Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

49 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

questionable for tonight is the official word from the Sox and Moncada "downplayed" the injury in his post game comments according to a pool report from rotoworld.

For reference, if he had to be taken out last night, he should sit today, but bah I can't think of any other recent examples of a person pushing themselves to come back from an injury and then something worse happening.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

For reference, if he had to be taken out last night, he should sit today, but bah I can't think of any other recent examples of a person pushing themselves to come back from an injury and then something worse happening.

lol.  He should just sit today they have an off day tmr.  

16 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Hell no. I'll be there Friday and Saturday so he needs to play. 

I was thinking about going to a Sox Cubs game next week (friends I don't see often live in Wrigleyville so I can kill 2 birds with one stone, plus they are Sox fans ha) so I'm in the same boat.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

130 wRC+ after last night.  2.3 fWAR.  Run positive defensively.  Other than a couple minor injuries and maybe some lack of development as a baserunner this season has been a smash hit for Moncada and really puts him back on a path to superstardom in his mid and late 20s.

Yeah it just doesn't look like SBs will be in his repertoire, but he can still turn a few more singles into doubles and get 1st to third well.

28.15% strikeout rate - 13th in total strikeouts for all of MLB which is nice to see him come down from the most or one of the most.

This has been an "A" season for Moncada. I never would have dreamed he could hit for this high of an average / OPS over an entire half of a season. I was thinking .270/.820ish this year. Yoan is my favorite Sox player, and the advanced stats look good and look like this is for real, but it's still too early to tell what type of total package he'll be with the sample size.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

28.15% strikeout rate - 13th in total strikeouts for all of MLB which is nice to see him come down from the most or one of the most.

This has been an "A" season for Moncada. I never would have dreamed he could hit for this high of an average / OPS over an entire half of a season. I was thinking .270/.820ish this year. Yoan is my favorite Sox player, and the advanced stats look good and look like this is for real, but it's still too early to tell what type of total package he'll be with the sample size.

He's put it all together offensively.  Even starting to become a bit of a threat from the right side, at least if nothing else he's not an automatic out and isn't as susceptible to a lefty reliever late innings.

In June, granted super small sample size, he's at a 10.5% BB rate with a 21.1% K rate.  If he sustains that the sky is the limit.  

8 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

He still has a lot more untapped potential. He just has so much going on at the plate that's its going to take longer to develop than most other hitters. He also has more upside than the vast majority of hitters. 

Keith Law thinks his timing mechanism means he'll always be susceptible to off speed stuff.   He could be correct but you could say that about most MLB hitters facing 95mph gas all game long.  In 5 years we might not even see more than a dozen or so 300 hitters in all of MLB.

18 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Keith Law thinks his timing mechanism means he'll always be susceptible to off speed stuff.   He could be correct but you could say that about most MLB hitters facing 95mph gas all game long.  In 5 years we might not even see more than a dozen or so 300 hitters in all of MLB.

Lost me at "Keith Law says."

55 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's a bit of an asshat but he is a former pro scout that puts in the time.  And he's said nice things about us lately.

Yeah, I don't like the way Law acts publicly sometimes but when he's talking baseball he's a great evaluate. In the past, he was off with his analysis on pitchers but It seems like he has evolved away from bucketing pitchers based on their mechanics. I do have some doubt with his draft reporting because a lot of people don't like him but in terms of just evaluating players - with consideration for of his knowledge operations/labor/etc. - he may be the best. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Yeah, I don't like the way Law acts publicly sometimes but when he's talking baseball he's a great evaluate. In the past, he was off with his analysis on pitchers but It seems like he has evolved away from bucketing pitchers based on their mechanics. I do have some doubt with his draft reporting because a lot of people don't like him but in terms of just evaluating players - with consideration for of his knowledge operations/labor/etc. - he may be the best

Yeah, if there's a person I trust more in terms of player evals I'm blanking on them at the moment. 

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's a bit of an asshat but he is a former pro scout that puts in the time.  And he's said nice things about us lately.

I like Law. Too many people on the board tend to use him as an absolute authority though. If Law was an authority, he'd be in a front office somewhere. 

15 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I like Law. Too many people on the board tend to use him as an absolute authority though. If Law was an authority, he'd be in a front office somewhere. 

Pretty sure he had chances but turned them down to spend more time with his daughter 

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Pretty sure he had chances but turned them down to spend more time with his daughter 

Yeah if Jeff Sullivan has an FO job Law has definitely had more opportunities arise after the Jays. And this isn't a shot at Jeff.

Edited by mqr