White Sox looking into bullpen arms

Whisox05

I guess you can never have too much pitching, but I really like the Sox young bullpen options. Unless the Sox are going all out, I'd rather give those guys 2019 to get seasoned than pay dollar for relief pitching in free agency.  

Between Jones, Hamilton, Fry, Frare, Covey, Burr, Bummer, Burdi, Stephens, Banuelos, Fulmer, Minaya, Ruiz, Viera and Medeiros, the Sox have plenty of major league league ready bullpen options in house.  

Edited by ChiSox59

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I guess you can never have too much pitching, but I really like the Sox young bullpen options. Unless the Sox are going all out, I'd rather give those guys 2019 to get seasoned than pay dollar for relief pitching in free agency.  

Between Jones, Hamilton, Fry, Frare, Covey, Burr, Bummer, Burdi, Stephens, Banuelos, Fulmer, Minaya, Ruiz, Viera and Medeiros, the Sox have plenty of major league league ready bullpen options in house.  

I think the sox might be going all in so they need someone more seasoned

2 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Ok they’re going for it. I don’t think they’re going to be looking at guys to flip anymore.

Well maybe not intentionally, but if they do sign guys to 1-2 year deals and the team is doing poorly mid-season, we suddenly have guys we can sell off. I kind of expect 2019 to be the last year they make those kind of moves.

Edited by soxfan2014

I've been arguing in the other thread about Eloy that the Sox really could be looking to open the window sooner. We're now seeing the Sox interest in Machado/Harper starting and relief pitching, A really good off season along with Cleveland FA losses and looking to move some salary  and you never know how it all turns out in 2019.

Cleveland isn't looking to rebuild but they will be a lot less formidable .

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I've been arguing in the other thread about Eloy that the Sox really could be looking to open the window sooner. We're now seeing the Sox interest in Machado/Harper starting and relief pitching, A really good off season along with Cleveland FA losses and looking to move some salary  and you never know how it all turns out in 2019.

Cleveland isn't looking to rebuild but they will be a lot less formidable .

I just do not see 2019 being a contention year, even if we completely blow our wad this offseason. Unless the front office knows that the Indians are blowing it all up and the division is up for grabs, going "all in" right away just seems too early for me. 

I'm all for making wise, opportunistic additions this offseason, but cutting the rebuild short to go for it in 2019 just does not seem prudent. 

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I just do not see 2019 being a contention year, even if we completely blow our wad this offseason. Unless the front office knows that the Indians are blowing it all up and the division is up for grabs, going "all in" right away just seems too early for me. 

I'm all for making wise, opportunistic additions this offseason, but cutting the rebuild short to go for it in 2019 just does not seem prudent. 

I don't think its prudent either but I can see the improbable happening. As Sox fans the improbable happening is what we have to hang our hats on most years.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't think its prudent either but I can see the improbable happening. As Sox fans the improbable happening is what we have to hang our hats on most years.

I really really hope that the front office uses enough restraint to not go balls out this offseason to try and speed up contention. As agonizing as losing is, 2019 should be another rebuilding season as we try to usher more of our prospects to the mlb level by end of the season. The goal should be to build sustained success, and I realize that some additions must happen this offseason to help supplement our home grown talent. 

Sensible additions this offseason, combined with further player development at both the major and minor league level should provide us with a solid idea of shopping needs next offseason.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I’m thrilled if they spend big, but only if it’s for core guys when they hope to be contenders in 2-3 years.  Guys like Familia and Cruz on short-term deals doesn’t interest me at all.

Why?

Cruz has such a limited market and such a strong track record that he provides the potential for a low risk but immediate improvement to the lineup.

Familia has no compensation attached and is a big nasty arm. When the team is not promised to be competitive but has an otherwise empty payroll I feel like higher end relievers who don't cost you compensation are exactly the type of targets the team should be going after. If we're good, we have an established closer. If we're not, we have a liquid asset come July. 

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

Why?

Cruz has such a limited market and such a strong track record that he provides the potential for a low risk but immediate improvement to the lineup.

Familia has no compensation attached and is a big nasty arm. When the team is not promised to be competitive but has an otherwise empty payroll I feel like higher end relievers who don't cost you compensation are exactly the type of targets the team should be going after. If we're good, we have an established closer. If we're not, we have a liquid asset come July. 

It would just be spending money on a team likely not to be competitive and not gaining core players. It’s biggest reason I was all in on the Sox going after Yelich, Cain and JDM last offseason. 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

It would just be spending money on a team likely not to be competitive and not gaining core players. It’s biggest reason I was all in on the Sox going after Yelich, Cain and JDM last offseason. 

Getting a guy like Machado is adding for the core going forward (hopefully for at least 5 seasons). Adding guys like Cruz, another position player, and a couple pitchers to go along with that big signing opens up our window sooner.

Edited by soxfan2014

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Getting a guy like Machado is adding for the core going forward (hopefully for at least 5 seasons). Adding guys like Cruz, another position player, and a couple pitchers to go along with that big signing opens up our window sooner.

Yeah if they get Manny, then by all means sign Cruz.  I just don’t want a lot of third-tier guys only brought in just to try and win 80 games.

11 minutes ago, Quinarvy said:

In case anyone, like me, forgot how the Familia domestic assault case ended up:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/15/sports/baseball/jeurys-familia-new-york-mets-domestic-violence.html

Not enough evidence to prosecute doesn't mean he was innocent.  It still feels dirty.

3 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Why?

Cruz would be a 1 or 2 year addition, for what? 10-15 million per year? Sure he would make them better, but if we really aren't contending in 2019 what is the point? 

29 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I really really hope that the front office uses enough restraint to not go balls out this offseason to try and speed up contention. As agonizing as losing is, 2019 should be another rebuilding season as we try to usher more of our prospects to the mlb level by end of the season. The goal should be to build sustained success, and I realize that some additions must happen this offseason to help supplement our home grown talent. 

Sensible additions this offseason, combined with further player development at both the major and minor league level should provide us with a solid idea of shopping needs next offseason.

I agree but will Harper and or Machado agree? That's the key. They might only take the Sox seriously if they show them the window isn't 2+ years away.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Cruz would be a 1 or 2 year addition, for what? 10-15 million per year? Sure he would make them better, but if we really aren't contending in 2019 what is the point? 

Just because we aren't contending for a WS doesn't mean it's not beneficial for our young guys to not be complete losers. I don't want Moncada, TA, Eloy, etc coming close to another 100 loss season, maybe even another 90 loss season. They need to learn how to win as it will benefit them in the contention years moving forward.