Nightengale: JR has talked to Boras, no offer yet submitted for harper (Harper Thread *updates in first post*)

bmags

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

One more point; Although I also understand the the Players' Union does not allow such a thing, wouldn't it be refreshing to occasionally see a player make some kind of gesture, to demonstrate that he felt bad about taking a huge amount of money, for what turned out to be very disappointing performance? Who was that pitcher who left a bunch of money on his contract, for such a conscientious sentiment?

In most lines of work, you don't get guaranteed money for 10 years, into the future, regardless of how you end up performing. Nevertheless, it is what it is. Perhaps if these guys at least made a pretense of being a little less about themselves and the money, it would be easier to swallow. But again, that's just me.

I think Lyman Bostock tried to give some money back because he was playing poorly.  I think management said 'no', so he gave some of his salary to charity.  In a sad case of reverse karma, he was murdered not too much later.

13 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

A team like the Giants, who for some reasoned signed Longoria and McCutchen last year, would definitely be up to trade for Heyward, a portion of his contract and a couple of mlb ready talent with higher upside. 

I dont understand why this is out of the question to you all.. its not like a creative 'win/win' trade couldnt be worked out.

Who are these MLB ready talents you are referring to that are worth taking on a $120M albatross contract.

13 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Not giving this source any sort of credit, but I was going to list the Giants as a team possible for Heyward since they would value that OF defense in a spacious ballpark, pretty much where Heyward's value lies. Cubs would probably have to eat at least half. Half the deal would be the Giants paying 5 years, $53m for great corner OF defense.

I kinda wonder if if Charles is basing this off of last year's rumor of a bad contract swap between the giants and cubs. Heyward for Samardzija was the rumor if I remember correctly.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Who are these MLB ready talents you are referring to that are worth taking on a $120M albatross contract.

Cubs would have to pay like half of it and also take on Melancon while giving up Happ and prospects. Doesn’t seem realistic.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And how does it make them better?

For the Cubs?  Opens up RF while also adding relief pieces. Happ is completely expendable.  This would be a deal less done for payroll flexibility but more getting rid of Heyward. They only do this if they’ve had the money all along to sign Harper.

3 hours ago, Lillian said:

Please don't take offense, but I'm not surprised. It is simply a different perspective. Don't mind me. I'm old and I'm afraid, a little "old school". I still appreciate things like humility, gratitude and loyalty. LOL 

Here we go, and I can imagine how this comes across, but I remember when Major League players had to have jobs, in the off season, just to get by, and even some pretty good players, at that.

I guess that if I were in such a position, I would at least try to appear to be a little less self centered and egotistical. I would certainly not want the fans to get the impression that all I cared about was making a few extra million dollars, on top of hundreds of millions. The idea that a guy's goal is to become the "highest paid player in the history of the game" doesn't create a very endearing image, even if that might be what motivates him.

These guys live a different life than everybody else.  If I work at a fast food joint and the underachiever next to me is making $2 more, I'm going to push for more.  If I'm in sales and the underachiever next to me continues not to hit his/her numbers and is making $20K more, I'm going to push for more. 

I get it but It's all the same, these guys can set up generations of family members.

32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There are a few options, and the giants wouldnt be taking on the whole contract. They could trade 1 of Happ, Schwarber, possibly Almora.

Looking at the Giants outfield last year they were horrendous. Heyward and any one of the above would drastically improve it. Is it smart? Hell no, but dumb trades happen all the time. Im just saying its a possibility.

2 minutes ago, elwood5892 said:

Supposedly the guy who had Bour going to the Angels hours before it happened now has the Dodgers signing Harper. Hope it’s not true. 

https://www.reddit.com/user/sowapatch?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=post_header

I think that's the safest bet. I'm not going to assume we are just gonna start landing the big fish until we gain more popularity. 

31 minutes ago, elwood5892 said:

Supposedly the guy who had Bour going to the Angels hours before it happened now has the Dodgers signing Harper. Hope it’s not true. 

https://www.reddit.com/user/sowapatch?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=post_header

Just saw that on reddit, too. Having bour to the angels before anyone else does give him credibility, so this kind of sucks