Jump to content
yesterday333

Machado signs with Padres 10/300

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, bmags said:

Sure, but within white sox fans, casual fans pay attention to what hardcore sox fans pay attention to. The idea that a casual fan doesn't know that sox are trying to get one of the best players in the league I'm not very convinced of.

It's the offseason, was during football season, and the media hasn't been beating the drum of "this is a huge deal" as they would if it was the Cubs with Harper. Honestly, other than message boarders and people following a bunch of Sox-related accounts on twitter, I'm guessing most people aren't following and will either find out when they hear screams of joy or anger coming from the diehard portion of the fan base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, bmags said:

Sure, but within white sox fans, casual fans pay attention to what hardcore sox fans pay attention to. The idea that a casual fan doesn't know that sox are trying to get one of the best players in the league I'm not very convinced of.

I don't think that's true at all, but maybe we are thinking on different levels of what we consider fandom.

But either way, how many of those casual fans even knew that Manny Machado was one of the best players in the league until the hardcore fan told him?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I don't think that's true at all, but maybe we are thinking on different levels of what we consider fandom.

But either way, how many of those casual fans even knew that Manny Machado was one of the best players in the league until the hardcore fan told him?

Who even cares about someone's baseball opinions who doesn't know that Machado is one of the best players in the league.  Its a worthless opinion.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Hopefully some new news comes out of this.

Fegan isn't a sources/intel guy, so I highly doubt it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Who even cares about someone's baseball opinions who doesn't know that Machado is one of the best players in the league.  Its a worthless opinion.  

They're the bulk of the paying customers

Edited by mqr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lillian said:

What am I missing? What would Kevin Durant know about the MLB Hot Stove?

He's been wearing Sox hats in public for a couple weeks now. It was just a joke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Who even cares about someone's baseball opinions who doesn't know that Machado is one of the best players in the league.  Its a worthless opinion.  

They buy tickets, so their opinions are quite literally the opposite of worthless.

Your gatekeeping, OTOH, is worthless.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I don't think that's true at all, but maybe we are thinking on different levels of what we consider fandom.

But either way, how many of those casual fans even knew that Manny Machado was one of the best players in the league until the hardcore fan told him?

Honestly I think it's more likely based off of the people I know that they are aware sox are going after some big free agents and may not know much about either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

They buy tickets, so their opinions are quite literally the opposite of worthless.

Your gatekeeping, OTOH, is worthless.

I was moreso referring to a discussion about fan and fan interaction regarding Machado.  If they don't know how good the guy is, their opinion on the matter is rather worthless.  Obviously the common fans opinion is valuable to the organization itself.

Not sure how you categorized that as gatekeeping, but whatever.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Doesn't look like the press conference is today. Maybe they couldn't get enough security.

They all are lined up for the Chicago Bulls announcement of trade for "Cash Considerations" just before the NBA trade deadline

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I talked to my guy and he said he doesn't think anything is happening today or tomorrow, at least in regards to them needing security for any announcement.

Please only report back when it fits into the narrative we want. Thank you. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I talked to my guy and he said he doesn't think anything is happening today or tomorrow, at least in regards to them needing security for any announcement.

the guy that posted the security blurb has since deleted that tweet, fyi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fathom said:

the guy that posted the security blurb has since deleted that tweet, fyi

Let’s be honest, the security blurb never made any sense.  The real smoke is coming from Gomez.  His confidence is growing at a rapid pace and this Jordan tweet truly makes me think something is close to happening.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, fathom said:

the guy that posted the security blurb has since deleted that tweet, fyi

What?!? Timmy Twerkdik was a fraud?!?  Damnit, I skipped work for the presser.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, heirdog said:

What?!? Timmy Twerkdik was a fraud?!?  Damnit, I skipped work for the presser.

IS that a Chippendale?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mqr said:

IS that a Chippendale?

Lol, might be.  I picture him like Chris Farley in the Farley and Swayze SNL skit of yore 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

At this point, if the Sox announced him at a press conference, with Jerry, Kenny, Hahn and Manny, Alonso and Jay I would still be skeptical.  

He can be sitting in the Sox dugout and I would still be skeptical at this point.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×