Nightengale: JR has talked to Boras, no offer yet submitted for harper (Harper Thread *updates in first post*)

bmags

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

All of this makes complete sense. Its unclear if the Sox want Machado or Harper. They havent even met with Machado. How could you submit a formal offer to Harper, if youre not sure what youre doing with Machado. 

My feelings are they want Harper locked up now so they can go after Machado. I’d like to know if they told Harper if he signs the deal with us they’ll go hard after Machado?

4 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

All of this makes complete sense. Its unclear if the Sox want Machado or Harper. They havent even met with Machado. How could you submit a formal offer to Harper, if youre not sure what youre doing with Machado. 

It makes sense, it's just a sign that we are going to be chatting with each other about opt outs for a lot longer than a few more days.

BTW

We keep reading about how the phillies will blow other teams away with their offers for players and then it keeps...not happening.

Is this a sign that they intend to do that for just these guys, or is this boy cried wolf?

Just now, DH in the NL said:

My feelings are they want Harper locked up now so they can go after Machado. I’d like to know if they told Harper if he signs the deal with us they’ll go hard after Machado?

Its hard to imagine the Sox signing both. While I would like to believe it *could* happen, I just am being realistic. Even signing 1 of them would be arguably one of the biggest moves that the White Sox have ever made. 

If I had to bet Greg's house and the options were 1) signing both of them or 2) signing neither, Id bet his house on neither. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, BrianAnderson said:

if we haven't made a formal offer I think you can guess how far Harper is from signing. January 15 would be my over under.

Harper/Machado could easily drag out until after January 1st 

They will try to squeeze as much money as possible out of teams

1 minute ago, bmags said:

It makes sense, it's just a sign that we are going to be chatting with each other about opt outs for a lot longer than a few more days.

Thats not really how I see it. IMO the Sox arent going to make a "formal" offer until they are 99% sure its getting accepted and Harper is the guy they want. 

4 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

I do think the Sox plan to get try to get both.  I think having one in hand could help alot with the other.  But the odds are awfully long that they'd get both to come. 

2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Its hard to imagine the Sox signing both. While I would like to believe it *could* happen, I just am being realistic. Even signing 1 of them would be arguably one of the biggest moves that the White Sox have ever made. 

If I had to bet Greg's house and the options were 1) signing both of them or 2) signing neither, Id bet his house on neither. 

Jokes on you, Greg lost his house to gambling a long time ago

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Thats not really how I see it. IMO the Sox arent going to make a "formal" offer until they are 99% sure its getting accepted and Harper is the guy they want. 

It may very well be a matter of language, and I agree a real offer isn't sent over without prior discussions, it's just hard to know what the line that "not permitted to negotiate a contract" means, where is the line on that? Just not allowed to actually send initial one, or components at all are off limits?

4 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Right, a formal offer is one that Harper can sign the second it comes over, meaning those aren't made, especially for a 300-400mm 10 or so year deal, until you're 100% ready for it to be signed.

4 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Nightengale is Kenny's echo chamber.  This is the Sox attempting (way too late) to make the market think they aren't as hot on Harper as is being reported.  

Problem is what they're leaking to Nightengale and what they're saying in interviews give two very different ideas of the pursuit. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

It wasn't a 1-on-1, kw/hahn/thome were there. I'm sure bryce had a crew.

Yeah, I sat in an actual meeting once that took seven hours. That sucked- you sat in one spot, you listened, some other guy talked, occasionally someone yelled at someone else, and this repeated ad nauseum, for the majority of a work day. No food, no view, no socializing.

If I had to imagine it, I'm guessing this meeting was in a huge, luxurious room, with catered food and more on demand, sofas, a nice view, and lots of socializing rather than just a carousel of people briefing their one little piece. Not that bad.

2 minutes ago, SoxFan562004 said:

Right, a formal offer is one that Harper can sign the second it comes over, meaning those aren't made, especially for a 300-400mm 10 or so year deal, until you're 100% ready for it to be signed.

The Sox have definitely made an offer. Most likely weeks ago. These things take time to negotiate. The Boras little news conference seemed like a last minute effort to get other teams to come up. I think Bryce has know all along where he was going. Obviously he wanted the Cubs but figured that wasn't going to happen so being in Chicago is the next best thing. I mean Harper actually visited the Sox. It wasn't reported that he visited anywhere else. That absolutely means something. Not saying its a lock but unless we are outbid its most likely going to happen!!

14 minutes ago, NotHahn said:

The Sox have definitely made an offer. Most likely weeks ago. These things take time to negotiate. The Boras little news conference seemed like a last minute effort to get other teams to come up. I think Bryce has know all along where he was going. Obviously he wanted the Cubs but figured that wasn't going to happen so being in Chicago is the next best thing. I mean Harper actually visited the Sox. It wasn't reported that he visited anywhere else. That absolutely means something. Not saying its a lock but unless we are outbid its most likely going to happen!!

rabbit tweeted yesterday the visit to Chicago wasn't true