2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Sep 8, 2017 -> 09:13 PM)
Recent BA article on Hankins.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/ethan...Y5IGrJuoAjgF.97

While prep pitcher isn't my preferred selection for the White Sox, kid throws some filth.

Nobody ever wants to draft HS pitchers because of the risk involved but Hankins and Rocker both look ridiculous. Kopech, Giolito and Cease were all HS pitchers. 2/3 did have TJS already though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 9, 2017 -> 07:17 AM)
Nobody ever wants to draft HS pitchers because of the risk involved but Hankins and Rocker both look ridiculous. Kopech, Giolito and Cease were all HS pitchers. 2/3 did have TJS already though.

Rockar is a big kid who is already filled out while Hankins is tall but still rather skinny. He is gonna add velocity as he fills out. He is just a wow prospect. Doubt the Sox would go with a high school arm in the top 3 of the draft, though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 9, 2017 -> 07:17 AM)

Last night Hawk and Stone touched on this. Hawk said he won't let his grandson throw a breaking ball until he's 18, to which Stone agreed. :lol:

I think the no HS pitcher first overall is also a bit of a tradition thing. Hs pitchers are far away an might be higher risk but it is also that no scout wants to get fired because his first overall pick busts so they don't go against the convention.

The last two years the consensus best player available according to most scosts was a hs pitcher (groome and green) and both fell some albeit groome a lot more. Also many teams now like college picks because they get to the show earlier, if you want a hs pick it has to be a fast athletic guy who can play center or shortstop. Maybe that even is a market inefficiency but at a top3 pick everyone wants to play it safe.

WOW! I love how this kid works. Super fast. He is ready to throw before the batter is even in the box. I also like how he changes how long he pauses in his step back/sideways. Sometimes it's super fast where it barely seems like his foot is hitting the ground while other times he pauses for a second or two. After that video of him.. I am hooked haha

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Sep 10, 2017 -> 07:43 AM)
if you want a hs pick it has to be a fast athletic guy who can play center or shortstop.

and for good reason; also need some power potential.

I'm more of a volume guy on pitching. Draft a lot of it, but because of the high wash-out rate, I wouldn't use the top few picks on it.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Sep 10, 2017 -> 12:38 PM)
WOW! I love how this kid works. Super fast. He is ready to throw before the batter is even in the box. I also like how he changes how long he pauses in his step back/sideways. Sometimes it's super fast where it barely seems like his foot is hitting the ground while other times he pauses for a second or two. After that video of him.. I am hooked haha

Yeah, he could teach Strohman a thing or two.

Jim Callis was on Garfien's podcast and basically said the top three in the 2018 Draft after the summer were: Turang, Singer and Hankins. Callis did not talk a lot about the players individually, but did not seem to think there was another college pitcher on/near Singer's level. Mentioned Shane McClanahan from South Florida and Casey Mize from Auburn, but noted that McClanahan had already had TJ and Mize has had to be shut down due to fatigue multiple times already.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 05:06 AM)
Jim Callis was on Garfien's podcast and basically said the top three in the 2018 Draft after the summer were: Turang, Singer and Hankins. Callis did not talk a lot about the players individually, but did not seem to think there was another college pitcher on/near Singer's level. Mentioned Shane McClanahan from South Florida and Casey Mize from Auburn, but noted that McClanahan had already had TJ and Mize has had to be shut down due to fatigue multiple times already.

If Sox are picking top 3, it's probably a HS bat IMO. I wouldn't be opposed to taking Hankins though. That dude is a stud.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 10, 2017 -> 05:56 PM)
Oh... to have Tatis Jr. still. :(

Ok.... divergence over. Carry on.

We seriously need to get past this. They weren't rebuilding yet when they made that trade. It happened. It's over. Not just referring to you hi8is but just the posts about Tatis in general.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 10:21 AM)
So Callis said this is the best draft since 2011.

Danny Hultzen and Trevor Bauer went 2 and 3 in that draft. With Dylan Bundy and Bubba Starling 4 and 5. A lot of better talent taken down in the draft... Hopefully the Sox don't look take a Trevor Bauer over a Lindor or Jose Fernandez.

But, man was there a lot of impact talent in that draft.

Edited by turnin' two

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 07:34 AM)
We seriously need to get past this. They weren't rebuilding yet when they made that trade. It happened. It's over. Not just referring to you hi8is but just the posts about Tatis in general.

It's over but it still hurts and will likely just keep stinging more. That all gets erased when we're a powerhouse. Until then, it's the line thorn remaining.

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 12:26 PM)
Danny Hultzen and Trevor Bauer went 2 and 3 in that draft. With Dylan Bundy and Bubba Starling 4 and 5. A lot of better talent taken down in the draft... Hopefully the Sox don't look take a Trevor Bauer over a Lindor or Jose Fernandez.

But, man was there a lot of impact talent in that draft.

Right now it's lining up to look like pitchers slotting into 2-3 but in terms of profile I'd really like this to be a prep SS year for the sox. Don't get many shots at those guys.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 01:21 PM)
It's over but it still hurts and will likely just keep stinging more. That all gets erased when we're a powerhouse. Until then, it's the line thorn remaining.

Be happy that the were at least able to identify a talent like that in the prelim stage.

It does sting, but the Sox still have a top 2 system in the game. And frankly, they'd have probably screwed up his development, LOL. He'd have hit .240 in Great Falls.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 01:24 PM)
Be happy that the were at least able to identify a talent like that in the prelim stage.

That's a good perspective, indeed. This new gestational rapport we have slowly building is much more enjoyable than in months past. Kudos. :wub: