Castellanos to Reds , rumored 4/64M

Bad Hombre

18 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Castellanos is not an appreciably better hitter for the difference in money and years as well as the intangibles.

This isn't Castellanos to Abreu comparison. It's $18mm tied up for no reason comparison. $18mm can net you a number of different assets and different times. 

$18mm can come in handy for a small market owner. 

28 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

This isn't Castellanos to Abreu comparison. It's $18mm tied up for no reason comparison. $18mm can net you a number of different assets and different times. 

$18mm can come in handy for a small market owner. 

sure but then people would complain about not not having a MLB 1B. 18mm and 3 years is a good price for a productive hitter. They could have signed other but no one appreciably better than Abreu.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ptatc said:

sure but then people would complain about not not having a MLB 1B. 18mm and 3 years is a good price for a productive hitter. They could have signed other but no one appreciably better than Abreu.

Edwin Encarnacion is on the team...

The Abreu deal is awful.

• Like 1

Abreu may have been key to getting Edwin Encarcion, extending Luis Robert and may very well be important to  Moncada deciding on whether or not he agrees to an extension. He is a leader on the team and a stabilizing force. Regardless of what we think of the contract that was Jerry's money, and he assured Abreu that he would remain with the White Sox. That said, it wasn't an isn't an issue. 

Let's just hope that Abreu's  offensive numbers will improve this year in a much improved line-up. If Encarcion shows signs of regression toward the end of this season the Sox can bring up Vaughn next year and have him share 1B/DH with Abreu. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

15 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I don't read it that way at all. Mazara hasn't earned that right with his play and has to earn it. Anointing him the long term answer would be bad management. 

I think this is only BIG NEWS if you think RH is incompetent, or that the WS are going to continue their rebuild habits of giving bad players a million chances to break out (understandable PTSD from the latter).

Obviously RH doesn't think a guy who hasn't even cracked 2 WAR for a year in 4 seasons isn't a "long term answer" in RF. He definitely thinks he has a chance still to break out and become that player though.

58 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I don't read it that way at all. Mazara hasn't earned that right with his play and has to earn it. Anointing him the long term answer would be bad management. 

I don't read it that way either. Mazara is only under team control for 2 years and therefore right now he isn't a "long term" option regardless of performance - even if he's been anointed as the starting option for this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't read it that way either. Mazara is only under team control for 2 years and therefore right now he isn't a "long term" option regardless of performance - even if he's been anointed as the starting option for this year.

This is exactly how I read it. The fact that we only have Mazara for two years is the key...it's not a knock on his skills/production.

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It's big news because Hahn didn't have to be so blunt about Mazara. He could have said we believe in him and hope that he can make that positional need go away. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

It's big news because Hahn didn't have to be so blunt about Mazara. He could have said we believe in him and hope that he can make that positional need go away. 

It's worth the gamble. Hopefully, it's only a 1 year experiment. They can afford to gamble on Mazara in 2020. They can't afford to in 2021.

If it hits, he solves a long-term problem, and wasn't that expensive. If he misses, well.....

If I would have had a choice, I would have signed Castellanos/Puig instead of EE and split time between Mazara, Collins and the other RF at DH and Mazara and the other RF in RF. 

I think EE is a really good DH, but he makes the roster too inflexible. I prefer positional versatility, but that's just me. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

No he doesn't, even if he hits, RF remains a long-term problem, which I still think was the meaning of that statement. 

Mazara actually fired Boras a while ago, so it might not be as big of an issue as people thought initially. 

One thing I've noticed over the years, is that the Sox don't have as good of a reputation for being a great organization for players as they should. Maybe that has to do with their lack of handing out $100M contracts, but most guys who play a long time with the Sox genuinely enjoy being here, and the Sox haven't had a true superstar since the Big Hurt.  It remains to be seen whether or not they'll pay up if Moncada/Giolito live up to their prospect billing. Part of the reason why we don't know this is that they haven't developed a superstar player since Hurt. I'm pretty sure that either Moncada, Robert or both are going to be superstars, and I'm pretty sure that either Giolito, Kopech or both are going to be ace quality pitchers. It would do wonders to the league-wide reputation of the White Sox if they paid Moncada and either Giolito or Kopech. I've already resigned myself to the fact that one of those two is leaving. If I had to guess, of any of them get paid by the Sox, it will be Moncada and Giolito because they're up first and extend the competitive window. I can live with Robert and Kopech walking at the end of their team control if all 4 players become superstars. They're going to run into the issue the Cubs have right now with Bryant and Baez, but with the Sox it's going to be on the pitching staff with Giolito and Kopech. Luckily for the Sox, the best player agent in baseball doesn't represent anyone other than Carlos Rodon on the Sox. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

20 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Mazara actually fired Boras a while ago, so it might not be as big of an issue as people thought initially. 

One thing I've noticed over the years, is that the Sox don't have as good of a reputation for being a great organization for players as they should. Maybe that has to do with their lack of handing out $100M contracts, but most guys who play a long time with the Sox genuinely enjoy being here, and the Sox haven't had a true superstar since the Big Hurt.  It remains to be seen whether or not they'll pay up if Moncada/Giolito live up to their prospect billing. Part of the reason why we don't know this is that they haven't developed a superstar player since Hurt. I'm pretty sure that either Moncada, Robert or both are going to be superstars, and I'm pretty sure that either Giolito, Kopech or both are going to be ace quality pitchers. It would do wonders to the league-wide reputation of the White Sox if they paid Moncada and either Giolito or Kopech. I've already resigned myself to the fact that one of those two is leaving. If I had to guess, of any of them get paid by the Sox, it will be Moncada and Giolito because they're up first and extend the competitive window. I can live with Robert and Kopech walking at the end of their team control if all 4 players become superstars. They're going to run into the issue the Cubs have right now with Bryant and Baez, but with the Sox it's going to be on the pitching staff with Giolito and Kopech. Luckily for the Sox, the best player agent in baseball doesn't represent anyone other than Carlos Rodon on the Sox. 

What in the caulfield you tryin to say here?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I’m sure they will try but like Bryant and Betts, not every player is going to sign a team friendly contract and will want to hit free agency instead.

53 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I’m sure they will try but like Bryant and Betts, not every player is going to sign a team friendly contract and will want to hit free agency instead.

I realize that, You gotta pick two out of the 4 that can be done. 

If Moncada wants to hit FA, by all means there's nothing they can do. But you have to try like hell to keep him around. What's nice is that everyone is spread out. Going through this exercise underscores how important it is that they get the year back from Kopech. 

5 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

That's a real lot to say in a couple sentences.  

I would be FINE with Mazara as our 4th OF.  Not as our everyday.

Not every day, but how about two out of every three days?

As in, it’s likely at least two thirds of the games this year will be against a right handed starter.  Mazara hits righties pretty well, and at 24, he’s likely to continue to improve.  

Give him the 450 or so at-bats in those games, with the balance going to Leury, and the team will be more than set in the #8 spot in the lineup.