Is Tim Anderson Ready?

professa

Tim Anderson  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Should the White Sox call up Tim Anderson?

• Yes, he has proven that he can hit AAA pitching and the Sox need him
    • No, he still needs to work on his defense and plate discipline

I'm tired of the incompetence the Sox have at SS. Rollins just doesn't have it anymore and Saladino, while good with the glove, is just not an everyday player. Anderson leads the IL in hits and has an average over .300. I haven't watched any Knight games, so I'm not sure how his defense has been, but at this point with the Sox struggling at the plate, you have to think Anderson would fill the #2 hole in the lineup nicely. The question is, would calling him up this early impede his development? I know Soxnet projects his ETA to be September/2017 (last time I checked), but have the circumstances changed?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (professa @ May 25, 2016 -> 04:25 PM)
I'm tired of the incompetence the Sox have at SS. Rollins just doesn't have it anymore and Saladino, while good with the glove, is just not an everyday player. Anderson leads the IL in hits and has an average over .300. I haven't watched any Knight games, so I'm not sure how his defense has been, but at this point with the Sox struggling at the plate, you have to think Anderson would fill the #2 hole in the lineup nicely. The question is, would calling him up this early impede his development? I know Soxnet projects his ETA to be September/2017 (last time I checked), but have the circumstances changed?

No, you do not rush a prospect based on the performance of the ML team. When he is ready, the little thermometer will pop up.

He's still got a lot to work on, doesn't mean he can't do that in the major leagues though. At this point he's probably the best shortstop in our organization so get him up here and let him take his lumps and continue to develop at the majors.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (The Mighty Mite @ May 25, 2016 -> 04:29 PM)
I'm not sure, I say put Saladino out there everyday until Anderson is ready. Release Rollins, why the hell did we sign an over the hill SS to begin with. And while we're at it, it's time to say goodbye to Ventura.

Rollins is actually really good vs LHP.

QUOTE (The Mighty Mite @ May 25, 2016 -> 05:29 PM)
I'm not sure, I say put Saladino out there everyday until Anderson is ready. Release Rollins, why the hell did we sign an over the hill SS to begin with. And while we're at it, it's time to say goodbye to Ventura.

Your rationale does not make sense. Hahn decided to sign Rollins not Ventura. So we should say goodbye to Hahn.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 25, 2016 -> 03:55 PM)
He turns 23 on June 23. He had experience playing in college. Why isn't he "ready?" I'd bring him up on June 23.

Huge difference between Mississippi JC ball and the SEC/ACC level of competition.

You really think timing it with his bday matters? We might as well argue because it's Michael Jordan's number, and that's his favorite athlete, since basketball was his first love...

Whatever we do, please stop batting Rollins second. He is a momentum killer. It makes 0 sense to have an automatic out batting in between or best hitters simply due to the fact that we cling to some outdated traditional notion of what a 2 hitter should be.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ May 25, 2016 -> 04:00 PM)
Your rationale does not make sense. Hahn decided to sign Rollins not Ventura. So we should say goodbye to Hahn.

Well, since we can't seem to "release" an owner that refused to give up a draft pick when we could have had Desmond and/or Fowler...guess that will work. Question is who falls on their sword first, the manager who relies on the GM for players or the GM who depends on the ownership for resources?

Usually, it's the manager...just the way it works in baseball or the business world. ---t always trickles down the chain of command.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 25, 2016 -> 03:40 PM)
His BB/K % is atrocious. He'd K 170 times in MLB.

If you wait to promote Anderson until he has a *good* BB/K ratio, there's a chance he'd never get promoted to the majors in the first place. He's posting an above average batting line in AAA and he fills a position of need. Not all development needs to occur at the minor league level. If they think his defense wouldn't be a downgrade from the Rollins/Saladino duo, then I'd be in favor of promoting him very soon.

1) It's a no brainer. Bring him up.

2) The only good thing that has happened the last couple of games is that Abreu has started to hit.

3) Even if Abreu keeps hitting the lineup has too many outs in it.

4) Neither of the present White Sox shortstops can hit. Anderson CAN Hit. If he can just make the routine plays at shortstop everything will be fine.

5) I don't see Hahn making any immediate trades to help this teams offense now. It seems to me the best way to help this team offensively right now is to bring

up Anderson.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 25, 2016 -> 04:55 PM)
He turns 23 on June 23. He had experience playing in college. Why isn't he "ready?" I'd bring him up on June 23.

Age does not determine readiness. He isn't ready because he isn't playing the way the organization wants him to when he is ready for the MLB.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ May 25, 2016 -> 05:38 PM)
If you wait to promote Anderson until he has a *good* BB/K ratio, there's a chance he'd never get promoted to the majors in the first place. He's posting an above average batting line in AAA and he fills a position of need. Not all development needs to occur at the minor league level. If they think his defense wouldn't be a downgrade from the Rollins/Saladino duo, then I'd be in favor of promoting him very soon.

Maybe that's the key. Remember Josh fields? He was ready except for the K rate. Maybe they learned their lesson and will leave him down there to at least work on it at AAA for more than 40 games.

QUOTE (He Gawn @ May 25, 2016 -> 05:02 PM)
Whatever we do, please stop batting Rollins second. He is a momentum killer. It makes 0 sense to have an automatic out batting in between or best hitters simply due to the fact that we cling to some outdated traditional notion of what a 2 hitter should be.

^

QUOTE (He Gawn @ May 25, 2016 -> 05:02 PM)

Where should the worst hitters bat in the lineup then? Do you put them all in a row at the bottom to make sure there is an inning where nothing happens?

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 25, 2016 -> 06:23 PM)
Where should the worst hitters bat in the lineup then? Do you put them all in a row at the bottom to make sure there is an inning where nothing happens?

Yes. Maximizing the number of PA's given to your best hitters while minimizing the number of PA's given to your worst hitters sounds like optimal lineup construction to me.