Ventura says he'd return next year if asked

caulfield12

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sox will switch back to a manager with more fire and personality.

Not ozzie's level, but the other direction from Ventura.

They need somebody who car carve out some attention in the media world.

Robin's approach with media -- and on the field -- deadly dull.

Never says anything memorable. Sale dissing him was the final straw.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 14, 2016 -> 11:14 PM)
Sandy Alomar Jr. and Dave Martinez would both be fine.

Dave Martinez name has come up for years and he always gets passed over. Tampa Bay even passed over him. There must be some negatives involved.

Heyman was on WSCR this morning and speculated that Renteria would be the favorite to replace Robin. While that makes some sense, I can't comprehend why they wouldn't give him a two month audition if they were serious about him.

Regardless, there is zero chance Robin is back next year. Just hope he isn't the sacrificial lamb and there's some shakeup in the front office as well.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 15, 2016 -> 07:29 AM)
Dave Martinez name has come up for years and he always gets passed over. Tampa Bay even passed over him. There must be some negatives involved.

Tom Thibodeau's name came up in the NBA for >5 years before the Bulls finally hired him (hell the bulls even contracted a case of VDN when he was available) and he was a strong coach...with some negatives.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2016 -> 09:16 PM)
That actually really answers the question why they never fired Ventura in my head.

It certainly appears that Ventura has the respect of coaches, players and the front office. I Luke Robin and his style. I have never been a fan of those temper tantrum type managers

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 15, 2016 -> 06:28 PM)
It certainly appears that Ventura has the respect of coaches, players and the front office. I Luke Robin and his style. I have never been a fan of those temper tantrum type managers

I'm a fan of any manager who can get the most out of his players, put them in the best position to succeed and win games.

Strike one...two...three on Robin.

He Gone!!!!!!!!

Mark

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Aug 15, 2016 -> 03:06 AM)
The Sox will switch back to a manager with more fire and personality.

Not ozzie's level, but the other direction from Ventura.

They need somebody who car carve out some attention in the media world.

Robin's approach with media -- and on the field -- deadly dull.

Never says anything memorable. Sale dissing him was the final straw.

It's usually that way with losing organizations. You have the fiery guy, then get rid of him for low key guy; then back to fiery guy. Just hire the best guy. That man is Jim Leyland or Tony LaRussa. Talk them into it with $$$$$$$. Money talks.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 15, 2016 -> 07:28 PM)

What do we see that shows the players respect him? They have never really said much about him one way or the other (which is fitting to me).

I honestly don't care about a managers style as long as they know how to push the right buttons... temper tantrums or non really isn't even what matters.

It may not be much of Robin's fault.. but they have changed through a lot of players and gotten the same results.

It's time to try another voice.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 15, 2016 -> 11:26 PM)
It's usually that way with losing organizations. You have the fiery guy, then get rid of him for low key guy; then back to fiery guy. Just hire the best guy. That man is Jim Leyland or Tony LaRussa. Talk them into it with $$$$$$$. Money talks.

That bus sailed years ago. Not happening.

Mark

2. Robin Ventura, Chicago White Sox

The fact that Ventura was kept on to manage in 2016 was puzzling. Chicago was 85-77 in his first year, but it did not finish better than 76-86 in the subsequent three seasons.

This year, it’s been more of the same. The White Sox sit at 56-61 and are well out of playoff position. This is despite the fact that the Sox were one of baseball’s best teams in the early going, starting the year 23-10. The South Siders also had a busy offseason, landing guys like Brett Lawrie and Todd Frazier.

Chicago was built to contend this year, but that simply has not happened.

As if all of that wasn’t enough, that clubhouse seems chaotic from the outside looking in. Whether it was the Adam LaRoche saga in spring training or Chris Sale taking a knife to the team’s 1976 jerseys, the stories coming out of this team’s clubhouse have been bizarre. That reflects on the manager.

Granted, much of that may be as much of a reflection on the front office as it is on Ventura, but the front office will not fire itself.

Ventura won’t be so lucky.

Now, none of that is to say that (Chip) Hale should be blamed for the poor record. But this situation is very much like the one in Chicago with the White Sox.

Dave Stewart and Tony LaRussa aren’t likely to fire themselves for the bad personnel decisions they made. Blaming the manager is the more likely play. With that in mind, the odds certainly aren’t great for Hale to keep his job in 2017.

Of course, Hale is ONLY in his SECOND year on the job.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/f083e8a7-9b2...-danger-of.html

The Sox woes this year are not entirely Robin's fault. They have had their fair share of injuries. However, as I have said, more than a few on the team seem to not play with 100% effort. And let us not forget the lack of fundamentals from bad base running to throwing to the wrong base. I have also seen players jogging to 1st base on routine grounders. Sure, this is the big league and will be normally out, but hustle puts pressure on the other team to make the play. All it takes is hustle to try and beat the throw. If the player is safe, that is a potential run. If a player does not hustle, he shows he does not care. That to me is unacceptable at any level. This part is on Robin and management for not promoting effort is everything.

Bottom line, winning baseball starts with a winning attitude.

QUOTE (Coach @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 08:25 AM)
The Sox woes this year are not entirely Robin's fault. They have had their fair share of injuries. However, as I have said, more than a few on the team seem to not play with 100% effort. And let us not forget the lack of fundamentals from bad base running to throwing to the wrong base. I have also seen players jogging to 1st base on routine grounders. Sure, this is the big league and will be normally out, but hustle puts pressure on the other team to make the play. All it takes is hustle to try and beat the throw. If the player is safe, that is a potential run. If a player does not hustle, he shows he does not care. That to me is unacceptable at any level. This part is on Robin and management for not promoting effort is everything.

Bottom line, winning baseball starts with a winning attitude.

Robin is in his final month and a half as a White Sox manager, but let's not make things up. This team gives full effort. They have come back from being down many times, including last night. And I don't know how anyone can say they are throwing to the wrong base this season. That's just untrue.