Sox @ Orioles Gamethread, 4/23 6:05 CDT (Nova vs. Cashner)

Greg Hibbard

Just now, SoxAce said:

It's like James Shields never left.

They probably could have signed him for under 3 mil and he’d be doing better than Nova. As an innings eater at a low cost, Shields actually wouldn’t be bad. When you ask him to lead a staff at 18 mil or whatever, then no.

Just now, Timmy U said:

I will say this, they are stubborn when it comes to taking out a struggling starter.  Nova has shown absolutely no sign of getting better as the game has progressed, and yet...

Well why would they now. His job is to pitch a lot of innings. They don’t have to be good innings

• Haha 2

Just now, Timmy U said:

I will say this, they are stubborn when it comes to taking out a struggling starter.  Nova has shown absolutely no sign of getting better as the game has progressed, and yet...

He is there to eat innings, not to win the game. Same for Ervin Santana tomorrorw.

I wish the Sox would take more chances on young pitchers like Oakland does. Chris Bassitt was a fringy prospect here and has been a decent back end starter when healthy. Why not try someone like Jordan Stephens and see what you got?

Signing these stopgap veterans is a waste of everybody’s time.

I wonder if there's ever been 2 games in a row in which both teams pitched a position player in successive nights. One night the home team pitches a position player and in game two the visiting team pitches a position player. Who is this year's Davidson for the Sox?

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

This Nova guy will be an excellent batting practice pitcher if and when the Sox give up on him. He lays it in there quite nicely.

Can the Sox trade him to the All Star Game?...they could use him for the home run derby