Winter Meetings 2017

Chicago White Sox

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 03:47 PM)
I really don’t think Carlos Sanchez will be on the White Sox 72 hours from now. A lot of teams are looking for 2B and Sanchez is probably one of the more attractive options.

So teams that need a 2B may be....

Yankees, Angels, and Reds?

I have a hard time imaging what Yolmer's value might be, but let's say he is a 2-3 WAR type guy now, who can play all infield positions... maybe something like

To Yankees for: RHP Jorge Guzman (#7) and OF Billy McKinney (#14)

To Angels for: OF Brandon Marsh (#6) and LHP Cole Duensing (#19)

To Reds for: C Tyler Stephenson (#8) and OF Jose Siri (#22)

Just a little note on Reds OF Jose Siri. Baseball America ranked him as the Reds best power prospect, best athlete, fastest baserunner, and best OF arm. MLB.com ranks him as #22, but BA has him as #7. He hit .293 with 24 HR and 46 SB in A-ball as a 21-year-old. This dude intrigues the hell out of me.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 08:37 PM)
The entire reason both Abreu and Avi are on the trading block is because their contracts don't fit the Sox proposed contention window.

If the choice is made to deal Abreu and/or Avi, you don't remove half of your potential suitors. You look for best possible value.

It's the same principle of not trading within the division. Don't trade to Indians, Yanks, Red Sox, Houston, and LA. Everyone else I'm okay with. Abreu and Avi will both be good baseball players when we are contending, we just don't want to pay for age and possible fall back down to Earth.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 12:12 AM)
Most everyone agrees 2020 is when the Sox "window of contention" will begin. Both Abreu and Garcia would have reached FA by then. Could they have re-signed with that team? Possibly, but the odds certainly aren't high enough to limit trading them and not receiving the best possible package possible.

Your logic doesn't add up here.

The argument for keeping Abreu is to help with the development and mentoring of young players as a leader. Doesn't mean he isn't tradeable, but at least I understand he has value outside of his performance on the field.

Avi though? Hell yeah, see what you can get for him.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 12:49 AM)
That’s not the discussion here. I understand both sides of the Abreu/Garcia issue. I actually want to keep Abreu.

My issue is the idea that the Sox shouldn’t trade Abreu and/or Avi to teams within the division or other contending AL teams. The LAST thing the Sox shouldn’t be doing is limiting their market if they choose to trade either player.

Yes

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 02:21 AM)
Someone at work asked me if I would take Rafael Devers for Abreu straight up. I thought it was an interesting question.

I would think any White Sox fan would absolutely take the 21 year old, former top 5 BA prospect, left handed hitting upside power hitter who many feel was a bit rushed last year and still more than held his own at the show. (quality over quantity IMO. Doubt Abreu nets any prospect as good as Devers) I doubt Boston does that, but hey.. maybe Dombrowski is feelin the heat by the Red Sox ownership and wants to answer that Stanton deal.. can only dream.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 03:28 AM)
I would think any White Sox fan would absolutely take the 21 year old, former top 5 BA prospect, left handed hitting upside power hitter who many feel was a bit rushed last year and still more than held his own at the show. (quality over quantity IMO. Doubt Abreu nets any prospect as good as Devers) I doubt Boston does that, but hey.. maybe Dombrowski is feelin the heat by the Red Sox ownership and wants to answer that Stanton deal.. can only dream.

I told him I probably would, given the years of control and ages, but hitching all your value in a trade of your top player for 1 prospect does seem a bit risky. I guess a lot of it would also depend on how the Red Sox view Chavis, if they think he could be a potential summer call up or if they would need a stop-gap for a year. Although I guess if they want to add power to their line-up, moving Devers would only hurt that particular aspect.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 03:34 AM)
I told him I probably would, given the years of control and ages, but hitching all your value in a trade of your top player for 1 prospect does seem a bit risky. I guess a lot of it would also depend on how the Red Sox view Chavis, if they think he could be a potential summer call up or if they would need a stop-gap for a year. Although I guess if they want to add power to their line-up, moving Devers would only hurt that particular aspect.

It would be riskier if Abreu was your top player for the entire rebuild, but they've already traded so many players with more value than him and stocked up their system, that I think you can risk that if you believe in Devers.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 11:56 PM)
It's the same principle of not trading within the division. Don't trade to Indians, Yanks, Red Sox, Houston, and LA. Everyone else I'm okay with. Abreu and Avi will both be good baseball players when we are contending, we just don't want to pay for age and possible fall back down to Earth.

Unless you are wanting to send Eloy back to the Cubs and take an inferior offer, I don't want to hear about not trading with rivals.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 03:21 AM)
Someone at work asked me if I would take Rafael Devers for Abreu straight up. I thought it was an interesting question.

I would strongly consider it if our scouts believe Devers can stick at third base. He's far less valuable if he cannot handle the position defensively and needs to move to 1B/DH. He is 6', 234 lbs and not exactly a model of fitness.

That being said, I doubt Boston makes him available and I would certainly be interested if he was.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 12:56 AM)

Why would we care who Abreu/Avi potentially got traded to? By the time we are in our window they will be free agents anyway. Why limit our trading partners?