2017 NFL off season thread

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That will be fun.

I've decided my fulcrum for Glennon is 10.5 million, anything over and I will dislike to strongly dislike, anything under I think is a fairly benign risk on a FA QB.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 09:14 AM)
He's a great complement to ODB.

For a year or two, until s*** gets crazy. Cause it always gets crazy with Marshall.

Well they cut out the crazy year (usually 3rd year). Unless Marshall decides to speed up his exit which is something he would totally do.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 10:13 AM)
That will be fun.

I've decided my fulcrum for Glennon is 10.5 million, anything over and I will dislike to strongly dislike, anything under I think is a fairly benign risk on a FA QB.

As long as there is little to no gaurented money after year 1, I'll be fine with.

Saints were said to be really high on Glennon when he came out, so ya gotta assume Pace was apart of that. I would be willing to see it play out. He was behind a god awful OL in Tampa, then Lovie got cute and brought in his guy McCown, and then Winston fell in their laps. Maybe a better situation is what he needs.

Pace would certainly be putting his reputation on the line here, and if Glennon sucks, that could be one foot out the door.

In the draft, I wanna see the Bears go Adams in the first, best corner available in the 2nd. 33rd round is where I would hope to grab a Nathan Peterman or Davis Webb.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 09:35 AM)
As long as there is little to no gaurented money after year 1, I'll be fine with.

Saints were said to be really high on Glennon when he came out, so ya gotta assume Pace was apart of that. I would be willing to see it play out. He was behind a god awful OL in Tampa, then Lovie got cute and brought in his guy McCown, and then Winston fell in their laps. Maybe a better situation is what he needs.

Pace would certainly be putting his reputation on the line here, and if Glennon sucks, that could be one foot out the door.

In the draft, I wanna see the Bears go Adams in the first, best corner available in the 2nd. 33rd round is where I would hope to grab a Nathan Peterman or Davis Webb.

Neither of those QB's are future NFL starters though. That's a wasted pick. They have to take a QB in 1st or 2nd and it should be one of the top 4 guys. That's the only way this makes sense. I'm not sure Adams is worth a top 5 pick. He didn't test well and while his tape is good, you need to check every box to go in the top 5 at that position.

I am encouraged by the fact that the Bears have what looks like to be a pretty damn good offensive line that should improve by the start of next season. If they sign Wagner for RT add a couple pieces for depth it can be a real strength (along with our running game) that will help any QB they bring in. I wouldn't be mad if they signed Glennon and then drafted one of the top three QB's with the 3 pick to groom or possibly over take the starting job by the end of the year.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 11:08 AM)
I am encouraged by the fact that the Bears have what looks like to be a pretty damn good offensive line that should improve by the start of next season. If they sign Wagner for RT add a couple pieces for depth it can be a real strength (along with our running game) that will help any QB they bring in. I wouldn't be mad if they signed Glennon and then drafted one of the top three QB's with the 3 pick to groom or possibly over take the starting job by the end of the year.

I don't think it makes sense to sign Glennon and then draft a QB at 3. Makes way more sense to me to grab the best player available at 3 and then grab a QB you like in the 2nd or the 3rd.

But the signing of Glennon really should be paired with drafting a QB.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)
I don't think it makes sense to sign Glennon and then draft a QB at 3. Makes way more sense to me to grab the best player available at 3 and then grab a QB you like in the 2nd or the 3rd.

Agree with all of this

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)

Other than those top three guys which you may be able to choose from all 3 you are likely not to find anyone who is going to amount to anything in a weaker draft for QB's. You really think the Bears are going to find their Dak Prescott somewhere in there? Historically the best QB in the leagues come out of the first round and even that isnt a great chance but they have to address this QB issue for the long term instead of p**** footing around the issue by signing mediocre stop gaps and drafting guys in the mid rounds. This cycle will never end if they keep going this way. They need to grow some balls and key in on one the top three guys. If he isnt there at 3 then fine. Or if they REALLY believe there is no chance that any of the top three will amount to anything in the NFL then fine. But I just have a hard time believing that out of Kizer, Watson and Trubisky that none of them are going to stick in this league as a good QB.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 11:35 AM)
Other than those top three guys which you may be able to choose from all 3 you are likely not to find anyone who is going to amount to anything in a weaker draft for QB's. You really think the Bears are going to find their Dak Prescott somewhere in there? Historically the best QB in the leagues come out of the first round and even that isnt a great chance but they have to address this QB issue for the long term instead of p**** footing around the issue by signing mediocre stop gaps and drafting guys in the mid rounds. This cycle will never end if they keep going this way. They need to grow some balls and key in on one the top three guys. If he isnt there at 3 then fine. Or if they REALLY believe there is no chance that any of the top three will amount to anything in the NFL then fine. But I just have a hard time believing that out of Kizer, Watson and Trubisky that none of them are going to stick in this league as a good QB.

They are paying Glennon starting QB money. Even if it's just a year of guaranteed money, Glennon is going to get the first, and best, chance to succeed this year. That means that you are using the #3 pick on a guy that isn't going to play in Year 1 (or get the practice reps) while immediately creating a QB controversy within the fanbase.

The Bears have way too many other positions of need to draft a QB at #3 - in a weak QB class at the top - when they just spent $15M on a QB in FA.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 10:43 AM)
They are paying Glennon starting QB money. Even if it's just a year of guaranteed money, Glennon is going to get the first, and best, chance to succeed this year. That means that you are using the #3 pick on a guy that isn't going to play in Year 1 (or get the practice reps) while immediately creating a QB controversy within the fanbase.

The Bears have way too many other positions of need to draft a QB at #3 - in a weak QB class at the top - when they just spent $15M on a QB in FA.

I couldnt disagree with you more. 1. Having a young QB learn the game before physically being out there every snap isnt a detriment to his development. 2. There isnt a guarantee that Glennon is going to be the starter the entire season whether it be injury or piss poor play. 3. Who cares about controversy within the fanbase? Its irrelevant.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 10:29 AM)
Supposedly it's 3 years/45 million for Glennon lol. All about guaranteed money though. I'm guessing it's only 1 year of guaranteed money.

f*** that, I'd rather have Jay for the same money

Glennon is no better than Cutler this is a lateral move at best. 15 million for a guy nobody else was going after. no matter how the money is divided in contract this is a major reach and overpay.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 11:04 AM)
Glennon is no better than Cutler this is a lateral move at best. 15 million for a guy nobody else was going after. no matter how the money is divided in contract this is a major reach and overpay.

Exactly, who is negotiating this s***?

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 10:47 AM)
I couldnt disagree with you more. 1. Having a young QB learn the game before physically being out there every snap isnt a detriment to his development. 2. There isnt a guarantee that Glennon is going to be the starter the entire season whether it be injury or piss poor play. 3. Who cares about controversy within the fanbase? Its irrelevant.

Fox wanting to win with a more experienced QB than a rookie is relevant though. With what happened last year, I don't see anyway a rookie has a chance to start this year.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 11:04 AM)

According to sprotstrac the 15 million average makes him the 23rd highest paid QB.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 11:25 AM)
Fox wanting to win with a more experienced QB than a rookie is relevant though. With what happened last year, I don't see anyway a rookie has a chance to start this year.

Why should that stop them from taking a QB at 3?

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 09:26 AM)
Well they cut out the crazy year (usually 3rd year). Unless Marshall decides to speed up his exit which is something he would totally do.

No, crazy year is year 2. Left dolphins, Jets after the second year. Also was arrested 3 times in 2007, his second year with the Broncos. Year three is when teams say "see ya"

edit: left bears after year three, after Emery did emery things