Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

How many years do we expect Ryu to receive? Any chance he could take a high AAV (say $25 mill) on a one year deal? I feel he would be able to get a multi-year deal, but if teams are skiddish of his injury history and wants to do another pillow-type deal (there are a lot of SP available after all), I'd do something like that to go along with Wheeler.

Of course, probably a pipe dream though.

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

Good call.  I don't expect it to reach Corbin territory either. If it does, who is going to pay him that?  Minnesota?  I think the Angels are hoping for one of the big two.

Angels are a possibility, yah.  They need Cole/Strasburg, plus at least one other above average SP.  Their rotation is a mess.  I doubt the Twins would go over 5/$100M.  

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

How many years do we expect Ryu to receive? Any chance he could take a high AAV (say $25 mill) on a one year deal? I feel he would be able to get a multi-year deal, but if teams are skiddish of his injury history and wants to do another pillow-type deal (there are a lot of SP available after all), I'd do something like that to go along with Wheeler.

Of course, probably a pipe dream though.

Fangraphs projected 2/$32, and MLBTR 3/$54.  Both seem pretty damn reasonable to me, but 2/$32M would be such a home run signing IMO. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Right, I think it starts to make sense to roll the dice of Ryu if Wheeler starts to approach Corbin territory.  Can't say I'd blame the Sox too much for bowing out at that point, though I don't expect it to get there.

I do think if you go the Ryu route, your 2nd SP add needs to be someone a little more interesting.  I've felt that the Sox priority needs to be to add 1 high end SP + one 1 year-deal SP.  But if Ryu is the guy because Wheeler gets too expensive, maybe you splurge a little bit on that 2nd piece and go with someone like Hamels  or Gibson who may require a 2 year deal.  

What does everyone think about Pineda as the 2nd option?  I keep thinking he'd be a good fit as long as he can stay healthy.

1 minute ago, bschmaranz said:

What does everyone think about Pineda as the 2nd option?  I keep thinking he'd be a good fit as long as he can stay healthy.

Ehhh, I think he'd be a good fit if he weren't suspended the first month and half when frankly that is when we'd need him most.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

I would like him as a 2nd piece.. This issue is that he will miss the first 1/4 of the season when we need our second pitcher most, while Kopech returns from injury.

On 11/24/2019 at 9:45 AM, iWiN4PreP said:

Him and Eloy alone are going to be a ton of fun. Then you got Kopech as well and possibly Madrigal 0_0. 

Selfishly, this is partly the reason why I want a RF so badly. I don't want any more corpses in the line up... enough of the Engel/Garcia/Yolmer type players that IMO are unwatchable. 

Can't wait

On Yolmer and Leury though, they're the types of guys that winning teams have off their bench

Yolmer brings a Gold Glove at 2B and can play SS and 3B competently as well with a respectable AVG.

Leury brings speed, a consistently high average, and versatility (every OF spot and middle infield)

I'd love to see them on the bench of our winning team/teams

2 hours ago, Chisox378 said:

Leury does not help the team better than Engel who can atelast play defense and steal bases and Mendick who is a better hitter than Leury. Leury Garcia strikes out way too much and does not look confident in the outfield.

Let's see what Mendick can do at the pro level, I think Leury and Sanchez offer great value off the bench

I haven't seen a strong bench here in ages

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Can't wait

On Yolmer and Leury though, they're the types of guys that winning teams have off their bench

Yolmer brings a Gold Glove at 2B and can play SS and 3B competently as well with a respectable AVG.

Leury brings speed, a consistently high average, and versatility (every OF spot and middle infield)

I'd love to see them on the bench of our winning team/teams

Let's see what Mendick can do at the pro level, I think Leury and Sanchez offer great value off the bench

I haven't seen a strong bench here in ages

I like Leury and Mendick off the bench.  I am over Yolmer, and he can leave.  I prefer Mendicks potential to Yolmer.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, I still think Ryu would be a decent fallback option to Wheeler.  Honestly, if Ryu stays healthy (big if), there is an argument that could be made that he is the better pitcher.  

If you know Ryu is going to be healthy (as you said, big if there) I don't think there is much doubt he is the better pitcher.  

1 hour ago, Princess Dye said:

RF i think is the spot where we're going to be underwhelmed, free-agent wise. I dont know if it'll be Calhoun but it'll be someone we're a little meh on, and it will placehold for Micker, who they are high on

I fully expect RF to be addressed via trade unless they convince themselves Castellanos is their guy.  I really think someone like Calhoun is strictly a fallback if all else fails.

12 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I like Benintendi but I'm not sure be has the arm for RF and while he's a lefty with a good eye the power isn't there. Plus we'd have to eat salary from BOS in the trade.

Just gjve me Joc for a year and we will figure out a permanent solution next year after seeing whether any of the kids in the minors can step up. Oh issue is LAD reportedly wanted Bummer last time and that's not a good trade for 1 yr of Joc. Hopefully they are more reasonable this time.

You are right, Benintendi's 20 HR power is 2017 diminished to 13 HR last season so that may be a concern. I like his bat otherwise and his defense, even though he does not have the prototypical RF arm. I don't think  the BoSox would require that the WSox eat any salary if they traded a player like McCann (or McCann plus Yolmer) for him.  Not sure Bennintendi is worth that, but he is under team control until 2023, which I know the Sox brass would like.  Assuming he improves his power numbers a little bit, he could be a solution for RF or LF for several years. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Right, I think it starts to make sense to roll the dice of Ryu if Wheeler starts to approach Corbin territory.  Can't say I'd blame the Sox too much for bowing out at that point, though I don't expect it to get there.

I do think if you go the Ryu route, your 2nd SP add needs to be someone a little more interesting.  I've felt that the Sox priority needs to be to add 1 high end SP + one 1 year-deal SP.  But if Ryu is the guy because Wheeler gets too expensive, maybe you splurge a little bit on that 2nd piece and go with someone like Hamels  or Gibson who may require a 2 year deal.  

Well this is somewhat of a small change of heart on your part . I had suggested this very thing when you and others told me there is no need for 2 multi year guys. i know I've made a few posts about it some with Wheeler and at least one suggesting Ryu and another 2 year type pitcher signing.

8 minutes ago, tray said:

Not sure Bennintendi is worth that,

I'll tell you what, if the Bo Sox give us Bennintendi, we can give them, like you said, McCann & Yolmer.... plus prospect Basabi.  

This then leaves room for Collins and Mercedes to Catch and DH.

Edited by Chisox378

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Well this is somewhat of a small change of heart on your part . I had suggested this very thing when you and others told me there is no need for 2 multi year guys. i know I've made a few posts about it some with Wheeler and at least one suggesting Ryu and another 2 year type pitcher signing.

If the first guy is Wheeler, I don't think it makes sense to sign another multi-year SP unless something falls into your lap.  Ryu on a 2/$32M would definitely qualify as that, though I expect him to beat that deal handily.  

If the first guy is Ryu, then yah, I think the Sox should broaden their horizons a bit because I think the 2nd SP added in that scenario needs to be a little stronger than the guys you're likely to get on 1 year deals.  

So not as much a change of heart, just a contingency plan if Wheeler gets too expensive, or just decides to sign elsewhere out of personal preference.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tray said:

You are right, Benintendi's 20 HR power is 2017 diminished to 13 HR last season so that may be a concern. I like his bat otherwise and his defense, even though he does not have the prototypical RF arm. I don't think  the BoSox would require that the WSox eat any salary if they traded a player like McCann (or McCann plus Yolmer) for him.  Not sure Bennintendi is worth that, but he is under team control until 2023, which I know the Sox brass would like.  Assuming he improves his power numbers a little bit, he could be a solution for RF or LF for several years. 

McCann has no trade value.. Benni has good trade value.. They'd laugh in our face.

I still believe in Benintendi. I think he was in between approaches, and hopefully he reverts to his self.

This is a guy who had low strikeouts throughout college, minors and his first few years in pro ball, then spikes this year to 22%. I think he was trying to add more power and ended up diminishing his game.

I'd buy low on him all day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, tray said:

Lol you're proposing McCann and Yolmer for Benintendi?  

45 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If the first guy is Wheeler, I don't think it makes sense to sign another multi-year SP unless something falls into your lap.  Ryu on a 2/$32M would definitely qualify as that, though I expect him to beat that deal handily.  

If the first guy is Ryu, then yah, I think the Sox should broaden their horizons a bit because I think the 2nd SP added in that scenario needs to be a little stronger than the guys you're likely to get on 1 year deals.  

So not as much a change of heart, just a contingency plan if Wheeler gets too expensive, or just decides to sign elsewhere out of personal preference.  

Ok not sure I understand if your logic is different on adding Wheeler or Ryu as the 1st pitcher is strictly financial and or need/financial  combined . If you need 2 pitchers is the extra $10M+ on another year just you saying an extra $10M+ here and there adds up and you're willing to roll the dice that the difference in talent between someone signing a 2 year contract as opposed to one year is negligible ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ok not sure I understand if your logic is different on adding Wheeler or Ryu as the 1st pitcher is strictly financial and or need/financial  combined . If you need 2 pitchers is the extra $10M+ on another year just you saying an extra $10M+ here and there adds up and you're willing to roll the dice that the difference in talent between someone signing a 2 year contract as opposed to one year is negligible ?

I don't think there is room to add 2 SP on multi-year deals, unless the 2nd add just such a good value you have to it (ie: Ryu 2/$35M or less).

Let's just assume for the sake of this dicussion the Sox sign Wheeler to 5/$100M.  In 2021, you rotation options include Gio, Wheeler, Kopech, Rodon, Cease, Lopez, and anything we may get out of the Dunning/Lambert/Flores trio.  Basically, we only need 2 SP for 2020, and 1 thereafter.  That is why I don't think it makes sense to add 2 SP on multi-year deals, unless like I said, some amazing value falls into your lap.

I think the calculus changes when Ryu becomes your main SP add because you can't really rely on the guy for a full season.  

• Heads22 changed the title to Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.