5. Tigers(24) - 20

6. Mets(24) - 20

7. Reds(23) - 20

8. Braves(26) - 20

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is amazing to me how bad the Giants are. I kept thinking they'd turn it around.

It's amazing how much it holds true that the worst team in the league is so often one that thought they'd compete. Who'd have believed me if I said the Giants would finish worse than the Padres in spring training? Or that the Padres would just barely hanging on to a protected pick with 1 month left in the season?

Baseball man.

I went to look at the Padres stats thinking maybe they've had a few career years but nope, they have 1 guy with over 100 games played and over .800 OPS.

Their run differential is pretty terrible, so they are actually very lucky this year. I'd be kinda pissed if I was a pads fan, which don't exist.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 6, 2017 -> 10:01 AM)
I went to look at the Padres stats thinking maybe they've had a few career years but nope, they have 1 guy with over 100 games played and over .800 OPS.

Their run differential is pretty terrible, so they are actually very lucky this year. I'd be kinda pissed if I was a pads fan, which don't exist.

Yeah by run differential they should have the #1 pick right now, but by Base Runs they're 3rd but in the mix for 1st, and there we're 2nd to the Giants. It's kind of amazing that the Giants haven't even been unlucky, they've legitimately played like the worst team in baseball.

Edited by OmarComing25

Wednesday:

Won- Giants, Reds, A's, Mets, Braves

Lost- Phillies, White Sox, Tigers, Braves

25 days left

Team (Games left) - Sox Magic Number to have higher pick:

1. Phillies(23) - 26

2. Giants(20) - 23

3. White Sox(24)

4. A's(23) - 20

5. Tigers(23) - 19

6. Mets(23) - 18

7. Reds(22) - 18

8. Braves(24) - 18

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Sep 6, 2017 -> 09:21 PM)
Giants won, Sox and Phillies lose.

1 GB of the Giants for the 2nd pick

2.5 GB of the Phillies for the 1st pick

I understand this. The magic number from fathom - I still don't really get even after trying to figure it out for weeks. ( I'm as dense upstairs as a block of wood. )

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 6, 2017 -> 11:37 PM)
I understand this. The magic number from fathom - I still don't really get even after trying to figure it out for weeks. ( I'm as dense upstairs as a block of wood. )

flavum.

It's combined Sox losses and the other team's wins that add up to that number. When it's zero, the Sox will stay ahead of them.

Great. Philly starts a four game series in Washington tonight. Ha, this must be what Phillies fans must have thought when they saw the tribe heading to Chicago for four games.

If the Sox are destined to win one game against the Giants, please let it be against shark bait.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 6, 2017 -> 11:37 PM)

Yeah I don't get the magic bold number thing at all either lol. I'm not the only one!!!

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Sep 7, 2017 -> 10:55 AM)
Yeah I don't get the magic bold number thing at all either lol. I'm not the only one!!!

Normally the Magic Number thing is used for teams that are about to win a division, and the number goes down by one if the first place team wins, or the second place team loses.

Example- AL East

Red Sox 79-61

Yankees 74-64

How the Magic Number is figured-

Games left, plus 1, minus games ahead in loss column.

In the Red Sox case: 22 games left +1 (23) - 3 games in the loss column = 20

Their Magic Number is 20. For every Red Sox win it goes down by one. For every Yankees loss, it goes down by one.

When the Magic Number is Zero, they've clinched the AL East.

----

In the White Sox case, I did the opposite, taking in consideration they only have to be as bad as the Giants, Mets, and Tigers, and a full game worse than the rest in the bottom 9 teams in the league.

So the A's number is 20.

If the Sox go 12-12, then the A's can go 8-15, and they'd still be below the Sox in draft order. If the A's went 7-16, they'd have a better pick.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 7, 2017 -> 11:45 AM)
Normally the Magic Number thing is used for teams that are about to win a division, and the number goes down by one if the first place team wins, or the second place team loses.

Example- AL East

Red Sox 79-61

Yankees 74-64

How the Magic Number is figured-

Games left, plus 1, minus games ahead in loss column.

In the Red Sox case: 22 games left +1 (23) - 3 games in the loss column = 20

Their Magic Number is 20. For every Red Sox win it goes down by one. For every Yankees loss, it goes down by one.

When the Magic Number is Zero, they've clinched the AL East.

----

In the White Sox case, I did the opposite, taking in consideration they only have to be as bad as the Giants, Mets, and Tigers, and a full game worse than the rest in the bottom 9 teams in the league.

So the A's number is 20.

If the Sox go 12-12, then the A's can go 8-15, and they'd still be below the Sox in draft order. If the A's went 7-16, they'd have a better pick.

Fine, but what makes it so magical??