JDM staying in Boston

Buehrle>Wood

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

On free agents most definitely.  I can’t recall a guy he had opt-out where it blew up in his face, but admittedly I could be missing someone.

I wonder if he opts out, if Martinez will sign pretty quickly since he might not want to wait around til March again.  If Boras knows a deal is out there to be had, Martinez might want to get it early before someone pivots to, say Castellanos.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Maybe not opt-outs but definitely on qualifying offers. 

Qualifying offers are Boras’ kryptonite, he just refuses to accept how they hurt his players’ value on the open market. That being said, he’s got to be confident as fuck that something better is out there to pass on 3/$63M in guaranteed  money.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Qualifying offers are Boras’ kryptonite, he just refuses to accept how they hurt his players’ value on the open market. That being said, he’s got to be confident as fuck that something better is out there to pass on 3/$63M in guaranteed  money.

It just seems to me based on some of his comments that he's ready to move on, and certainly feels like Boston wants him to opt out.  Maybe he has a handshake agreement with Boston that he'll opt out if they don't give him the QO.  

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

It just seems to me based on some of his comments that he's ready to move on, and certainly feels like Boston wants him to opt out.  Maybe he has a handshake agreement with Boston that he'll opt out if they don't give him the QO.  

That would be awesome.  While I prefer Grandal, JDM would be nice consolation prize.  Obviously signing him adds some complexity to the 1B/DH situation, but it’s definitely better than coming away empty handed in terms of impact bats this offseason.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That would be awesome.  While I prefer Grandal, JDM would be nice consolation prize.  Obviously signing him adds some complexity to the 1B/DH situation, but it’s definitely better than coming away empty handed in terms of impact bats this offseason.

From what I have heard about him, Martinez is a good mentor for younger hitters as well.  That is a ++.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He would definitely be a tremendous clubhouse presence on top of being an elite bat.

I'm starting to get very excited about the possibility of Martinez in the middle of our lineup next season.  It would be awesome if Boston does not give the QO since the Sox seem very hesitant to give up any draft picks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He would definitely be a tremendous clubhouse presence on top of being an elite bat.

It's been stated in articles that he did a lot in helping Betts and Bogaerts in their approach at the plate.  Hopefully his philosophies wouldn't clash with Abreu's who currently occupies the role of mentor.😁

• Like 1

Just now, Good Guys said:

It's been stated in articles that he did a lot in helping Betts and Bogaerts in their approach at the plate.  Hopefully his philosophies wouldn't clash with Abreu's who currently occupies the role of mentor.😁

who knows, maybe he can help Abreu with his approach... * fingers crossed *

Wasn't one of the reasons DD got whacked the RedSox had become a miserable place to be from the executive offices to the clubhouse? Maybe he would want to get away, but maybe not. With his limited market and QO, is opting out worth the risk? If a couple big spending teams needed a DH, I would say definitely,  but besides the White Sox, where else is he going to go? 

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Wasn't one of the reasons DD got whacked the RedSox had become a miserable place to be from the executive offices to the clubhouse? Maybe he would want to get away, but maybe not. With his limited market and QO, is opting out worth the risk? If a couple big spending teams needed a DH, I would say definitely,  but besides the White Sox, where else is he going to go? 

The thing is the Sox are flush with cash and there aren’t a ton of quality free agents to spend it on.  As I just said, I’d prefer Grandal but it just seems like us and JDM are destined to be together.

18 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I did not hear this. Thought it was all about how DD did not set them up for future.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Oh it’s definitely better. Sox need good hitters. JD Martinez is that. Makes finding a legit LH RF paramount, though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The thing is the Sox are flush with cash and there aren’t a ton of quality free agents to spend it on.  As I just said, I’d prefer Grandal but it just seems like us and JDM are destined to be together.

I envision a scenario where Boras tells the Sox 4 and 90 or he opts in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chetkincaid said:

I've heard this. I heard DD was a douche and everybody hated him.

I had good interactions with him back when we were both with the Marlins. Can't say I knew him well though and it was 25 years ago.

Edited by ptatc

20 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Why is it a given that only AL teams will pursue JDM? Isn’t he still a ~3 WAR player as a LF or RF despite his terrible defense if he posts a 140 wRC+? 

The problem is his terrible defense is only getting worse, and he is 32. A NL totem signs him, they don’t want him in the field as a34 or 35 year old.

24 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The problem is his terrible defense is only getting worse, and he is 32. A NL totem signs him, they don’t want him in the field as a34 or 35 year old.

I mean Manny Ramírez played the field well into his late 30s and was still very productive until his age 38/39 season.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I mean Manny Ramírez played the field well into his late 30s and was still very productive until his age 38/39 season.

Yeah and Barry Bonds was productive into his mid 40s. There's nothing at all that has changed in the last decade compared to those guys that would affect their performance late in their careers except maybe their head sizes, so we can still expect that from all players.