White Sox 2020 Draft Day discussion thread

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Every draft analyst tells us every northern kid isn't as good as the southern kids every single year for decade upon decade.

i *would* retroactively like gavin lux

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Posters dont care about draft analysts.  Sox fans have better information. 

No, I don't care about the analysts of a sport that has a hit rate of about 8% after the first 10. It's the one sport where someone who is educated on baseball can make the same "guesses" and "projections" as the experts.

There's a reason Yorke just got drafted here. A lot more to the game than just skill.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

There’s huge concerns about his hit tool from what I’ve been told. Like it or not, the Sox were never going to take him in first round given their big league personnel IMO.  

I’m willing to give a physically talented Midwest kid a bit more rope with their hit tool.

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

There’s huge concerns about his hit tool from what I’ve been told. Like it or not, the Sox were never going to take him in first round given their big league personnel IMO.  

Ed had like 6 weeks of travel ball/showcase where he wasn't the absolute best player everyday, and people started saying he was struggling vs "elite talent." Then he dominated every other week of his life. The critiques of Howards bat are absolutely laughable. Classic northern kid bias because he only gets the spotlight 1/2 the time, so his one time "Struggle period" (in which he was still an elite player) is amplified well beyond where it should be.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m willing to give a physically talented Midwest kid a bit more rope with their hit tool.

I wouldn’t have minded him, but do question whether the White Sox are the organization that can develop a questionable hit tool. His talent might override that, but until they start developing hitters again, I have my doubts.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No, I don't care about the analysts of a sport that has a hit rate of about 8% after the first 10. It's the one sport where someone who is educated on baseball can make the same "guesses" and "projections" as the experts.

There's a reason Yorke just got drafted here. A lot more to the game than just skill.

I want referring to you specifically as others were there too. People educated on baseball can have opinions as well,  however few insist they know that much more than others in reference to all the players available.

The game if baseball is the one sport where it is always more than skill. Many have skills it's the injuries and mental adjustments that usually make the career. I'll wager the draft analysts and scouts have talked to the players more to find things other than skills.

3 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Either punting the pick or huge underslot. I would be pissed as a Red Sox fan

Supposedly he is a hard sign and they don’t have a 2nd round pick. I think Dowd might be right, they get the pick back next year when they have better information. But they do have to offer him a certain percentage of the slot to get the pick next year, and maybe that is enough for him to sign.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I wouldn’t have minded him, but do question whether the White Sox are the organization that can develop a questionable hit tool. His talent might override that, but until they start developing hitters again, I have my doubts.  

That’s fair but at some we need to start investing in some up the middle talent.  Outside of Robert, most of our resources the past few years have gone to corner type players and pitchers.  

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s fair but at some we need to start investing in some up the middle talent.  Outside of Robert, most of our resources the past few years have gone to corner type players and pitchers.  

Madrigal was a super high pick as well

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Supposedly he is a hard sign and they don’t have a 2nd round pick. I think Dowd might be right, they get the pick back next year when they have better information. But they do have to offer him a certain percentage of the slot to get the pick next year, and maybe that is enough for him to sign.

Yes you have to offer 40% of the slot value. That’s what I meant by punting the pick for next year. 

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Mike Trout kinda good. Alek Thomas says hello. There's so many more. Either north east/midwest scouts are complete trash, or people just overrate reps for kids at the top of the talent pool.

The majority of good players are from warm weather states. There are occasionally good cold weather guys too of course but statistically much less often than from warm states.

14 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Mike Trout kinda good. Alek Thomas says hello. There's so many more. Either north east/midwest scouts are complete trash, or people just overrate reps for kids at the top of the talent pool.

A lot of it is that scouts just dont see them as much. They play less so there less data and they feel less confident. 

8 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

The majority of good players are from warm weather states. There are occasionally good cold weather guys too of course but statistically much less often than from warm states.

This just isn't true. I'll put this in the system tomorrow.

Reps certainly matter for middle-tier players; it can separate a mid-tier talent in the mid-west from one in the South. The top of the talent pool though? It just doesn't matter. Ed is at the top of the talent pool. Another overlooked Northern kid. At least now they're going in the middle-end of round one. They used to fall out of round 1 all together. Everyone having a player like Veen ahead of Howard is a complete joke imo.

• Quin locked this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic