Early Trade Speculation

hi8is

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2016/5/9/11641...ight-now-ranked

The most interesting name from this list (assuming we're moving off the replacing Avi bandwagon temporarily) is James Shields (before you stop reading, make sure to pay attention to the argument in the original column)...how they could/would get him to opt-out of his contract at the end of the season, no idea why that would be in his best interest unless he was so desperate to pitch for a contending team again he agreed to a buyout from the Padres so he could finish this year elsewhere and go back out on the market again.

Guess it just depends on how much he believes he has left in the tank and how willing he and his agent are to surrender the final two years on that terrible contract. I guess stranger things have happened in baseball, although I can't recall many like this hypothetical.

Lucroy would just be too expensive.

Prohibitive.

He's become a building block again by virtue of his being healthy and productive.

Phillips, Bruce, Homer Bailey...maybe even Votto (although his numbers are down right now), that's who they are most looking to deal. And Devin Mesoraco has gone from one of the most promising catchers in baseball to an enigma.

We would be better off looking at Gattis than Lucroy in terms of asking price...or Russell Martin if the Blue Jays don't pull out of their tailspin, although there's a possibility he's toast.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 10, 2016 -> 12:16 AM)
http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2016/5/9/11641...ight-now-ranked

The most interesting name from this list (assuming we're moving off the replacing Avi bandwagon temporarily) is James Shields (before you stop reading, make sure to pay attention to the argument in the original column)...how they could/would get him to opt-out of his contract at the end of the season, no idea why that would be in his best interest unless he was so desperate to pitch for a contending team again he agreed to a buyout from the Padres so he could finish this year elsewhere and go back out on the market again.

Guess it just depends on how much he believes he has left in the tank and how willing he and his agent are to surrender the final two years on that terrible contract. I guess stranger things have happened in baseball, although I can't recall many like this hypothetical.

Lucroy would just be too expensive.

James Shields CAN opt out of his deal at the end of this season, just like I CAN opt out of my job today. That doesn't make either one of us less likely to do so, or less stupid if we did do so.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 10, 2016 -> 07:56 AM)
James Shields pitching half his games in USCF, and expecting it to go reasonably well, is almost as ridiculous as thinking there would be a chance he would opt out of his contract.

Guys. I can hit Shields. Literally. Grew up playing with him and raked the dude. Stay away.

I wonder if the Yankees would have any interest in getting Tanaka off the books if they do intend of having a fire sale? Nolasco's peripherals dont look too bad this season and I'm sure the Twins wouldnt mind having him off the books. Not sure I would want him for another season or two, but could be worse.

Edited by Dunt

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 10, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)
I wonder if the Yankees would have any interest in getting Tanaka off the books if they do intend of having a fire sale? Nolasco's peripherals dont look too bad this season and I'm sure the Twins wouldnt mind having him off the books. Not sure I would want him for another season or two, but could be worse.

Tanaka is pitching through a partially torn UCL. Tommy John is inevitable for him at some point. He's a major stay away for me.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ May 10, 2016 -> 10:56 AM)
Tanaka is pitching through a partially torn UCL. Tommy John is inevitable for him at some point. He's a major stay away for me.

Ya, I'd be very wary of a deal for him myself, just throwing out ideas. What about Eovaldi?

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 10, 2016 -> 11:02 AM)
Ya, I'd be very wary of a deal for him myself, just throwing out ideas. What about Eovaldi?

I think Eovaldi might be a guy Coop can make a lot better. He throws gas.

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 10, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)

Nolasco has always had OK peripherals, but the ERA never seems to match, there's always been a big gap. He's a consistent underperformer, and I don't think it's a fluke.

Was going to suggest that perhaps we could take on the remainder of Weaver's contract for little to no prospect cost....but then I saw his FB average velocity is down to 82 MPH this year. Goodness gracious no to that option. No wonder he's so much worse.

Hector Santiago?

Not that it's the right fit for us anyway, but I don't see the Angels trading Trout, even if they're the worst team in baseball. He's the kind of player that fans come to the park to see regardless of how good the team is doing.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ May 10, 2016 -> 11:25 AM)
Was going to suggest that perhaps we could take on the remainder of Weaver's contract for little to no prospect cost....but then I saw his FB average velocity is down to 82 MPH this year. Goodness gracious no to that option. No wonder he's so much worse.

Hector Santiago?

Not that it's the right fit for us anyway, but I don't see the Angels trading Trout, even if they're the worst team in baseball. He's the kind of player that fans come to the park to see regardless of how good the team is doing.

Understatement of the Year

CarGo, Reyes, and Gray for Danish, Guerrero, Lowry, and Engel.

Sox take on dead/bad money and an underperformer in Gray who still has upside. Rockies get some pitching prospects that all have a MLB floor and could end up as rotation pieces and a high upside guy and AFL MVP in Engel.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 10, 2016 -> 10:49 AM)
CarGo, Reyes, and Gray for Danish, Guerrero, Lowry, and Engel.

Sox take on dead/bad money and an underperformer in Gray who still has upside. Rockies get some pitching prospects that all have a MLB floor and could end up as rotation pieces and a high upside guy and AFL MVP in Engel.

You might have hit on something. Rockettes would lovvve to get rid of Reyes after his suspension, which reportedly will be for 60 days. Not sure that they would have any interest in Engel.

Cargo looks great so far this year. He is going to left field a lot, and it helps his average/OPS.