If they are .500 or better then might be a good chance.

90 wins would be nice and badly needed to give this franchise a shot in the arm but a lot of things would have to go right for that to happen.

And frankly the past ten years the Sox haven't had a whole lot of good luck.

Color me satisfied if they can just have a winning season...period.

To get to 90 wins by the way they sure as hell need to have a winning month in April (something that hasn't happened by the way since 2009...)

Mark