Harold Baines HOFer

Dick Allen

6 minutes ago, pcq said:

Getting in is hard enough but who is going to read his speech??? 

Traded for Samuel Sosa lolololol the irony. 

Nobody missed 1 1/2 seasons of labor strife.  Maybe a half season. 

1981: 56 games missed, add 50 hits
1994: 50 games missed, add 50 hits
1995: 18 games missed, add 16 hits
TOTAL: 124 games missed, add 116 hits

Add the 116 hits to Baines’ 2,866 career hits and we have 2,982.

If Baines has 2,982 hits, how likely is it that the White Sox allow him to stick around for a few more months to get to 3,000 in 2001 when he was a 42-year old designated hitter? The Sox have a history of helping veteran players create milestones. They nudged Early Wynn toward 300 wins, and they signed Tom Seaver and Steve Carlton late in their careers.

It’s fair to assume that if Baines entered 2001 less than 20 hits away from the magical 3,000 plateau, the Sox would have found a way to get him there. This is the same franchise that put Minnie Minoso in uniform in 1976 when he was 50 and again four years later in 1980 when he was 54, just to get him the title of “oldest man to get a base hit in the big leagues.” The White Sox even noodled the idea of letting a 64-year old Minoso play in 1990. Playing an over-the-hill Baines at 42 to get his 3,000th hit in front of the hometown fans wouldn’t have been the sideshow that the Minoso affair had been.

http://baseballegg.com/2017/02/12/did-harold-baines-come-within-a-whisker-of-the-hall-of-fame/

Getting in is hard enough but who is going to read his speech??? 

Traded for Samuel Sosa lolololol the irony. 

Nobody missed

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

1981: 56 games missed, add 50 hits
1994: 50 games missed, add 50 hits
1995: 18 games missed, add 16 hits
TOTAL: 124 games missed, add 116 hits

Add the 116 hits to Baines’ 2,866 career hits and we have 2,982.

If Baines has 2,982 hits, how likely is it that the White Sox allow him to stick around for a few more months to get to 3,000 in 2001 when he was a 42-year old designated hitter? The Sox have a history of helping veteran players create milestones. They nudged Early Wynn toward 300 wins, and they signed Tom Seaver and Steve Carlton late in their careers.

It’s fair to assume that if Baines entered 2001 less than 20 hits away from the magical 3,000 plateau, the Sox would have found a way to get him there. This is the same franchise that put Minnie Minoso in uniform in 1976 when he was 50 and again four years later in 1980 when he was 54, just to get him the title of “oldest man to get a base hit in the big leagues.” The White Sox even noodled the idea of letting a 64-year old Minoso play in 1990. Playing an over-the-hill Baines at 42 to get his 3,000th hit in front of the hometown fans wouldn’t have been the sideshow that the Minoso affair had been.

http://baseballegg.com/2017/02/12/did-harold-baines-come-within-a-whisker-of-the-hall-of-fame/

Sounds a little ambitious. Not quite a hiatal hernia but definitely straining. I had no idea people had even heard of Harold Baines. 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ok-maybe I am wrong, but I'd like to hear others views on Kitty. 

I found him to be less than a hero. There I was 8/5 1983 in Baltimore. I had the best tickets. We had a long rain delay. Kittle came out just in front of the dugout to talk to people asking questions (reporters?). Anyway, he sounded like a jerk. Then the questions were over and I had a White Sox pennant where I had already gotten numerous signatures. I yelled, "hey Mr Kittle can you sign my banner?"... He looked at me and ignored me. Walked back into the clubhouse.

I got almost every signature of players on that team, EXCEPT for Kittle, the Bull (Luzinksi) and Fisk (I was begging for Pudge but was told he was in the room playing cards) maybe a couple others. But one siggy I did get? Harold fucking Baines. Didn't say much, but a pleasant dude and his signature was actually very nicely written, not the typical scribble athletes usually sign with. 

That banner, that I protected during a 3 hour rain delay, and battled for signatures of my 1983 heroes is currently pinned to my wall 10 feet behind me.I  LOVE the 1983 Sox maybe more than any team ever, I don't why. But they were the boys. 

Edited by kwolf68
  • Like 1

This is my pennant I speak of. There is Harold's siggy right there. I can't speak for other Sox fans but I ADORE the 1983 team. I so wish we coulda gotten that b**** to game 5...Lamarr against McGregor? I'll take my chances. Still a fun season, because it was the first one where my beloved White Sox kicked your ass. NO, they didn't win it all, but I love them a lot...Britt left it all on the mound. 

That said, it was a JOKE that Hoyt was seen ONE time in that series. NOW? The ace is often called on for 3 games. Oh well, they won it. 

48027318_2531016736913808_61366161712118

13 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Ok-maybe I am wrong, but I'd like to hear others views on Kitty. 

I found him to be less than a hero. There I was 8/5 1983 in Baltimore. I had the best tickets. We had a long rain delay. Kittle came out just in front of the dugout to talk to people asking questions (reporters?). Anyway, he sounded like a jerk. Then the questions were over and I had a White Sox pennant where I had already gotten numerous signatures. I yelled, "hey Mr Kittle can you sign my banner?"... He looked at me and ignored me. Walked back into the clubhouse.

I got almost every signature of players on that team, EXCEPT for Kittle, the Bull (Luzinksi) and Fisk (I was begging for Pudge but was told he was in the room playing cards) maybe a couple others. But one siggy I did get? Harold fucking Baines. Didn't say much, but a pleasant dude and his signature was actually very nicely written, not the typical scribble athletes usually sign with. 

That banner, that I protected during a 3 hour rain delay, and battled for signatures of my 1983 heroes is currently pinned to my wall 10 feet behind me.I  LOVE the 1983 Sox maybe more than any team ever, I don't why. But they were the boys. 

Kittle is a really nice guy. You probably caught him at a bad time for him. If you bring your banner to Soxfest, he will be there walking around, and I am sure he would sign it for you, and probably talk to you for about 45 minutes.