Austin Jackson miniscus surgury, Webb TJ surgery, Petricka out for sea

BigHurt3515

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 07:52 PM)
As I suggested in the post, Lucroy is the left handed bat, which the Brewers are willing to trade, preferably to a team that will take Braun's salary.

Lucroy would only be signed through next year, if the team exercised the very reasonable option. Hopefully, Collins could be ready to provide the left handed bat, by 2018, although it's very unlikely that he would be ready to catch.

If the White Sox need 2 bats, and you're penciling in a guy for 2018, then they need 4 bats, because they have Frazier and Lowry through 2017. Hell so is Lucroy.

And if they were to say, trade for Braun...that's adding a guy paid $56 million from 2018-2020, and $33 million in 2016-2017. They may well have the money to do that. But ask yourself whether they will be able to add that contract, keep their rotation together and improving...and still find a way to retain Frazier as he gets towards his mid-30s. Or replace Frazier. Or whatever.

Maybe they can. But when you're adding multiple players and saying they need multiple players..."where are they getting the money to keep these guys" matters.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lawrie is not the problem as much as Cabrera and Frazier.

You're talking about replacing 2 of the 4 best offensive players on the team, assuming Abreu returns to his power-hitting form and Eaton's the other.

You're betting an awful lot of money on James Shields and Ryan Braun when you should be doing everything in your power to find players in their 26-30 age range to have an elongated contention window.

How confident is anyone in guys like Braun, Cargo or Bruce lighting up the AL Central?

If you're going to add someone, it's better to go "buy low" on Puig than pay at maximum possible price...that almost never works out favorably.

And, as Balta noted...you're having to spend even more money on the rotation (on top of bad) if Shields is a flop, Gonzalez fades...which is incredibly expensive on the FA market.

Burdi looks more like a reliever (although his LOU coach is convinced he has the array of pitches to start) and Hansen could become a diamond in the rough or never make it past AA. That would just leave us with zero depth, because Fulmer and Adams would definitely be going in that trade, there's no way around it.

Edited by caulfield12

I would not sign Braun because of PEDS, lying about PEDS, and the possibility that he uses again. Zach Collins may have eliminated the need for a long term solution at catcher so I would not bother with Lucroy.

Realistically there may just be too many holes to fill this season considering the talent that is or will become available in the market, the budget for player contracts, and a shallow pool of minor league talent to draw from. It may well be time to start looking toward next season.

The Sox are near the bottom of the League, in almost every offensive category. It's hard to argue with those who assert that there are just too many holes to fill.

However, the front office is obviously determined to try.

You have to admire Quintana's ability to just go out and do his job, in spite of the unbelievably poor offensive support that he has received, over the last 3 seasons.

When you consider how underpaid he is, at least by MLB standards, he could justifiably have plenty to complain about. Sometimes I almost wish that the front office would fix this pathetic offense, just for him. He certainly deserves much better.

There hasn't been much clamor, or speculation, regarding a new hitting coach. What has Steverson done for this group? There needs to be some accountability somewhere. We all love to complain about Ventura, but what the hell is he supposed to do with the offensive production, with which he has had to work?

Is there anyone, any where, who might help these hapless hitters? "Where have you gone" Walt Hriniak? I just learned that he is still alive, and just turned 73.

Maybe they should give him a call. Seriously, is there anyone who could help?

Start hitting more to the opposite field, move around in the batter's box, choke up, swing at more first pitch strikes. Do something different, because whatever they are all doing, is not working. It's getting really hard to watch this team. When you consider that the North Siders have the best record in baseball, it's remarkable that the Sox have any fans left, at all. Well, I feel much better, now that I got that "off my chest".

Hey, why not bring up Jason Bourgeois, to play CF? I've always liked the guy, going back to his first tour with the Sox. He's tearing up the International League, hitting almost .400, between Reno and Charlotte. The best part is that he's hitting RHP even better than lefties, albeit in only 62 at bats. But he has always hit RHP pretty well.

Is he still running pretty well? He used to be a speed burner. Could he provide adequate defense in CF? Hell, he can't be much less productive at the plate, than Jackson was.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 12, 2016 -> 03:53 AM)
The Sox are near the bottom of the League, in almost every offensive category. It's hard to argue with those who assert that there are just too many holes to fill.

However, the front office is obviously determined to try.

You have to admire Quintana's ability to just go out and do his job, in spite of the unbelievably poor offensive support that he has received, over the last 3 seasons.

When you consider how underpaid he is, at least by MLB standards, he could justifiably have plenty to complain about. Sometimes I almost wish that the front office would fix this pathetic offense, just for him. He certainly deserves much better.

There hasn't been much clamor, or speculation, regarding a new hitting coach. What has Steverson done for this group? There needs to be some accountability somewhere. We all love to complain about Ventura, but what the hell is he supposed to do with the offensive production, with which he has had to work?

Is there anyone, any where, who might help these hapless hitters? "Where have you gone" Walt Hriniak? I just learned that he is still alive, and just turned 73.

Maybe they should give him a call. Seriously, is there anyone who could help?

Start hitting more to the opposite field, move around in the batter's box, choke up, swing at more first pitch strikes. Do something different, because whatever they are all doing, is not working. It's getting really hard to watch this team. When you consider that the North Siders have the best record in baseball, it's remarkable that the Sox have any fans left, at all. Well, I feel much better, now that I got that "off my chest".

14:$0.85M, 15:$1M, 16:$3.8M, 17:$6M, 18:$8.35M, 19:$10.5M club option ($1M buyout), 20:$10.5M club option ($1M buyout)

if eligible for arbitration as a Super 2 after 2014 (met 11/14), salaries increase to $3.4M in 2015, $5.4M in 2016, $7M in 2017, $8.85M in 2018

2020 option increases to $14M with Cy Young award in 2014-19 or $13M with second- or third-place finish in Cy Young vote in 2014-19

Realistically, Eaton/Sale/Q are all woefully underpaid, considering production.

But, for someone growing up in Colombia (and not a narcotraficante), that's an unprecedented amount of money. He doesn't seem like the type to blow it, either.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=m...itting/2016/ALL

The simple answer is he has been a 627 OPS hitter over his entire MLB career. And he's 34-35 now. Sure, it's POSSIBLE he has discovered something, but those numbers were mostly put up in his "prime years" athletically, and now he's much closer in terms of wear and tear on his body to Jimmy Rollins.

For whatever it's worth, they seemingly feel that Shuck or Coats can give them more. You can definitely argue it. Leury Garcia as well, although we're much more familiar with his inability to hit.

That's why Charlotte statistics can be so misleading.

Edited by caulfield12

If Anderson hits and can be moved up to the 2-spot, would anyone be opposed to Bourgeois or Leury Garcia patrolling center and hitting 9th? Don't really know how they're doing defensively, but it could add another solid defender in center pushing Eaton back to right with more speed and flexibility on the roster.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 11:07 AM)
If Anderson hits and can be moved up to the 2-spot, would anyone be opposed to Bourgeois or Leury Garcia patrolling center and hitting 9th? Don't really know how they're doing defensively, but it could add another solid defender in center pushing Eaton back to right with more speed and flexibility on the roster.

No. They won't win with that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 11:10 AM)
No. They won't win with that.

Most likely not, but just tossing out an idea til Jackson comes back or they trade for someone better. Not really big on the current situation.

Edit: I'd take either on the bench over Shuck at the very least.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 11:07 AM)

No but I'd rather have either guy than Shuck on the bench. At least they can play CF and they can both steal a bag.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 03:13 PM)
The Sox entered the off season needing several players to fill some glaring holes. Unfortunately, their less than impressive acquisitions have not really improved the team very much. Jackson was not one of the coveted top tier choices for an outfielder, who could also provide offense. Now he is gone for a good portion of the remainder of the season. They still need a left handed, middle of the order bat, which they probably never had in La Roche, and when he left that removed any doubt.

They got two catchers, in an attempt to upgrade over Flowers and Soto, but that isn't proving to be a success either.

At this point, they have signed Morneau, who will have to DH. Therefore, Bruce is not a viable acquisiton target, because he would have to play the outfield, and that would severely weaken the defense. Next year, they will still need another outfielder, as Melky and Eaton would be the only proven outfielders on the roster.

The Brewers seem intent on trading Lucroy and are hoping that someone will take Braun and his salary, in the deal. That would fill two holes on this roster, and transform this pathetic offense into something pretty respectable. What would it take in young talent, if the Sox agreed to take on all of Braun's salary?

Line up for a second half post season run:

CF Eaton

DH Morneau

1B Abreu

LF Melky

RF Braun

C Lucroy

3B Frazier

2B Laura

SS Anderson

Regarding Braun's ability to play RF, this might be of interest:

http://www.brewcrewball.com/2016/2/15/1099...ryan-brauns-arm

The alternative would be to switch Melky and Braun, with Cabrera moving to RF. Neither option is very appealing defensively, but they both catch the ball, albeit with limited range.

I see that the Giants are discussing Braun, with the Brewers. I still think that Braun and Lucroy would look awfully good in this lineup. When Morneau is activated, it could look even better. If Ventura wants to continue the Anderson leading off and Eaton in the 2 hole experiment, it might look like this:

SS Anderson

CF Eaton

1B Abreu

DH Morneau

LF Braun

RF Cabrera

C Lucroy

3B Frazier

2B Lawrie

That would transform what has been one of the League's most inept offenses into one of the best. I especially like having decent average and OBP hitters bunched together, from two through seven. It wouldn't be unrealistic to expect OBP's of .350 or better from all 6 of those hitters. Let Frazier hit his solo homers, further down in the lineup. It would be a nice mix of average, OBP and power, as well as adding at least one more badly needed left handed bat.

If JR is willing to open his wallet, it might not take much in prospect talent, something which this organization severely lacks.

It would upgrade the offense in the outfield, catcher and DH, without significantly downgrading the defense, or further depleting the farm system.

Concerns over Braun's age and past use of PEDS are understandable. However, if the Sox are really serious about competing, they need to make this kind of a bold move.

Lillian, your expectations of Justin Morneau seem to be sky high.

Think we need to be a bit more restrained in our projections for him, at least until he can prove something on his rehab assignment. Pinning the second half hopes on a career comeback, and adding Braun/Lucroy to go along with him...well, I guess it's no crazier than adding James Shields, but.

Also, Anderson at leadoff so quickly with his lack of walks is the same logic (which everyone questions until he finally changed) of Yost placing their lowest OBP guy in Escobar at the top of the line-up.

Anderson's better off hitting 9th with little to no pressure on him to ignite things, or at least hitting second, which will get him more fastballs to hit with Eaton on base and also forces him to focus on just doing the "little things" in terms of moving runners along instead of trying too much to be a hero or force things.

And that Braun/Lucroy package is going to wipe out the remainder of the farm system, too.

Honestly, if you were the Brewers and building towards the future, who would you be excited about getting back? Fulmer and Adams? I'm not even sure you can see that to their fans as being enough, because you're trading away their 2 best remaining players.

In the short-term, they just need to figure out a way how to limit Shuck/Coats at-bats and Avi Garcia appearances in the outfield.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 06:49 AM)
Lillian, your expectations of Justin Morneau seem to be sky high.

Think we need to be a bit more restrained in our projections for him, at least until he can prove something on his rehab assignment. Pinning the second half hopes on a career comeback, and adding Braun/Lucroy to go along with him...well, I guess it's no crazier than adding James Shields, but.

Also, Anderson at leadoff so quickly with his lack of walks is the same logic (which everyone questions until he finally changed) of Yost placing their lowest OBP guy in Escobar at the top of the line-up.

Anderson's better off hitting 9th with little to no pressure on him to ignite things, or at least hitting second, which will get him more fastballs to hit with Eaton on base and also forces him to focus on just doing the "little things" in terms of moving runners along instead of trying too much to be a hero or force things.

And that Braun/Lucroy package is going to wipe out the remainder of the farm system, too.

Honestly, if you were the Brewers and building towards the future, who would you be excited about getting back? Fulmer and Adams? I'm not even sure you can see that to their fans as being enough, because you're trading away their 2 best remaining players.

In the short-term, they just need to figure out a way how to limit Shuck/Coats at-bats and Avi Garcia appearances in the outfield.

To respond to a few of your valid points:

My expectations for Morneau are not really that high, although I never actually stated them. I would expect him to be a decent average hitter, with an OBP of .350 or better, and represent at least a power threat.

"Wiping out the remainder of the farm system" is a legitimate concern, but then what exactly is there that is so valuable? That brings us to the more valid question regarding what the Brewers would be willing to accept. I think the key would be taking on all of the Braun salary.

Where Anderson bats is not an issue for me. I merely put him at the top, because that seems to be the plan. If he bats 9TH, that would mean that the top 6 hitters would all potentially be .350 OBP hitters. OBP is perhaps the biggest problem with this current roster.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 09:31 AM)
To respond to a few of your valid points:

My expectations for Morneau are not really that high, although I never actually stated them. I would expect him to be a decent average hitter, with an OBP of .350 or better, and represent at least a power threat.

"Wiping out the remainder of the farm system" is a legitimate concern, but then what exactly is there that is so valuable? That brings us to the more valid question regarding what the Brewers would be willing to accept. I think the key would be taking on all of the Braun salary.

Where Anderson bats is not an issue for me. I merely put him at the top, because that seems to be the plan. If he bats 9TH, that would mean that the top 6 hitters would all potentially be .350 OBP hitters. OBP is perhaps the biggest problem with this current roster.

I think it's just a reference to you plugging him right in the 4th spot. I'm expecting like 6 or 7 (and that isn't with the lineup you have).

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 09:12 AM)
I think it's just a reference to you plugging him right in the 4th spot. I'm expecting like 6 or 7 (and that isn't with the lineup you have).

I understand. In that case, they could flip Morneau and Cabrera, when facing RHP. That would still accomplish breaking up the RH hitters.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 07:33 AM)
Even though our turd catchers have been producing this last week, I'd probably kill a man (Shields) to see Lucroy in a Sox uniform.

The marginal value from our catchers to Lucroy, isn't nearly as great as the marginal value between, say, our DH and any number of solid hitters. But the marginal cost of Lucroy would be immense.

Avila is a good catcher...not a great hitter, and also injury prone (which I presume is why he splits time with Navarro)

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 03:50 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 22m22 minutes ago

Sounds like there will be no timeline update on Jackson until after the All-Star break.

Yeah, he should be playing within about 2 weeks of the AS break.

• 2 weeks later...