2018 Spring Training notes and random tweets

southsider2k5

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 07:54 PM)
Sign #1 the tank is still on.

White Sox fans beware: James Shields is back and ready for Opening Day

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/white-s...pening-day/amp/

I respect all Sox players and really hope Big Game James is a solid performer this year, but when you see Fernando Tatis Jr listed as #9 on the MLBN prospect list that really stings.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Feb 16, 2018 -> 11:41 PM)
I respect all Sox players and really hope Big Game James is a solid performer this year, but when you see Fernando Tatis Jr listed as #9 on the MLBN prospect list that really stings.

Big Game James would be worth pennies if baseball still went by the old stats. I know, these stats now mean nothing.

But since 2015 when he was last good ...

2016: 6-19, 5.85 ERA

2017: 5-7, 5.23.

Give Fathom a bat. BOOM!

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Feb 16, 2018 -> 04:19 PM)
fantastic

:cheers

Sox need TA to turn into a clubhouse leader and 2-4 WAR guy. I'm certainly rooting for him. He showed a little bit at the end of last year once he was able to put the adversity behind him. The thing about TA that intrigues me is his defensive tools are absolutely elite. I've rarely seen a Sox SS with such range -- Ramirez included. His arm is average but he has a lighting quick release and as noted his range is as good as I've seen here.

He's gotta cleanup the "lazy" (more of a repetition issue imo but it comes across as lazy) routine errors he makes rounding off balls and throwing on the run. Hopefully with more experience he learns to just slow down, field the ball under the brim of his cap, square, and fire. None of this "ole" s***.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 16, 2018 -> 07:58 PM)
:cheers

Sox need TA to turn into a clubhouse leader and 2-4 WAR guy. I'm certainly rooting for him. He showed a little bit at the end of last year once he was able to put the adversity behind him. The thing about TA that intrigues me is his defensive tools are absolutely elite. I've rarely seen a Sox SS with such range -- Ramirez included. His arm is average but he has a lighting quick release and as noted his range is as good as I've seen here.

He's gotta cleanup the "lazy" (more of a repetition issue imo but it comes across as lazy) routine errors he makes rounding off balls and throwing on the run. Hopefully with more experience he learns to just slow down, field the ball under the brim of his cap, square, and fire. None of this "ole" s***.

I think he’s a pretty safe bet to be a 2 WAR player next year. I believe in him being an above average defender and his mix of speed & power offer should make him a just slightly below league average hitter. It’s the complete lack of walks that’s holding him back at the moment. If he could even get to a 5% BB rate he could be an above average starting SS. I’m not overly optimistic about that, but he’s still young so you never know.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 16, 2018 -> 10:21 PM)
I think he’s a pretty safe bet to be a 2 WAR player next year. I believe in him being an above average defender and his mix of speed & power offer should make him a just slightly below league average hitter. It’s the complete lack of walks that’s holding him back at the moment. If he could even get to a 5% BB rate he could be an above average starting SS. I’m not overly optimistic about that, but he’s still young so you never know.

Yea he needs to be about +10 runs with the glove because like you I really don't see him ever hitting much more than 270/300/430. Maybe he could have some years around 290-300 in his prime.

His strike zone command isn't going to ever get better. It's incredibly rare to see at the MLB level. Avi is the same.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 17, 2018 -> 10:24 AM)
Chuck and Guff have done an amazing job covering the rebuild over the last year. The Kopech podcast was great. I wonder if they will do another Cornerstones show this season.

Completely agree on all accounts. I also love what Kopech says about Cease too who is a personal favorite of mine in our system. Think he's going to jump in the rankings this season.

Chuck and Guff have done an amazing job covering the rebuild over the last year. The Kopech podcast was great. I wonder if they will do another Cornerstones show this season.

His podcast is refreshingly positive without homerism. Just people who sound like they love what they do.

get hyped

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBCSWhiteSox/sta...7658625/video/1

almost forget about Moncada sometimes. Very excited to see if he can put something up like 260/340/450 this year with solid defense and at times electric baserunning (or maybe boneheaded). If he can already establish himself as an above average regular in his first full season than the sky is the limit.

It's absolutely fantastic coverage. I wonder if there are videos of all of these.