Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

17 minutes ago, iamshack said:

It’s senseless to put any stock in these national shows. This is about ratings for them. White Sox interest doesn’t particularly drive ratings. 

I know but its like the guy from Philadelphia on the radio talking about the bears-eagles game you said why would Machado go to a second fiddle team like the Sox. 

I think most of the nation will be stunned if either player signs with the Sox.

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And I don’t buy for a second the Nationals have made a giant new offer for Harper.  That sounds like an obvious Boras plant and Jim Bowden being the messenger makes that only more obvious.

This is the true problem with free agency. Agents can say anything they want because its negotiations and the teams can't officially state the terms because its collusion. The agents have all the power.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

I know but its like the guy from Philadelphia on the radio talking about the bears-eagles game you said why would Machado go to a second fiddle team like the Sox. 

I think most of the nation will be stunned if either player signs with the Sox.

Oh absolutely...although they will all say they saw it coming because the Sox have the $ and the farm system. 

To be fair, we have seen a pretty significant shift from where we were just entering the offseason, but still...considering we should probably be in the top 2 or 3 for both players, it’s pretty obnoxious how much of an afterthought we still are.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It really is.  The odds are very small.

They are small, but it's higher than 1%. There just aren't that many suitors for either of these guys which works to the Sox advantage. That being said, I'd be more than happy if they just got one of them and I hope they try to grab Machado first because his market seems to be moving more quickly right now. 

9 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I just don't see anyway they give out 2 $350m dollar deals in one offseason.

Here's the trick:

2k5 posted how, with inflation of salaries, ARoid's original deal would be more than a $600 million deal today. Baseball has done a better job of holding down the growth of these top line salaries than any other sport, and that has made these 2 guys, in my eyes, the likeliest place where you can find value on the FA market. If they are $35 million a year players and you get 5 WAR for each of them, during the seasons that matter - you have gotten that performance for $7 million per WAR, which is incredible value compared to the part of the free agent market the White Sox have played previously. 

Using that logic, buying both of those guys is the right decision. The problem - it is the kind of aggressive thinking that the White Sox aren't likely to do. They'll look at all the other logic here - "We can't have half our payroll tied up in 2 players", "We need the ability to go sign player x to an additional position", and that will win out. 

Giving out $700 million in contracts to these 2 is better money than anything the White Sox have spent in the free agent market this decade save maybe, maybe the bet on Abreu. That's why they won't do it, because they won't drag themselves out of their old habits even when they've been proven to fail. 

10 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

Do you have some insider info?  Seems like you've made a few subtle comments like this.

He is just accustomed to believing that there is no way in fucking hell the Sox would commit $600M+ towards 2 players in one offseason.  And that is fair.  There is absolutely nothing in the history of the organization that would suggest they'd do that.  

I think the odds are long to land both, but getting Machado signed helps to get Harper signed, if in fact the Sox would actually make the commitment. 

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Here's the trick:

2k5 posted how, with inflation of salaries, ARoid's original deal would be more than a $600 million deal today. Baseball has done a better job of holding down the growth of these top line salaries than any other sport, and that has made these 2 guys, in my eyes, the likeliest place where you can find value on the FA market. If they are $35 million a year players and you get 5 WAR for each of them, during the seasons that matter - you have gotten that performance for $7 million per WAR, which is incredible value compared to the part of the free agent market the White Sox have played previously. 

Using that logic, buying both of those guys is the right decision. The problem - it is the kind of aggressive thinking that the White Sox aren't likely to do. They'll look at all the other logic here - "We can't have half our payroll tied up in 2 players", "We need the ability to go sign player x to an additional position", and that will win out. 

Giving out $700 million in contracts to these 2 is better money than anything the White Sox have spent in the free agent market this decade. That's why they won't do it, because they won't drag themselves out of their old habits even when they've been proven to fail. 

Remember who remains the Executive VP of the White Sox. 

• Thanks 1

In regards to landing both Harper and Machado, I would think the chances are pretty low.  Not "so you're saying there's a chance" low, but low nonetheless.  However, if the Sox were willing to spend the money, it would probably be enticing for either guy to play for a team the other is playing on.  The interest for Harper to sign with the Sox would probably increase if they sign Machado (and vice versa).  And the Sox have the money.  They could sign both and grab Ottavino and add $80M to the payroll...and their payroll would still be relatively low for 2019.

I honestly don't see it happening.  I think the more likely scenario is that they sign one and stop pursuing the other.  I think Machado signs first, and there's a decent chance he signs with the Sox.  However, if he signs elsewhere, the Sox will go hard after Harper.

20 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

This isn't true. At all.

Nobody knows for certain, but I always go back to... would you put money on it in Vegas? Would you put up $100 of your hypothetical money on 100:1 odds that they sign both? I sure as hell wouldn't. It'd be pissing away $100.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Isn't that what I said in the last line where I said "they won't drag themselves out of their old habits even when they've been proven to fail"?

I’m not interested in rehashing our opinions on the last 10-15 years, but if you have reached the conclusion that KW isn’t willing to be ultra aggressive in shaping the big league club, I don’t know what team you’ve been watching.

Additionally, this Club and this FO is in a position of unparalleled flexibility. They won’t throw that away on players that don’t significantly move the needle, but they will absolutely take risks on those that do.

Can you imagine if we signed both how much ticket prices would increase. Yuck.

I'll take one of the two (Machado) and rely on the 214 minor league outfielders we have that look promising. If Eloy pans out we really only need 2 of those guys to pan out. And if a lot of the other guys pan out (Moncada, Madrigal, etc.) we really only need one to pan out and one to play great defense.

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Here's the trick:

Giving out $700 million in contracts to these 2 is better money than anything the White Sox have spent in the free agent market this decade save maybe, maybe the bet on Abreu. That's why they won't do it, because they won't drag themselves out of their old habits even when they've been proven to fail. 

I was with you until the last line. You're talking about the Sox signing two different guys to contracts larger than any which has ever been signed, and in the same offseason. That is far beyond anything any team has ever done.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres