Quintana

ScootsMcGoots

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 01:45 AM)
Bellinger and Buehler was 2 guys I really really wanted from LAD, and now Bellinger has 24 HR in his first 57 MLB games, and Buehler has a 2.49 ERA, K/9 near 12, and BB/9 at 2.5 in the minors so far this year.

:(

With how many pitchers with big contracts, Ryu/Maeda/Rich Hill/McCarthy/Kazmir, counting on Urias for full season....and health concerns about Adrian Gonzalez (he might prematurely retire at end of season) at 1b, this never made any sense for LA.

Already had plenty of lefties, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 25, 2017 -> 05:25 PM)
What's wrong with McMahon? With the way he's playing this year, he's probably my favorite piece after Rogers.

His bat is fine, but we don't need more 1B / DH types. Much much much prefer Dahl, but obviously he is a more attractive piece.

Quintana and Robertson for Rodgers, Dahl and Tapia would be a great deal for the Sox.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 09:28 AM)
His bat is fine, but we don't need more 1B / DH types. Much much much prefer Dahl, but obviously he is a more attractive piece.

Quintana and Robertson for Rodgers, Dahl and Tapia would be a great deal for the Sox.

Highly unlikely Rodgers is available via trade after batting .384 in the minors this season so far with a 1.068 OPS.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 09:55 AM)
Highly unlikely Rodgers is available via trade after batting .384 in the minors this season so far with a 1.068 OPS.

I haven't looked in awhile, but a few weeks ago his home / road splits were crazy. I think he plays in an absolute bandbox.

Still think he is very intriguing, but the numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt.

I wonder if Bregman is any more available now after his modest 2017 start. Probably not, but I think the meter should go both ways...if Q's value is allowed to be perceived as lower after his mediocre start, then so should any prospects' who start slow!

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 10:03 AM)
I wonder if Bregman is any more available now after his modest 2017 start. Probably not, but I think the meter should go both ways...if Q's value is allowed to be perceived as lower after his mediocre start, then so should any prospects' who start slow!

Still doubt Bregman will be traded. You are talking about a 23 year old player with tons of potential still. In 122 games so far he has put up a .761 OPS, not great, but still very respectable for a young player.

I just don't see a match with the Astros. Outside of Tucker and Bregman, neither of whom appear to be available, there isn't much to be excited about there at all. I'm not trading Quintana for some live arms. I really hope the Sox don't deal with Houston. If I log on one days and see "Q traded to Astros," I am going to cringe, because the return may look good on paper but not actually fit the bill for what this team needs. The Yankees are a much better fit. The Rockies, Dodgers and Cubs would be as well if they were interested.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 10:37 AM)
I just don't see a match with the Astros. Outside of Tucker and Bregman, neither of whom appear to be available, there isn't much to be excited about there at all. I'm not trading Quintana for some live arms. I really hope the Sox don't deal with Houston. If I log on one days and see "Q traded to Astros," I am going to cringe, because the return may look good on paper but not actually fit the bill for what this team needs. The Yankees are a much better fit. The Rockies, Dodgers and Cubs would be as well if they were interested.

No way a deal with Houston gets done without Tucker.

QUOTE (yesterday333 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 10:50 AM)
Exactly. If Tucker, and probably Fisher as well, isn't included another team will easily beat their offer.

Agreed. If Q has 1-2 more good starts in a row, his value should be about back to

his off season level. Don't be surprised if the Yankees decide to pull the trigger. They really

are almost as good as the Red Sox and Q could help them for a long time.

QUOTE (zisk @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 01:36 PM)
Agreed. If Q has 1-2 more good starts in a row, his value should be about back to

his off season level. Don't be surprised if the Yankees decide to pull the trigger. They really

are almost as good as the Red Sox and Q could help them for a long time.

Best case is a deadline bidding war between Yankees, Astros and Dodgers for Quintana. There could be some very interesting packages that come out of that.

To teams balking at the price, how many cost controlled starters under age 30 with a track record of both 1) Health and 2) Success are available?

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 11:37 AM)

I'd trade for arms. No guarantee all of ours pan out. Fullmer, Giolito and Lopez haven't exactly dominated AAA.

I like Perez and Whitley from Houston. I'd take Fisher, Reed, Whitley, Perez (though they probably wouldn't do that).

I was actually at a Riverbandits (Astros A team) game Saturday and talked to Whitley's dad. Unrelated, just interesting.

QUOTE (striker @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 02:49 PM)
I'd trade for arms. No guarantee all of ours pan out. Fullmer, Giolito and Lopez haven't exactly dominated AAA.

I like Perez and Whitley from Houston. I'd take Fisher, Reed, Whitley, Perez (though they probably wouldn't do that).

I was actually at a Riverbandits (Astros A team) game Saturday and talked to Whitley's dad. Unrelated, just interesting.

Arms? Arms are great and all, but we need to score runs.

Out of Rodon, Kopech, Giolito, Lopez, Fulmer, Burdi, Hansen, Dunning, Adams, Stephens, Diaz, Bummer, Cooper, Clark, Thompson and the 2017 draftees and guys like Kahnle, Ynoa, Petricka, and Putnam, our rotation and bullpen should be really well covered over the next half decade. We'll be able to fill in via free agency as needed.

What we need are bats. And lots of them.

I feel like Caulfield after that post. I may need a shower.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 02:56 PM)
Arms? Arms are great and all, but we need to score runs.

Out of Rodon, Kopech, Giolito, Lopez, Fulmer, Burdi, Hansen, Dunning, Adams, Stephens, Diaz, Bummer, Cooper, Clark, Thompson and the 2017 draftees and guys like Kahnle, Ynoa, Petricka, and Putnam, our rotation and bullpen should be really well covered over the next half decade. We'll be able to fill in via free agency as needed.

What we need are bats. And lots of them.

I feel like Caulfield after that post. I may need a shower.

Austin Meadows, a guy Soxtalk wanted badly in trade rumors over the winter, just tore his hamstring and will miss a month or so. He's had a mediocre at best season in AAA and his stock has certainly slipped a bit.

It has been a tough season for Pirates prospects as Glasnow has been a disaster, Meadows has under performed and is now injured, Newman has put up a .633 OPS in AA, Keller has been solid but also dealt with injuries...

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 04:51 PM)
Austin Meadows, a guy Soxtalk wanted badly in trade rumors over the winter, just tore his hamstring and will miss a month or so. He's had a mediocre at best season in AAA and his stock has certainly slipped a bit.

It has been a tough season for Pirates prospects as Glasnow has been a disaster, Meadows has under performed and is now injured, Newman has put up a .633 OPS in AA, Keller has been solid but also dealt with injuries...

Which is why I always laugh when GMs overvalue their prospects. More often than not even good prospects bust, so you can't be afraid to trade from a prospect surplus when you have a window.

Rizzo will eventually address his pen. Just a matter of when. Clearly he'd like to avoid trading any more prospects and his best chance of that happening is by waiting and hoping the market becomes saturated with quality relievers. Whether it ultimately pays off, being patient is the right call for Rizzo IMO.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 05:51 PM)

Goes to show that prospects are lottery tickets. Your comments sum up why I believe this whole people wanting the Sox to lose to get better draft positioning is stupid. Sorry if you're one of them, but some of the best players have come from very low rounds in the draft...look at Buehrle.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 07:51 PM)
Goes to show that prospects are lottery tickets. Your comments sum up why I believe this whole people wanting the Sox to lose to get better draft positioning is stupid. Sorry if you're one of them, but some of the best players have come from very low rounds in the draft...look at Buehrle.

Buehrle is a terrible example because a pitcher is more likely to be the next Chris Sale than the next Mark Buehrle. He's the most unique pitcher of all time.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 06:51 PM)

It's not stupid. Look at the data. Guys drafted at the very top of the draft greatly outproduce their lower 1st round counterparts on average. The same applies to 1st round picks vs 2nd round picks & below. And logically this makes complete sense. You can't draft the best players in the draft if they're gone by the time it's your selection. It's really that simple. And that doesn't even factor in the benefit of having a bigger bonus pool that comes with better draft positioning. There isn't really argument to be bad here. All else being equal, you want the best draft position possible. I can't believe I actually had to type that last sentence out, but it really seems like a subset of posters don't get this.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Scoots @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 11:51 PM)

All I can say is I agree. The draft is a ridiculous crapshoot. The best way to win is sign guys like Abreu and (hopefully) Robert. I'm in favor of that cause I could give a s*** about how much money Jerry spends since the chairman and his peeps do not care about us spending 9 bucks for a hot dog and whatever it costs to park at a game.

Add to signing guys like Robert SMART drafting when your pick comes up as well as FREE AGENCY, you know, signing guys who have already done it and proven they can do it.

You can't change people's minds. Draft-niks won't admit it, but they are part of the sports cliche -- you know, the one that always is more interested in future names than current ones. I won't change my opinion; they won't change theirs. So be it. But there are so many busts out there who are deemed "prospects."

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 07:07 PM)
It's not stupid. Look at the data. Guys drafted at the very top of the draft greatly outproduce their lower 1st round counterparts on average. The same applies to 1st round picks vs 2nd round picks & below. And logically this makes complete sense. You can't draft the best players in the draft if they're gone by the time it's your selection. It's really that simple. And that doesn't even factor in the benefit of having a bigger bonus pool that comes with better draft positioning. There isn't really argument to be bad here. All else being equal, you want the best draft position possible. I can't believe I actually had to type that last sentence out, but it really seems like a subset of posters don't get this.

The one real benefit to the Sox finishing with the 8-12 versus a top 5 pick was that tradable assets being so good that the Sox hung around .500 until the deadline. That ship has basically sailed at this point - Frazier, Melky, Gonzalez, and Holland have no value.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 09:04 PM)
The one real benefit to the Sox finishing with the 8-12 versus a top 5 pick was that tradable assets being so good that the Sox hung around .500 until the deadline. That ship has basically sailed at this point - Frazier, Melky, Gonzalez, and Holland have no value.

Definitely, I'd be more than ok if guys over-performed and we lost some draft position as a result. But to say draft position is meaningless is just plain stupid and shows a complete lack of reasoning.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 10:28 PM)
Definitely, I'd be more than ok if guys over-performed and we lost some draft position as a result. But to say draft position is meaningless is just plain stupid and shows a complete lack of reasoning.

I don't think draft positioning is meaningless, but I do think it is way overhyped.