I love Hawk Harrelson

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 02:45 PM)
That was during a White Sox broadcast not on Boston radio. But way to go editing my post to make it look like I posted something I did not.

lol, I didn't edit anything in your post. You wrote that Hawk will say when the Sox suck and that he knows what's going on. I posted an example of Hawk saying the 78 win Sox had more talent then the club coming off a WS appearance that then won a WS.

Hawk is senile and when he says stupid s*** like saying the Sox have more talent than the Royals it makes the entire ORG look bad.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 08:57 AM)
I know he isn't the guy he was even 5 years ago as an announcer, but he is quite literally the soundtrack to many of my favorite baseball memories. I am really sad to know he is phasing out. That emotion in the booth is a dying breed, and it is one of the things unique about Hawk. He was happy when I was happy. He was sad when I was sad. He was pissed off when I was pissed off. I am going to miss that.

Me too. Being 25, Hawk calling games is all I've known. I say Hawkisms everyday, and probably will the rest of my life.

He is easily in my top 3 of people I'd love to play a round of golf with. Love Hawk, and will miss him dearly when he's gone, even though I know its time.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 01:48 PM)
lol, I didn't edit anything in your post. You wrote that Hawk will say when the Sox suck and that he knows what's going on. I posted an example of Hawk saying the 78 win Sox had more talent then the club coming off a WS appearance that then won a WS.

Hawk is senile and when he says stupid s*** like saying the Sox have more talent than the Royals it makes the entire ORG look bad.

When he is on Boston radio. When he is doing White Sox games I mentioned his over the top stuff is shtick. And no, it doesn't make the entire organization look bad.

But by all means come into the I love Hawk Harrelson thread and tell us all how we are wrong and he is horrible and senile.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
Me too. Being 25, Hawk calling games is all I've known. I say Hawkisms everyday, and probably will the rest of my life.

He is easily in my top 3 of people I'd love to play a round of golf with. Love Hawk, and will miss him dearly when he's gone, even though I know its time.

+1 This post nails it.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 01:41 PM)

So your criticism of Hawk's homerism is backed by an article written by a Royals homer? By the way that author took what Hawk said completely out of context. I remember this very vividly. Hawk was not talking about which team was better overall last year. He was talking about a very specific three game series that they had just played during a time when Melky and Eaton were red hot, Alex Gordon was injured and the Royals were starting Edinson Volquez, Jeremy Guthrie and Danny Duffy for the three games. I agree with him. The Sox should have been able to win that series but because of the Royals fundamentals and execution the Sox lost all three by one run.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

Hawk is a character. Virtually all other broadcasters in baseball are pointless, worthless, flavorless and devoid of personality. They suck. They're grown in a laboratory in Orlando. They're if khaki pants could talk. They are audience-tested by the corporation. They are not people. They are not interesting. They suck. Cubs are unwatchable.

You can dislike some of what Hawk does, and I'll agree it gets way worse when the team sucks (3 straight seasons). But good god, give me anyone with a personality over the Len Kasper/Chip Careys of the world.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 04:26 PM)
If Hawk could be a little more like Stacey King in his homer-ism, he'd be fine.

Also, I one day want to see those two call a game together. Hawk couldn't be worse than Funk.

I like Stacey most of the time, but at times he comes off as really fake.

The duo I love most in the broadcasting world is Pat Foley and Eddie O. They are homers, they are authentic, they are excitable, and they are mostly honest.

I've never really understood the Hawk hate. I absolutely prefer a guy who is a "Homer" and is cheering along with me.

I'Il get yelled at for this, but give me Hawk all day over Vin Scully who everyone loves. Maybe I just don't hear Scully enough, but whenever I do get the chance, it's always so bland and zzzzzzz.

Also, Mike, are you the dude on Pride and Passion who always "Feels drunk?"

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 10:56 PM)
I've never really understood the Hawk hate. I absolutely prefer a guy who is a "Homer" and is cheering along with me.

I'Il get yelled at for this, but give me Hawk all day over Vin Scully who everyone loves. Maybe I just don't hear Scully enough, but whenever I do get the chance, it's always so bland and zzzzzzz.

This is how I feel except I love Scully. Baseball is a unique historic sport and I love the older announcers and the history of the game. It's a treat to listen to a guy who does it by himself. He's really good at what he does. Listen to him some more and get back to me with more thoughts.

As for Hawk, I've always said I like my announcers to have a little homer in them because they're my teams announcers. However, he's full blown homer now and way off base with his ideas at times. I'm eager to listen to Stine and Bennetti (pardon my spelling if it's wrong). Just my two cents here.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 11:56 PM)

No, that's not me. This is the only White Sox forum/website that I'm on.

I'm happy to know that I'm not the only Hawk supporter out there. He's a unique person for sure, but he's very memorable and good at what he does most of the time as well.

Hawk will be missed. I thought it was odd when they announced that he would only do road games this year. I would assume doing home games only would be easier for him? Perhaps it has something to do with golf or something to do with a farewell tour from opposing teams? Regardless, Hawk is the biggest White Sox cheerleader of all time. Most of the time I loved that with all of his unique Hawkisms, but the last 5 seasons or so it has been rough with lack of winning and the weird tension on air between him and Stone. Let's give Benetti a shot before we judge... Although I hope he stops his sarcasm shtick soon... That approach will get old fast and will not go well the fan base. Just talk baseball, get excited when a big play happens and I'll be happy watching.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 08:56 AM)
Hawk will be missed. I thought it was odd when they announced that he would only do road games this year. I would assume doing home games only would be easier for him? Perhaps it has something to do with golf or something to do with a farewell tour from opposing teams? Regardless, Hawk is the biggest White Sox cheerleader of all time. Most of the time I loved that with all of his unique Hawkisms, but the last 5 seasons or so it has been rough with lack of winning and the weird tension on air between him and Stone. Let's give Benetti a shot before we judge... Although I hope he stops his sarcasm shtick soon... That will approach will not go well the fan base. Just talk baseball, get excited when a big play happens and I'll be happy watching.

Hawk lives in Granger Indiana. Google the drive if you have never heard of it. While it is counter-intuitive, it is probably easier for traveling while on the road and making one single trip to get to a destination, instead of making that drive every night of a home stand.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 04:22 PM)
Hawk is a character. Virtually all other broadcasters in baseball are pointless, worthless, flavorless and devoid of personality. They suck. They're grown in a laboratory in Orlando. They're if khaki pants could talk. They are audience-tested by the corporation. They are not people. They are not interesting. They suck. Cubs are unwatchable.

You can dislike some of what Hawk does, and I'll agree it gets way worse when the team sucks (3 straight seasons). But good god, give me anyone with a personality over the Len Kasper/Chip Careys of the world.

Len Kasper is both

a)

good

and

b)definitely has personality

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 10:22 PM)

Please save this post and post whenever somebody starts blasting Hawk. This is the greatest post in the history of Soxtalk cause it accurately depicts what "virtually all" other broadcasters truly are. I love the khaki pants line. 95 percent of all announcers as Vance said perfectly, are "not people." That Steve Physioc guy on the Royals and Steve Stewart are impossible to listen to. They say things that are not human. Rex Hudler's fake cheerleading? Puke. And Physioc has the kind of resume that could get him a job in the Sox booth. Give me Stone and Hawk or give me mute button.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Mar 31, 2016 -> 07:56 AM)
Len Kasper is both

a)

good

and

b)definitely has personality

It's amusing how the biggest Hawk supporters always seem to compare Len Kasper in a negative light. I would be ecstatic if the Sox hired Len Kasper.

QUOTE (credezcrew24 @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 03:13 PM)

In fairness, at his age his sight is most likely not what it used to be. If you are going to have an older announcer, you have to allow for some limitations. In his later years, Paulie didn't run as fast as he did earlier in his career. Same thing.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 02:45 PM)
In fairness, at his age his sight is most likely not what it used to be. If you are going to have an older announcer, you have to allow for some limitations. In his later years, Paulie didn't run as fast as he did earlier in his career. Same thing.

Hawk has also had multiple eye surgeries.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 11:39 AM)
Exactly. He's an embarrassment and is actively hurting the marketing and branding of White Sox baseball. In his prime he was an asset to the org as a distinct voice but now he's just an old, easily confused, often wrong voice. And a loud one at that.

The only person hurting the marketing and branding of White Sox baseball is the 25 man roster with its poor play over the past few years (and those involved with putting it together). The marketing and branding of the club (outside of criminal type acts) is pretty much entirely driven by the won / loss of the organization and to a lesser extent the fact that the ownership and players don't do absurd things / get into serious legal trouble, make John Rocker type comments, etc.

Hawk isn't actively hurting the brand of White Sox baseball.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 09:56 PM)

I Like Hawk (in doses, especially when this club is bad) but he is no Vin Scully. Scully is amazing to listen to.

Hawk was great in the '80s and '90s. Sometime in the 2000s, he got carried away with his Hawk-isms and became something of a caricature of himself. He also became increasingly curmudgeonly, which made him difficult to listen to at times. It's a good thing that he's retiring soon.

That said, Hawk was excellent in his prime. Nobody's going to confuse him with Vin Scully, but was really good at what he did and had a uniqueness that I really appreciated.

Edited by Black_Jack29