The Bench

Dunt

I think it's time to send Sanchez back to AAA and DFA Sands. The bench needs more versatility and these guys are just brutal honestly. Give Hayes and Coats a try against this next part of the schedule and see if they can contribute to this team.

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 11, 2016 -> 04:32 PM)
I think it's time to send Sanchez back to AAA and DFA Sands. The bench needs more versatility and these guys are just brutal honestly. Give Hayes and Coats a try against this next part of the schedule and see if they can contribute to this team.

I'm not sure how those two give the bench more versatility? Sanchez can play 3 IF positions. Hayes is strictly 1B and Coats is LF/RF

Hayes and Coats aren't going to be getting regular at-bats, so it will be hard for them to maintain any type of offensive rhythm.

We do need someone who can spell Abreu capably, though. He needed to be pinch-run for there in the 7th when he was obviously hurting...but apparently didn't tell anyone in the dugout or ask to be pulled.

It's also not something I can ever remember the White Sox doing in competitive seasons. Bringing in untested rookies that weren't even Top 10-15 prospects and expecting them to deliver in crucial situations off the bench.

Better off to bring back Shuck for Sands...and I'm not sure how Hayes is giving you much flexibility, other than the fact that he can probably play 1B better than Sands. Didn't Shuck also play 1B at least once last season?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2016 -> 04:43 PM)
Hayes and Coats aren't going to be getting regular at-bats, so it will be hard for them to maintain any type of offensive rhythm.

We do need someone who can spell Abreu capably, though. He needed to be pinch-run for there in the 7th when he was obviously hurting...but apparently didn't tell anyone in the dugout or ask to be pulled.

It's also not something I can ever remember the White Sox doing in competitive seasons. Bringing in untested rookies that weren't even Top 10-15 prospects and expecting them to deliver in crucial situations off the bench.

Better off to bring back Shuck for Sands...and I'm not sure how Hayes is giving you much flexibility, other than the fact that he can probably play 1B better than Sands. Didn't Shuck also play 1B at least once last season?

I don't remember saying they need to be in in crucial situations, only that they'd provide better depth.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2016 -> 10:20 PM)
Erik Johnson and Carlos Sanchez packaged together can get ____________ back in return.

Fill in the blank.

And no, Gordon Beckham or a bag of balls aren't acceptable answers.

Jay Bruce

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2016 -> 10:20 PM)
Erik Johnson and Carlos Sanchez packaged together can get ____________ back in return.

Fill in the blank.

And no, Gordon Beckham or a bag of balls aren't acceptable answers.

Nolan Arenado!

I'd go with DFA Sands, bring back Shuck.

Option Carroll, bring up Ynoa until Petricka comes back.

And I'd be looking hard for a super utility guy that can play the OF well and can play the IF if needed. I don't know how good a guy like Kelly Johnson is in the OF, but he'd be the general type of guy I think the Sox need. Doesn't have to be a sexy move. Then when we acquire our big LH bat later this summer, you either send Shuck back down or DFA Johnson (or the like).

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 11, 2016 -> 06:43 PM)
Sanchez will hit. He's a notoriously slow starter. Sands needs to go, and Shuck can replace him.

Sanchez didn't hit last year when he was given the opportunity. That's why Lawrie was brought in for better offense. I really don't see him being more to the team then part of a trade package at this point.

It's not clear to me to Saladino deserves PT over Sanchez. I can see reasons why (probably the better defensive SS), but I don't think it's clear cut that he would outhit Sanchez if both are given opportunity. In fact, I think there's a chance Sanchez would outhit Saladino by plenty to make up for whatever defensive differences there are. Saladino finally got a couple hits yesterday, so that helps his cause. Both players botched a must-have-contact situation in that game

I'm not giving up on Sanchez in my mind. I'd rather see him in AAA though getting AB's. The guy is still young.. like 23 or 24. He does well at AAA everytime he's down there. In reality his ceiling might be a very good bench player. Top out at a Chris Getz career. 2-3 years starting, then backup for 2-3 more years.

Shuck has been playing 1b in the minors I believe. By the time we play Houston at home next week I think he'll be up.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ May 12, 2016 -> 12:57 PM)
I'm not giving up on Sanchez in my mind. I'd rather see him in AAA though getting AB's. The guy is still young.. like 23 or 24. He does well at AAA everytime he's down there. In reality his ceiling might be a very good bench player. Top out at a Chris Getz career. 2-3 years starting, then backup for 2-3 more years.

Shuck has been playing 1b in the minors I believe. By the time we play Houston at home next week I think he'll be up.

You have to at least play him as often as Saladino has played if you're going to keep him up, that's for sure.