Jump to content
Buehrle>Wood

Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

They also rushed him and the I'm not a big fan of The way the Rangers have deleloped some of their LA talent. 

Does anybody remember that 900 ft HR he hit off Reylo last year? 

The Rangers changed their hitting philosophy.  They want to get away from the big power high strike out low obp approach they've had.  Gallo showed he can change his approach. Mazara did not.  There will be others following him out the door.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Speaking of Korea, I wouldn't hate it if the Sox picked up Eric Thames on a one year deal, if Mazara is indeed their RF.

Why?  Haven't we had enough guys like thames.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Correct. He can prepare for an individual pitchers plan, but can’t make the overall approach adjustments for consistent success.

 

Yes, this is how I read it. 

Seems like hes willing to put in the work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The Rangers changed their hitting philosophy.  They want to get away from the big power high strike out low obp approach they've had.  Gallo showed he can change his approach. Mazara did not.  There will be others following him out the door.  

Mazara used to walk sometimes though. That's what's weird. His walk rate around 9% was fine. Hes pressed a bit more it seems the last couple years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't hate the move, but don't love it

I think Mazara is good, yet overrated, talent that's still young and still has upside

I didn't wanna lose any prospects this offseason and think Walker is a good prospect, but hard to say he'll ever be better than Mazara

Hopefully this works out well and we have our RF until 2022

Adolfo, Rutherford, Basabe, Gonzalez are still waiting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

His hard hit % has gone up significantly every year for the past 4 years. Results havent been there yet, but theres certainly been some underlying improvements.

This is true, to extent that his "hard hit" % last year exceeded Moncada's. For all that growth, his wRC+ was...94. Below league average.

It wasn't some BABIP fluke either, he just isn't good. He's swinging more and making less contact, which is worrying to say the least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Superstar Lamar said:

Who is the in house candidate to be the platoon mate against left handed pitchers?  Do we have anyone with exceptional splits that are complementary to Mazara?



His platoon mate will be Engel.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Superstar Lamar said:

Who is the in house candidate to be the platoon mate against left handed pitchers?  Do we have anyone with exceptional splits that are complementary to Mazara?

Leury Garcia and Adam fucking Engle.  So hopefully between between those 3 we can get 1 WAR, which for some on here is GOOD because we were -3 last year in RF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mazara is fine for a small market club rolling the dice. 

Some thought the Sox would approach this off season as ready to lock and load with full ammunition but this is just further proof, as if we didn't have enough evidence before, that they are operating as the same ol whitesox. They believe in shooting for second place because its more cost effective.  

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this really what they are planning of doing for starting RF next season when there are still a number of far better options available? If he plays the way he did with the Rangers then this isn't even a improvement over Leury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, daggins said:

This is true, to extent that his "hard hit" % last year exceeded Moncada's. For all that growth, his wRC+ was...94. Below league average.

It wasn't some BABIP fluke either, he just isn't good. He's swinging more and making less contact, which is worrying to say the least.

Yeah, he hasn't seen that growth turn into results yet, but his FB% was up 6% last year - he really needs to get that number closer to 38% for his profile to maximize, his GB% was down 9% and his LD% was up 2%.

There are underlying hopes within his profile, that was my sole point. I don't know if the growth will continue, and ISO's were up league wide last year, but if he can generate more loft with his elevated Hard Hit % and etc he could take off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

Who is the in house candidate to be the platoon mate against left handed pitchers?  Do we have anyone with exceptional splits that are complementary to Mazara?

I don't think you platoon him at all. I'd rather they run him out there every day. This is hopefully an 85 win team. Platooning him doesn't make it a 95 win team. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Is this really what they are planning of doing for starting RF next season when there are still a number of far better options available? If he plays the way he did with the Rangers then this isn't even a improvement over Leury.



He is your starting RF.  Ozuna and Castellanos are off the table.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based off Jose Abreus 159 game splits, the Sox played between 104-107 games against RH starters. That number will vary of course, but you're typically gonna play RHP around 2/3 of the time. 

 

Mazara had an .844 OPS vs RHP last year. Between Castellanos and Ozunas 14 seasons, , that .844 number was bested just twice, once by each guy. Neither guy had an OPS over .810 in the other 12 seasons. .

I understand you also play LHP, and those guys mash em, but I think I'd rather have the guy who's good 2/3 of the year and bad 1/3 of the year vs a guu whos average 2/3 of the year and really good for 1/3 of the year. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2018/6/4/18446775/white-sox-select-oklahoma-outfielder-steele-walker-in-second-round

No wonder Nick Hostetler lost his job...errr...was promoted to evaluating MLB and MILB talent.

He was promoted and asked to move. Like I've said numerous times. There are many reasons why he switched to the Pro side. They wouldn't have let him run the last two drafts if they were unhappy with his work. There's also a development component here. Steele Walker was a fine selection where he was taken. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Orlando said:

 

 

This is not about Walkers value versus Mazara.  Its about Mazara vs Ozuna vs Castellanos.   If money was no object does Eno park Mazara out there instead of the two other options.  

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, he hasn't seen that growth turn into results yet, but his FB% was up 6% last year - he really needs to get that number closer to 38% for his profile to maximize, his GB% was down 9% and his LD% was up 2%.

There are underlying hopes within his profile, that was my sole point. I don't know if the growth will continue, and ISO's were up league wide last year, but if he can generate more loft with his elevated Hard Hit % and etc he could take off.

Do you know his launch angle compared to other LH power hitters? Personally, I want my big LH hitters to turn and burn and launch moon shots when they're not walking. I like the uppercut. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

Do you know his launch angle compared to other LH power hitters? Personally, I want my big LH hitters to turn and burn and launch moon shots when they're not walking. I like the uppercut. 

It's more pitch selection that's his issue. He swings at a lot of pitches hard to drive. He can hit the shit out of the ball but swings at a bunch of crap that lowers his avg. exit velocity and LA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dickie Kerr said:

Holy fuck, so many White Sox fans are insufferable assholes.

Steele Walker is a 23 year old platoon/fringe prospect in high A. Mazara was a former top 20 prospect and is only 24.

ONLY 24!

The issue isn't that we traded Steele Walker, the issue is that with all the options available to improve RF this is the garbage we end up with.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Mazara used to walk sometimes though. That's what's weird. His walk rate around 9% was fine. Hes pressed a bit more it seems the last couple years.

Well this is certainly the organization to improve a player's walk rate.  Abreu used to walk a lot too, until he learned the White Sox Way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't hate this move at all. Low risk/high reward. I think Mazara might benefit from a change of scenery...and working with Menechino.  What does concern me from what I read in comment sections from Ranger fans is his tendency to be lazy (going after balls in the gap or not running out grounders)...that shit won't fly with Ricky (or his teammates I think). I don't know much about his D out in RF...but it sounds like he's just meh with the glove. Can somebody correct me if I'm wrong please.

As for Steele Walker...I'm not sure he'd ever amount to more than a Yolmer-type player.  Good man to have on your bench.  Time will tell.   Hopefully this will light a fire under Mazara's ass and give him a new lease on his career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×