2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No self-respecting GM would trade a bat like Schwarber for fear of him having to play the worst defensive position in football.

Rowand nailed it: This narrative is silly. If your bat is as good as Schwarber's is, you can play outfield. Manny Ramirez played left field, for heaven's sake.

It's not the fear of him playing bad defense, its the fear of him playing defense so badly that he does something like bulldoze into his CF and tear all the ligaments in his knee. Schwarber spent 2015 diving face first into grass while the ball landed 20 feet behind him, you cant tell me major injury wasn't a glaring possibility with him.

Manny was nowhere near as bad a defender as Schwarber, not even close. Manny also played LF in Boston which as close to DH as it gets.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 07:22 PM)
Ya the whole "this is why he shouldn't play left field" narrative for this play is pretty silly.

But it is a good example of it, injury notwithstanding. The injury was bad luck, the event that brought those 2 players to collide was lack of talent between the two of them. The Cubs have an atrocious defensive OF outside of Heyward obviously.

Schwarber playing out of position was absolutely a factor in his injury. The Cubs took a risk by playing him there and now they (and especially him) are paying the price.

Same thing with Avi. He's not really an outfielder and is risking getting hurt out there. Of course, it's not nearly the same loss to the team if it happens.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 05:40 AM)
Fitting it was the guy who screwed over the Orioles who took him out. The baseball gods were not happy. :lol:

Feel for Schwarber. Hope he's back stronger than ever next year. If he wasn't a DH, he certainly is now.

With a typical ACL/MCL I would say he would most likely be back as good as new and there would be no issues with him returning o thr field 0. However with the LCL involved this will not be a typical surgery and the outcome is uncertain. Hopefully, the fact that they tried to have him walk off the field at first didn't cause any furthrr issues.

That's lawsuit material if he doesn't fully recover.

I also think, especially at his stage in his career, missing a year of play is very costly. He seemed unusually polished in some ways, but between not getting the chance to develop further and the rustiness that comes from the time away can easily make something like his high K% skyrocket.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 04:56 AM)
Maddon pitched to Goldschmidt last night. Cubs lose. OMG,

Could not believe this when I watched it. This is inexplicable to me. Guy on third with 2 outs. What are you thinking

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 06:43 AM)
I also think, especially at his stage in his career, missing a year of play is very costly. He seemed unusually polished in some ways, but between not getting the chance to develop further and the rustiness that comes from the time away can easily make something like his high K% skyrocket.

See Jared Mitchell...although with Jared, it also seemed to rob him of some confidence and was even more crippling because of his status as a speed/athleticism-tools player.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 04:56 AM)
Maddon pitched to Goldschmidt last night. Cubs lose. OMG,

Cubs getting full of themselves? Check.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 05:40 AM)
Fitting it was the guy who screwed over the Orioles who took him out. The baseball gods were not happy. :lol:

Feel for Schwarber. Hope he's back stronger than ever next year. If he wasn't a DH, he certainly is now.

Angry baseball gods, check. Goat curse, check. Kiss of death (being the overwhelming World Series favorite), check.

Cubs are screwed.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 06:25 AM)
Schwarber playing out of position was absolutely a factor in his injury. The Cubs took a risk by playing him there and now they (and especially him) are paying the price.

Same thing with Avi. He's not really an outfielder and is risking getting hurt out there. Of course, it's not nearly the same loss to the team if it happens.

My friend (that is a super bandwagon fan) had a status "Who do we play in left now?!" and I responded Soler. She forgot he was on the team. Her boyfriend said they could have LaStella at third and move Bryant to the OF.

I responded with playing people out of position isn't really a wise move and exactly what happened here. He responded with the fact that Chris Owings isn't doing poorly for the D-backs (he's a D-backs fan), so all you need is athleticism.

But I love this thought process that the Cubs deserve an All-Star in left. A year ago Soler was god's gift to baseball and now he's not worth giving a shot.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 07:43 AM)

Makes me think of Avi's shoulder.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 08:41 AM)
See Jared Mitchell...although with Jared, it also seemed to rob him of some confidence and was even more crippling because of his status as a speed/athleticism-tools player.

Or this.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 06:28 AM)
With a typical ACL/MCL I would say he would most likely be back as good as new and there would be no issues with him returning o thr field 0. However with the LCL involved this will not be a typical surgery and the outcome is uncertain. Hopefully, the fact that they tried to have him walk off the field at first didn't cause any furthrr issues.

That's lawsuit material if he doesn't fully recover.

I really hope it's not. Hope he recovers well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 10:54 AM)
So three of the top four picks in the 2014 draft have had major season ending surgery. That is crazy.

Rodon is probably praying at the altar of Herm Schneider right now.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 06:25 AM)

The Cubs had no real choice if Schwarber continues to be so good on offense.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 05:25 PM)
The ACL is no big deal. The problem is the LCL and that area.

Ya from what I've read about studying football injuries is the problem isn't so much the ACL tear it's the other damage to ligaments and cartilage. That's the difference in 6-8 month injury and 12 months no? I've been following the Justin Houston Chiefs injury(being a Chiefs fan). That's basically what I've heard.