Q may get moved "sooner than you think"

Princess Dye

QUOTE (Sockin @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 11:25 AM)
Merkin: Fri--James Shields, Sat--Derek Holland, Sun--Jose Quintana

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/885173172928204801

If he stays til 7/31, Q faces Seattle, KC and Cleveland. He could move up a day between the KC and Cleveland starts since there are 2 days off.

Edited by soxfan2014

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 11:25 AM)
Just announced.

Fri - Shields

Sat - Holland

Sun - Quintana

Praise the lord. I am going Sat and Sunday and avoid Jimmy Shields. I have been to way too many of his starts. Of course, the too many number could be 1 for most. I think I have been to about 6 or 7. The only time he was decent was vs the Cubs last year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 10:50 AM)
And it wasn't Q. That was sort of taken out of context by many. It was a Hahn quote from Soxfest when someone asked him about trade timing. He said he had something that he thought would be done on Christmas Eve that didn't happen. I'm thinking it's Robertson to the Nats, because a couple of months later Hahn said there hasn't been anything close with Q.

I thought the Christmas Eve trade was the three-way with the Yankees and Pirates. Obviously, nothing was ever confirmed, but I thought it was generally assumed that Quintana was involved. IIRC, at Soxfest Hahn sais that two trades fell apart over the winter. One pretty clearly was Robertson to the Nats, the other was the Christmas Eve three way. The players involved in that three-way were never revealed. Is any of that incorrect?

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 11:27 AM)
That means if he stayed until the deadline he'd have three more starts.

7/16 vs. Seattle

7/23 vs. KC

7/28 vs. Cleveland

With two off days next week, probably 16-22-27, if he stays that long.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 11:30 AM)
Praise the lord. I am going Sat and Sunday and avoid Jimmy Shields. I have been to way too many of his starts. Of course, the too many number could be 1 for most. I think I have been to about 6 or 7. The only time he was decent was vs the Cubs last year.

I had a similar run with Hector Noesi

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 11:38 AM)
Not really. The schedule was set up that it didn't make sense to have him scheduled on the 30th or 31st, when it's crunch time.

He's pitching on seven days rest now. I think a potentially rusty start is a far bigger risk than him pitching a day or two before the deadline.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 11:43 AM)
He's pitching on seven days rest now. I think a potentially rusty start is a far bigger risk than him pitching a day or two before the deadline.

It wouldn't be fair to him or anyone to be on pace for the 30th or 31st. Sunday is the perfect day to schedule him at this point.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 11:43 AM)

And if he was scheduled to start on the 26th, it wouldn't take much to just push his next scheduled start beyond that to the 1st.

There is risk for a rusty start, but it's also a getaway day for the Mariners, so maybe they put out a weaker lineup. They could potentially have him start on the 22nd, but I'd just assume push that to the 23rd so as to avoid the Cubs entirely. They may not be what they were last year, but that's still a good offensive ball club. He's still set to face the Indians on the 28th then, who are also a good offensive team, so maybe I'm just speculating to speculate here.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 11:16 AM)
Soo...

Has a starter been announced for Friday yet?

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 11:38 AM)
Not really. The schedule was set up that it didn't make sense to have him scheduled on the 30th or 31st, when it's crunch time.

In my opinion, there's not really a difference between pitching on the 30th and the 28th. It is fairly interesting they pushed him back, and waited longer to release their probable rotation.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 09:49 AM)
And if he was scheduled to start on the 26th, it wouldn't take much to just push his next scheduled start beyond that to the 1st.

There is risk for a rusty start, but it's also a getaway day for the Mariners, so maybe they put out a weaker lineup. They could potentially have him start on the 22nd, but I'd just assume push that to the 23rd so as to avoid the Cubs entirely. They may not be what they were last year, but that's still a good offensive ball club. He's still set to face the Indians on the 28th then, who are also a good offensive team, so maybe I'm just speculating to speculate here.

I have been a big a fan of the Feathered Serpent as there is, but I'm ready for this to happen.

I hope he makes none of those starts.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 10:40 AM)
It doesn't bother me what fans think about Quintana. They don't like him because he's not a big name or a flashy player. Every GM in the league is well aware of Q's value and will pony-up accordingly. Honestly, the GMs know better in this case.

You are correct. In fact, I saw some Yankee fans posting Q is a #3 starter if added. But also remember, from a GM standpoint, because he is not a big name or flashy, he will win games but probably not give the box office an added boost. So Q's value is results in the win column but probably not at the box office which may affect the return he brings back. Sale was used immediately by Boston as a big advertising tool. If somebody takes Verlander, he will also sell tickets for a while. A GM primarily wants to get to the World Series but if he sells tickets /merchandise , that is a bonus.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)
You are correct. In fact, I saw some Yankee fans posting Q is a #3 starter if added. But also remember, from a GM standpoint, because he is not a big name or flashy, he will win games but probably not give the box office an added boost. So Q's value is results in the win column but probably not at the box office which may affect the return he brings back. Sale was used immediately by Boston as a big advertising tool. If somebody takes Verlander, he will also sell tickets for a while. A GM primarily wants to get to the World Series but if he sells tickets /merchandise , that is a bonus.

Ehhh. Bonus? Sure. I don't think fans (wrongly) underrating Quintana will ultimately affect his trade value.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)

Does that stuff really make enough of a difference though that a team would give a lesser offer for Quintana? Or on the other hand, if I were a GM I certainly wouldn't give up an extra valuable prospect just so I can potentially sell more merchandise.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 11:53 AM)
Why isn't it fair? I'm not sure I get your angle here.

If they're getting close to a deal on the 30th- that's a day game during Hall of Fame speeches- just like last night, you don't want to interrupt that. Then on Monday, yes, you can have somebody in town ready to go that night, but why do that to Q on the 31st? Much easier and common sense to go July 16, 22, and 27. And if he's still here, he'll start August 1st and get a big ovation.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)
I have been a big a fan of the Feathered Serpent as there is, but I'm ready for this to happen.

I hope he makes none of those starts.

I am in 100% agreement with this entire post. Love Q and the professional that he's been during his time in Chicago, but I'm ready for him to move so we can start to see a lot more of the kids. After Q, I would say that Robertson, Swarzak, Holland, Gonzalez, Frazier, and Cabrera all have to be dealt too at a minimum. Still think Robertson ends up in Washington.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 12:06 PM)
I am in 100% agreement with this entire post. Love Q and the professional that he's been during his time in Chicago, but I'm ready for him to move so we can start to see a lot more of the kids. After Q, I would say that Robertson, Swarzak, Holland, Gonzalez, Frazier, and Cabrera all have to be dealt too at a minimum. Still think Robertson ends up in Washington.

Kahnle too. And I get that we need to sell sell sell...but if teams don't match the price on these guys then only a few of them might move this deadline. I would say trade Frazier for whatever you can get since he's a free agent after this season. Same with melky.

QUOTE (whitesoxwinner @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 12:12 PM)
Kahnle too. And I get that we need to sell sell sell...but if teams don't match the price on these guys then only a few of them might move this deadline. I would say trade Frazier for whatever you can get since he's a free agent after this season. Same with melky.

Kahnle isn't a must go, but it would be ideal. He's got youth and team control on his side, but generally, you want to trade all the relievers you can.