Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 09:55 PM)
Someday we'll be able to +1 posts, that day you shall receive a gift from me, my friend.

It was literally the first thing that crossed my mind when it happened.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 08:31 PM)
At this point I wouldn't trade Avi for Bruce.Need another good fielding OF and Bruce does not qualify.

Just trade in one tall, white, mid- 30's, DH/1B of French descent for another. Monsieur Morneau votre table est prête.

Jeff Francouer, haha?

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 10:19 PM)
Did the White Sox solve their OBP issue?

http://southside.locals.baseballprospectus...to-get-on-base/

That's the main thing that concerns me. Our OBP is not good at all IMO. That's why I wanted to trade for Markaikas who has a excellent OBP. I think the SOX brass is way to enamored with power and i think they underestimate OBP. If you look at the last 4-5 World Series winners and runner ups their homer total was nothing great and pretty low.

Just say no to Bruce and the jerk that used to play in Minnesota.

I think the DH role can be filled internally by either Garcia or Cabrera.

As for the 13 million burning a hole in rick's pocket? Hold onto it for now and see what can be had in a July stretch run.

Edited by ewokpelts

I don't really understand the Morneau talk. As I see it, with LaRoche gone, the Sox now have four outfielders fighting for three starting spots, plus the DH position, and that's not counting whoever makes the team as the fourth outfielder (Shuck or Sands).

So that would be Jackson in CF, Eaton in RF/LF and either Cabrera or Garcia in RF/LF with the other acting as the team's primary DH. Unless Avi gets moved, where would Morneau fit on the roster?

I don't really understand the Morneau talk. As I see it, with LaRoche gone, the Sox now have four outfielders fighting for three starting spots, plus the DH position, and that's not counting whoever makes the team as the fourth outfielder (Shuck or Sands).

So that would be Jackson in CF, Eaton in RF/LF and either Cabrera or Garcia in RF/LF with the other acting as the team's primary DH. Unless Avi gets moved, where would Morneau fit on the roster?

I don't like the idea of Jackson playing every day. His bat is just so bad..

There's nothing wrong with the thread title, I mean, that's what I would name it too, but it's funny, because:

BREAKING:

Chris Sale to retire.

Is technically also accurate. He will retire. Just, hopefully not for many years.

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 06:52 AM)

Avi needs more than a hot spring to deserve uncontested playing time. Plus we desperately need another left-handed bat to break up all the righties in our lineup. LaRoche may not have been a sure thing, but he filled both of those needs. Hahn has to add a left-handed bat before opening day or we're really playing with fire. J.B. Shuck is definitely not the answer either.

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 06:52 AM)

My ideal scenario would be to sign Morneau as the DH and backup 1st baseman, and then have Melky in LF, Jackson in CF, and Eaton in RF. Avi could then be the backup DH and 4th outfielder.

When Avi plays in the field, shift Eaton to center and put Jackson on the bench as a defensive replacement. When Morneau sits against lefties, let Avi DH in those games.

Seems simple enough.

Edited by ChiSoxFanMike

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 06:55 AM)
I don't like the idea of Jackson playing every day. His bat is just so bad..

It's better than Avi's bat though. He'll probably be at around a .700 OPS, which I don't think qualifies as "so bad".

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 07:19 AM)
My ideal scenario would be to sign Morneau as the DH and backup 1st baseman, and then have Melky in LF, Jackson in CF, and Eaton in RF. Avi could then be the backup DH and 4th outfielder.

When Avi plays in the field, shift Eaton to center and put Jackson on the bench as a defensive replacement. When Morneau sits against lefties, let Avi DH in those games.

Seems simple enough.

Eaton does not have the arm for RF

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 10:21 PM)
Another option - save the money for early trade season and get a RHSP.

My post was cut short, thanks to the wife, but this is what I was driving at. I don't know if any are available via trade right now but a mid-back end of the rotation starter would be nice. I agree though, it's nice to have the extra funds to make a trade between now and the end of July to take on a player with salary.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 10:16 PM)
We didn't use LaRoche at first much at all anyway, so no loss. I do hope Abreu keeps developing as a fielder as well as slugger. But this really helps the team. Adam can't hit lefties anymore and because of his veteran status he'd have driven us crazy going something like five hits in every 60, 70 at bats versus lefties. Now we don't have to put up with that. Yes it can only help the team having him retire. He wasn't going to have a real bounceback year.

Agree with everything you say here Greg. LaRoche retiring will help the Sox tremendously. I wonder if Hahn shopping LaRoche during the off season weighed on LaRoche's mind a bit.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 10:16 PM)
We didn't use LaRoche at first much at all anyway, so no loss. I do hope Abreu keeps developing as a fielder as well as slugger. But this really helps the team. Adam can't hit lefties anymore and because of his veteran status he'd have driven us crazy going something like five hits in every 60, 70 at bats versus lefties. Now we don't have to put up with that. Yes it can only help the team having him retire. He wasn't going to have a real bounceback year.

LaRoche wasn't going to play against LHP.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 10:25 PM)
That's what I thought but still need another LH bat and Morneau fills that void better than LaRoche if he can avoid hurting his head in any way. No headbanging or slaps on the helmet for him during walk offs. Have to beat the Red Sox to the punch since they are interested. Morneau bashes righties and is better than LaRoche against lefties.

I definitely would not complain about signing Morneau but the big question is would he want to sign with the Sox. I'm on the fence and can see both sides to the discussion of, would he or would he not. I really have no idea.

I would kind of prefer to look into trading for a higher salaried pitcher to stick in the back of the rotation. A James Shields' type without the James Shields' salary. ;)