Rumor: Obama will be part owner within 3 years

Carpe Diem

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one's a no-brainer. To go from complete irrelevance, which Jerry Reinsdorf and his ineffective management has collapsed the franchise into, to absolute relevance that an Obama ownership would surely provide, would arguably be the best thing to ever happen to our beleaguered ball club.

I doubt this is in the works right now. Maybe after he's out of office. I mean, he still has a job to do until mid january.

As for how true this is, I suspect the sox (via Scott Reifert, his one time neighbor) have sent feelers out to his staff about a partnership. I could see him taking a president or vice chairman role even with little equity in the team. But I also see him doing that with the bulls, a more likely choice given he's more of a basketball guy.

If the sox were looking at securing stadium funding after 2029, having someone with as much political capital as Obama in your ranks helps.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 28, 2016 -> 02:10 AM)
Everyone's political leanings aside, this would probably be the best possible thing to happen to the White Sox since 2005. You'd have the superstar owner that could actually draw free agents.

Would it draw in free agents who are on the right politically? Let's not forget Obama has been a very divisive president. His involvement with the team could alienate FA's just as much as attract them.

Either way, he needs to learn how to actually throw a baseball first before becoming an owner of a team.

In terms of players signing with the Sox if he was the owner? I think it'd have very little do with him or any other owner. It's quite easy. Think about it -- if you have two offers on the table...

One is with Obama's Sox and is 3 years and 50mm

One is with (insert worst person you can think of) as owner for 3 years and $60mm

Does not matter who the owner is. It's about money.

Now in terms of being able to negotiate a new place for the next stadium? Then you're talking. He could probably pull many strings to have us in a desirable part of the city or suburbs. Or at the very least have tax money put into the existing surrounding area.

Folks - keep it about baseball, not your political beefs. That's what arguing on Facebook is for.

Also, as far-fetched as the concept is, it's a fantastic ploy - if it was a reality, that gives people reason to take interest in the team on a variety of levels. This isn't just some rich guy buying in to stroke his inflated ego, it's a die hard fan, who happened to be president supporting culture and doing what most dream of. If that isn't a mile marker of what you'd want to see in ownership, you might want to re-consider your opinions on what's best for the team in the long run.

QUOTE (drowninginflame @ Nov 28, 2016 -> 04:34 PM)
Folks - keep it about baseball, not your political beefs. That's what arguing on Facebook is for.

Also, as far-fetched as the concept is, it's a fantastic ploy - if it was a reality, that gives people reason to take interest in the team on a variety of levels. This isn't just some rich guy buying in to stroke his inflated ego, it's a die hard fan, who happened to be president supporting culture and doing what most dream of. If that isn't a mile marker of what you'd want to see in ownership, you might want to re-consider your opinions on what's best for the team in the long run.

Not sure I would consider him a die hard fan. He didn't even know the name of the stadium and I doubt he can name more than a player or two that's currently on the team.

I'm not opposed to the idea, but it's not like he's a huge fan or anything.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 28, 2016 -> 04:46 PM)
Not sure I would consider him a die hard fan. He didn't even know the name of the stadium and I doubt he can name more than a player or two that's currently on the team.

I'm not opposed to the idea, but it's not like he's a huge fan or anything.

He's not a huge fan, but he's probably the most high profile White Sox fan there is, unless you count the rappers who probably only wear Sox hats as a fashion accessory.

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Nov 28, 2016 -> 04:51 PM)
He's not a huge fan, but he's probably the most high profile White Sox fan there is, unless you count the rappers who probably only wear Sox hats as a fashion accessory.

Obama

Chance the Rapper

...um...there's...that one guy

That's about it for famous fans.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 28, 2016 -> 11:19 PM)
Don't forget Michael Clarke Duncan. (RIP big guy).

Meh. I wouldn't be for or against Obama buying into the Sox. Obama is not the worst thing that could happen to the Sox.

Duncan is the reason why the 2005 World Seties DVD can't be topped.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 11:00 AM)
Duncan is the reason why the 2005 World Seties DVD can't be topped.

And how! I love hearing his voice every time I watch the WS DVD.

Funny Duncan's name came up. Just recently watched an old episode of Married With Children that Duncan made an appearance in. :lol: