Fire Robin. Bring Back Ozzie. Do It Now

sin city sox fan

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, someone wrote the last time a Sox manager was fired by a GM who hadn't hired him was 1981...

I was working with the Pirates at that time (94-95) and at least missed the angst of the playoffs being cancelled because I was too busy.

Lamont was subsequently hired by Pittsburgh (Leyland connection) and spent quite a bit of time with GreenJackets scouting/consulting/observing. I specifically never mentioned anything about the White Sox because I knew it would be a sore subject and too recent, but he was super nice and chatted about a lot of other things. He really enjoyed YMCA, even though we played that damn song over and over again, and the Macarena. He was gracious enough to sign the framed Tribune cover I had with Bo Jackson on the cover from when the Sox won the division in 1993. Lots of fun times at Hooters with him and Jeff Banister and Chuck Tanner's son Bruce.

Joe Posnanski (one of my favorite sports writers of all-time) was there as well and would soon leave for greener pastures in KC. Mike Berardino also, think he's in Minneapolis now, worked for BA prior to Augusta.

Finally, Rocky Bridges, who was ancient as hell but still working for the Pirates...he had the best stories of any coach/former player I've ever met, could have put Harrelson to shame. Has one of the all-time classic Topps baseball cards, too. Can't remember, it was a 1950's one, I think with Indians.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 25, 2016 -> 06:25 PM)
Drake LaRoche would be another option. Since apparently school isn't cool or fun.

And Harold Baines as manager would have the quietest press conferences of any manager in MLB history.

What was that again, Harold?

Heck, give me Sandberg. At least the guy has an experience...albeit with a garbage organization at the time.

Let's see. Sandberg as manager. Rafael Palmeiro as hitting coach, Greg Maddux to replace Cooper.

Andre Dawson outfield/baserunning coach, asst. hitting instructor. Sosa can do something if Man-Ram can with the Cubs.

Maybe Rick Sutcliffe or Joe Carter can have roles as well.

That would at least annoy Cubs' fans. Lou Brock and Fergie Jenkins as ambassadors to replace Skowron and Minoso, too.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 25, 2016 -> 06:32 PM)
Let's see. Sandberg as manager. Rafael Palmeiro as hitting coach, Greg Maddux to replace Cooper.

Andre Dawson outfield/baserunning coach, asst. hitting instructor. Sosa can do something if Man-Ram can with the Cubs.

Maybe Rick Sutcliffe or Joe Carter can have roles as well.

That would at least annoy Cubs' fans. Lou Brock and Fergie Jenkins as ambassadors to replace Skowron and Minoso, too.

At least Ryne has experience. It's no more asinine than bringing Ozzie back.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (Deadpool @ May 25, 2016 -> 05:10 PM)
Hire a real manager. Heck, give Renteria a shot.

I'd take Renteria...maybe that's why he was brought in...in case this team fell flat on it's face again. That being said...some sort of change is needed. My first move would be s***canning Steverson....if for nothing else to start making people accountable and serving as a wakeup call.

QUOTE (Wanne @ May 25, 2016 -> 07:10 PM)
I'd take Renteria...maybe that's why he was brought in...in case this team fell flat on it's face again. That being said...some sort of change is needed. My first move would be s***canning Steverson....if for nothing else to start making people accountable and serving as a wakeup call.

Certainly not a bad place to start. Its time to clear out the dead wood. Including perhaps don cooper.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 25, 2016 -> 06:37 PM)
Certainly not a bad place to start. Its time to clear out the dead wood. Including perhaps don cooper.

I'm always on the fence with Cooper. Firing Cooper because someone better is out there is no like firing Ventura because someone better is out there.

I don't know if firing Robin is the right move right now but this team needs to turn it around fast. Their June schedule is absolutely brutal. If they continue playing the way they are they'll be in 4th place come July 1st.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 26, 2016 -> 02:19 AM)
I totally worship Ozzie but he's done because of P.C. He'll never get a GM/owner to hire him. Too risky cause of the bulls*** political correctness era we are in.

Ozzie didn't get fired because of what he said. He got fired because of what he did. Which is underachieve in 2011 and walk out on the club before the season was even over.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 26, 2016 -> 07:28 AM)
Ozzie didn't get fired because of what he said. He got fired because of what he did. Which is underachieve in 2011 and walk out on the club before the season was even over.

I won't comment on what you said because my opinions are well known on the matter and my love of Ozzie got me suspended before because of my behavior in threads about Ozzie. Let's just say I disagree.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 26, 2016 -> 12:58 AM)
I won't comment on what you said because my opinions are well known on the matter and my love of Ozzie got me suspended before because of my behavior in threads about Ozzie. Let's just say I disagree.

Poop.

( oh No he didn't )