Rosenthal: Could Harper be headed to the southside

Sleepy Harold

2 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

If I am Harper/Machado I would be in zero rush to sign a contract, and even dragging things out into January could to to their advantage as teams get more desperate to make a splash. 

If I am Harper I am signing during the winter meetings in my hometown where I get to be the center of attention.

7 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

If I am Harper/Machado I would be in zero rush to sign a contract, and even dragging things out into January could to to their advantage as teams get more desperate to make a splash. 

Yep

Thank god for the Nova news ... this Harper thread over the past three days has been one of the worst threads ever on SoxTalk. No talking about his defense, how to structure the contract, discussion about how his signing would affect future payroll constraints, what his signing would mean for our younger OF prospects, etc. etc.

It's just back and forth of broken English discussing pretty poor and vague rumors and saying the same thing over and over. Every post is like 180 characters like twitter or something. Been an incredibly bad thread.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I just want to point out, in terms of on the field production, I find it highly unlikely Harper lives up to the deal. But hopefully he can create lots of revenue, excitement and TV deals that increases the Sox ability to spend money and regularly field highly competitive teams (and obviously Harper would be a critical piece in terms of on the field performance).  

When the D'backs signed Greinke it was right after they signed a 20yr/$1.5 Billion TV contract. Our new contract will be negotiated after the 2019 season. Plus the low payroll and that's a boatload of money to spend to augment the rebuild.

2 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Thank god for the Nova news ... this Harper thread over the past three days has been one of the worst threads ever on SoxTalk. No talking about his defense, how to structure the contract, discussion about how his signing would affect future payroll constraints, what his signing would mean for our younger OF prospects, etc. etc.

It's just back and forth of broken English discussing pretty poor and vague rumors and saying the same thing over and over. Every post is like 180 characters like twitter or something. Been an incredibly bad thread.

All that has been discussed over and over and over on soxtalk... I don't see how any of that would make the thread more interesting. Now is the time for rumors and people want every little crumb of a rumor they can get.

3 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

rumor talk is the lowest common denominator of communication. The harper thread is like a TMZ message board right now.

Exactly... we have already discussed all the things you want to discuss... you could go re-read the threads that have all that in them if you are looking for that. Right now people only want to know if he signs with us or not...

Contract structuring talk is actually the worst thing on soxtalk.

"errr should we give a default derivative option in year two for a 2% kicker" 

"no, no he won't go for that, what if we tied it to a life insurance policy"

idgaf.

20 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Good teams don't wait to fill their needs. Boston did last year with the late JD Martinez signing but I'm pretty sure there wasn't much competition for him. Me and Fathom were pretty much the only guys on Soxtak who wanted him. JD Martinez 5 yrs/$110  opt out after 2 years, Harper 10yrs/%400 ? Quite the disparity for a similar hitter Martinez might even be a better hitter. 

I realize he was a final piece for Boston and it worked out perfectly . Also not saying the Sox absolutely should've bid on him. That opt out after 2 years wouldn't have worked with us. He will be available again after 2019 season I think . Actually the contract is very complicated.. Boras is also his agent.

2 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

Boras is playing everyone for fools he does this everyyear putting interest in the media trying to draw up a bidding war for his client. We know what the barometer is The Nationals have said they won't go more then 300 million. The Yankees have said the same via Machado.

Boras was ten years 400 million. With a bunch of opt out closes because why not. We'd be a fool to give it to him. Hell we'd be a fool to give him 300 million but that is what he'll likely get.

The thing is Harper is coming off two down seasons. This beyond stupid neither of these players are Arod. Or Trout. They are capable of putting that kind of season together but if it's 10 years 30-40 million you have to consistently be a 6-10 WAR player. Neither guy is that. I'd be running away from both guys or Machado case jogging.

But Machado is consistently a 6 WAR player.

18 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Good teams don't wait to fill their needs. Boston did last year with the late JD Martinez signing but I'm pretty sure there wasn't much competition for him. Me and Fathom were pretty much the only guys on Soxtak who wanted him. JD Martinez 5 yrs/$110  opt out after 2 years, Harper 10yrs/%400 ? Quite the disparity for a similar hitter Martinez might even be a better hitter. 

I realize he was a final piece for Boston and it worked out perfectly . Also not saying the Sox absolutely should've bid on him. That opt out after 2 years wouldn't have worked with us. He will be available again after 2019 season I think . Actually the contract is very complicated.. Boras is also his agent.

Problem is JD is only six months younger than Abreau.  Most here are saying Abreau is to old for the next Sox championship run...so why commit $110 to JD when most would not do the same for Jose.    The exciting thing for Harper is his age...it seems so rare to have a 26 year old on the cusp of stardom hitting free agency.  This year there are two.    

9 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Problem is JD is only six months younger than Abreau.  Most here are saying Abreau is to old for the next Sox championship run...so why commit $110 to JD when most would not do the same for Jose.    The exciting thing for Harper is his age...it seems so rare to have a 26 year old on the cusp of stardom hitting free agency.  This year there are two.    

JD Martinez is a much better hitter than Abreu. He is an elite hitter.  Over 1.000 OPS the last 4 season in a row. Abreu's last 4 season he barely cracked .900 OPS once .Besides I'm not saying not to go after Harper. I want him or Machado just like everyone else. Just saying Boston made everyone else look like idiots  for what they got him for . I also said the contract he signed with Boston would not have worked with us.

• bmags locked this topic