Luis Robert signing official

southsider2k5

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (hi8is @ May 20, 2017 -> 02:42 PM)
Yea... the Red Sox paid all of the luxury tax and all of Moncadas 31.5m contract and took on all of Sale's money.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/12/red-...chris-sale.html

Right. Most of the bonus money was already paid. The penalties / taxes are the Red Sox responsibility. I don't think they literally send the Sox that money. I think it remains their responsibility. They probably did send the Sox the money that was still owed to Moncada out of his bonus, however much that was.

QUOTE (hi8is @ May 20, 2017 -> 02:42 PM)
Yes, really.

No. Any money the Red Sox sent to the White Sox was to cover the remaining ~1/3 of Moncadas bonus that was still due (to Moncada). The remainder of bonus was already spent and the taxes are the Red Sox responsibility.

This money to sign Robert didn't come from the Red Sox, which is what you appear to be insinuating.

Really excited for some first hand accounts soon. Going to guess he gets every opportunity in CF so I'd guess kanny in a few weeks.

Prior to this, we basically had to have Basabe pan out or get one in a trade. Have one big bullet in the chamber now. That's how bullets work right? You put bigger ones in?

So, 19 year old who hit .400 in Cuba's last Series Nationale. Obviously he will be in the minors at some point this season...does anyone have any information or any educated guesses as to which league he will start in, and even though he is only 19, how far away is he from the majors? Is this even close to a Mike Trout situation where Trout hit the bigs when he was 19 years old? Or too early to tell? I know I remember some international scout saying Robert was the "best player on the planet"...just wondering how much of this hype is actually true.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ May 20, 2017 -> 12:46 PM)
Right. Most of the bonus money was already paid. The penalties / taxes are the Red Sox responsibility. I don't think they literally send the Sox that money. I think it remains their responsibility. They probably did send the Sox the money that was still owed to Moncada out of his bonus, however much that was.

Ok... so...

Moncada cost for White Sox = 0

Sale contract off books for White Sox = -38m

Kopech cost for White Sox = -1.5m

Robert cost for White Sox = ~45m

Sale + 6.5m = Moncada ( 0 ), Robert ( 0 ), Kopech, Basabe, Diaz

All I'm saying is that the Sale deal positioned us for this and it should be accounted for when evaluating the deal in the next few years.

QUOTE (Scoots @ May 20, 2017 -> 02:50 PM)
So, 19 year old who hit .400 in Cuba's last Series Nationale. Obviously he will be in the minors at some point this season...does anyone have any information or any educated guesses as to which league he will start in, and even though he is only 19, how far away is he from the majors? Is this even close to a Mike Trout situation where Trout hit the bigs when he was 19 years old? Or too early to tell? I know I remember some international scout saying Robert was the "best player on the planet"...just wondering how much of this hype is actually true.

His potential is huge, but I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing him in the majors or thinking the Sox got the Cuban version Mike Trout. He's going to be raw, but the talent is there for him to be a impact core player for when the Sox decide to go on a playoff run.

"Effectively...

Chris Sale = Yoan Moncada, Luis Robert, Michael Kopech, Luis Alexander Basebe, Victor Diaz "

That is a good way to think about the Sale trade. Kudos to Jerry Reinsdorf, Kenny Williams Rick Hahn, and everyone on our international scouting team that helped get this done. Don't stop now boys !

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ May 20, 2017 -> 02:50 PM)
Out of curiousity...what does MLB do with the taxes they'll collect on a signing like this? Is this what is distributed back to the smaller market teams via revenue sharing?

I actually read about this but I can't remember for the life of me. Want to say some percentage goes to players union other to operating budget.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 20, 2017 -> 12:54 PM)
Sale deal has nothing to do with this deal. Sox weren't sent money. The tax and bonus owed to Moncada was on Red Sox. White Sox wouldn't have to pay remainder of bonus anyway. That's not really agreed to. That's Red Sox obligation.

Yea, I disagree. We cleared almost the exact amount of salary from Sale that we paid Robert and we got Moncada for 0 cash expense. The Sale deal had a lot to do with this.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ May 20, 2017 -> 03:54 PM)
His potential is huge, but I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing him in the majors or thinking the Sox got the Cuban version Mike Trout. He's going to be raw, but the talent is there for him to be a impact core player for when the Sox decide to go on a playoff run.

Good to know...yeah, it will be interesting to see how he will handle our pitchers. What do you think of the possibility of a September call-up?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 20, 2017 -> 02:54 PM)
Sale deal has nothing to do with this deal. Sox weren't sent money. The tax and bonus owed to Moncada was on Red Sox. White Sox wouldn't have to pay remainder of bonus anyway. That's not really agreed to. That's Red Sox obligation.

Exactly. Completely different situations.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 20, 2017 -> 02:54 PM)

But they got Moncada into their system without paying substantial any salary. That's a pretty big discount.