Ranking the 12 Players Received in the 1st Big 3 Trades Plus IS

QUOTE (ventura_abreu @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 06:53 PM)
How would anyone rank the 12 players received in the 1st big 3 trades and "special" international signing? For me, the first 4 are easier to rank: Moncada, Jiminez, Roberts, and Kopech. I realize there may even be disagreement with the first 4. The next 8 are more difficult to put into a definite order.

Moncada

Jimenez

Robert

Kopech

Cease

Lopez

Giolito

Dunning

Basabe

Diaz

Rose

Flete

Honestly, save for Robert v. Kopech and the exact location for Cease, I don't think this is very controversial.

Oh, and I suppose there will be those who insist that Jimenez > Moncada.

1. Jimenez

2. Moncada

3. Giolito

4. Robert

5. Kopech

6. Dunning

7. Lopez

8. Cease

9. Flete

10. Basabe

11. Diaz

12. Rose

I love Moncada, but the offense tools Jimenez has are just a level beyond. It's really much more 1a and 1b, but nod to the guy who I really cannot fathom a reasonable complaint about with the bat.

I don't think many people quite understand the kind of ability currently being unlocked by.Giolito at Charlotte. Do not be fooled by the ERA, he is looking better than he has in a very long time. People are buried in the Gavin Floyd comp, and while that would definitely be nice his projections (at least to me) trend much higher than that.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 09:21 PM)
1. Jimenez

2. Moncada

3. Giolito

4. Robert

5. Kopech

6. Dunning

7. Lopez

8. Cease

9. Flete

10. Basabe

11. Diaz

12. Rose

I love Moncada, but the offense tools Jimenez has are just a level beyond. It's really much more 1a and 1b, but nod to the guy who I really cannot fathom a reasonable complaint about with the bat.

I don't think many people quite understand the kind of ability currently being unlocked by.Giolito at Charlotte. Do not be fooled by the ERA, he is looking better than he has in a very long time. People are buried in the Gavin Floyd comp, and while that would definitely be nice his projections (at least to me) trend much higher than that.

Why do people act like Gavin Floyd is a bad thing? In his 7 years here he pulled an ERA+ of 105. He also gave us 1000+ IP in about 5 and a half seasons of work. He is the kind of guy you would love to have in the 3 or 4 slot in your rotation.

Why do people act like Gavin Floyd is a bad thing? In his 7 years here he pulled an ERA+ of 105. He also gave us 1000+ IP in about 5 and a half seasons of work. He is the kind of guy you would love to have in the 3 or 4 slot in your rotation.

It definitely wouldn't be a bad thing if he had the same career as Floyd, but the way Giolito has looked for the past month or so should allow us to dream a little bigger. The difference between a good #3 and bonafide playoff ace is pretty large, and somewhere in that gap I could see Giolito landing.

1) Moncada - Similar potential to Jimenez but closer to the majors and with good speed

2) Jimenez - Potentially special hit/power combo

3) Kopech - Ace potential and looks more and more like he will be a starter

4) Robert - Huge potential but still hasn't faced higher level competition, so all projection right now

5) Giolito - Not the same can't miss prospect, but seems to have progressed at AAA and should be atleast a quality starter

6) Lopez - Similar to Giolito, but I like Giolito's secondary pitches more

7) Cease - Potentially great fastball/curve combo, but has concerns both about durability (post TJS) and 3rd pitch development, so may be a reliever

8) Dunning - Good three pitch mix and has looked good in A ball, but as a college guy I think AA will be the real test

9) Diaz - You can't teach 100mph, and I trust our ability to develop a flame-throwing reliever more than a toolshed hitter

10) Basabe - Toolshed missing a hit tool that could make all the other tools useless

11) Flete - Old for his level, but has generally had strong OBPs, so if he can be good defensively there might be some potential

12) Rose - Low averaged, power hitting corner infielder who is a lottery ticket with Joey Gallo upside?

Guys.

GUYS!

We have Yoan Moncada, Eloy Jimenez, and Luis Robert in our system. Three BLUE CHIP MOTHERF*CKERS.

Oh, but we ALSO have STUD F*CKING ARMS, TOO.

This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 11:45 PM)
I understand why he's not ranked high on many lists, but I think that we'll look back 7-8 years from now and Dunning will be the biggest pickup from any of these deals.

Dunning would have to be the next Clayton Kershaw for the others in front of him now to not be viewed as MAJOR busts if Dunning turned out to be the best of the bunch. I think he's great--but I'm not sure his ceiling is Moncada, Jimenez, Robert-high. I do hope he gets into that group though for our sake! He's an exciting/important part of this!

My list is contributions to the Sox over the next 2-5 years, not their entire careers as I don't think many will be lifers here.

Kopech - he's got the special sauce. sale type of talent if he can figure out his walks. if he does that will be a top in baseball. even without learning that he's got the ability to work out of jams with his stuff. potential to be a top 10 pitcher, regardless should be our 1/2 in the next few years.

Moncada - he's a game changer. he'll strikeout but he'll also walk and steal bases and put the ball in play. we get him when his legs matter too.

Jimenez - everybody seems to be high on him but honeslty don't know enough about him. may be the best of the bunch- im just not very educated

Dunning - think he has the best chance of being a Quintana type. Just get the work done, not overpowering, but solid. kyle Hendricks, Q type

Lopez - I like him a lot, think he's pretty much on the same path as Rodon - can be a 2/3 type guy but needs to control

Giolito - don't think he'll ever be an ace, but gavin Floyd is probably a good comparision

Robert - have a feeling he's soler 2.0

Cease - if he sticks as a starter then he may climb

Basabe - should be a solid 4 OF for a few years at the very least

Not as high on Robert as everybody else yet. let him prove himself a bit and then maybe I will be - but for now I remember the hype on people like Jorge Soler.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 05:02 AM)
This is so much better than signing bad white players...

What about bad Hispanic, African American, or Finish players? Well, I guess Finish players would be considered "white"... so, uh... yea.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 10:21 PM)
1. Jimenez

2. Moncada

3. Giolito

4. Robert

5. Kopech

6. Dunning

7. Lopez

8. Cease

9. Flete

10. Basabe

11. Diaz

12. Rose

Firm believer he'll still be our #1. Giolito-Kopech-Lopez-Hansen-Dunning, remember we had too many LHPs? (Sale, Q, Rodon, Santiago)

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 01:41 PM)
Firm believer he'll still be our #1. Giolito-Kopech-Lopez-Hansen-Dunning, remember we had too many LHPs? (Sale, Q, Rodon, Santiago)

Several guys like Law have said they still view Giolito as a potential #2, and that he has actually performed better than his statistics would indicate.

I think Hansen likely ends up as a reliever, but I hope I am wrong.

Spencer Adams is a guy to watch out for, as I think he ends up making it as a starter. If he can maintain the fastball velocity he has shown in 2017 (92-94 mph regularly) coupled with very good control, I think he will leap over guys with flashier stuff. Guys with fringy control might be able to develop average control, but plus control is almost impossible to teach.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 03:11 PM)
Several guys like Law have said they still view Giolito as a potential #2, and that he has actually performed better than his statistics would indicate.

I think Hansen likely ends up as a reliever, but I hope I am wrong.

Spencer Adams is a guy to watch out for, as I think he ends up making it as a starter. If he can maintain the fastball velocity he has shown in 2017 (92-94 mph regularly) coupled with very good control, I think he will leap over guys with flashier stuff. Guys with fringy control might be able to develop average control, but plus control is almost impossible to teach.

What makes you say that? I see him as a TOR guy, Fulmer I see as almost a lock for the 'pen

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:02 PM)
Guys.

GUYS!

We have Yoan Moncada, Eloy Jimenez, and Luis Robert in our system. Three BLUE CHIP MOTHERF*CKERS.

Oh, but we ALSO have STUD F*CKING ARMS, TOO.

The future is bright. This is so much better than signing bad white players from the Reds and finishing 10 games under .500 while "competing".

I hope those arms develop into 4 good to great starters out of the bunch and I'm including Rodon/Fulmer in the group. They were first-round picks. Hopefully Kopech, Rodon are a strong 1-2 punch for years. Pitching and defense is still key.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 08:39 AM)
I read an article that said Dunning would be 5-7 team's #1 prospect.

Also, I read another that said the Yankees and Sox have the 2 best chances of having a dynasty for the next 10 years.

The Nationals, Cubs, Houston, Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees, Phillies....all called future dynasties at some point. Reality is there are probably no dynasties.

Edited by Dick Allen