2020 Draft: Day 2 Discussion

southsider2k5

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yup, a little worried the big name teams will have an edge though which won't help us obviously.

Right. Now it becomes a recruiting game. Which they've never had to do except for the j2 international signings. But even then money speaks and money usually wins. But I got to think that they've already identified  30 - 40 guys that They're going to go after. Maybe already going after.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, timbo8 said:

Don't want to get too political but this is a dumb take by Dougherty, because this is a pressing issue to black people and they are the ones who can speak on this, definitely better than asking white guys about their second hand experience with it.

Now you can debate whether you should ask that question to an 18 year old new pro but if you ask that question certainly a black player is the right guy to ask just like you would ask a gay person on gay rights or a women on women's rights.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Dominikk85 said:

Don't want to get too political but this is a dumb take by Dougherty, because this is a pressing issue to black people and they are the ones who can speak on this, definitely better than asking white guys about their second hand experience with it.

Now you can debate whether you should ask that question to an 18 year old new pro but if you ask that question certainly a black player is the right guy to ask just like you would ask a gay person on gay rights or a women on women's rights.

I think it's fine if they (1) asked him for permission to ask the question beforehand, and (2) made sure he wanted to make a statement about social issues beforehand also.  If they just hit him with a question like that it's bullshit.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Not surprised he was one of the most well known guys

Yeah, he is famous since he was a kid because he won home run derbies at age 12 and also was hyped on social media. This video called him next Bryce harper. However mlb.com podcast said he is more famous than good, not that he is bad and he does have huge raw power but reportedly not a great feel to hit and some contact issues against better showcase pitching.

Definitely has big potential but also could be a bust and might be defensively limited too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

I mean in theory kind of a lot, no? We just went from 40 rounds to 5. So lets just say being conservative you're talking 30 rounds of players, that's 900 players, right? I think there are going to be a group of players that have a lot of suitors, and it's going to be up to the GM's to really sell their system and organization. Unless I'm just totally wrong on things. 

I get what you are saying.  I'm just thinking that (1) we don't know how many MiLB teams there will even be next year etc. and (2) we really don't know who is going to get a chance to really do anything before like spring next year.  I'm not expecting MLB clubs to want to sign more than a handful of guys, and if some team like the Yankees or Dodgers wants to try to sign like 30+ players and send them to some kind of organized complex then great for that team, and it really makes the rest of the owners look like pieces of shit for not doing the same thing.

But overall how many guys are there that we really want, and who will also sign for $20K max and not go back to school?  I think we'll sign a few but mostly we'll pass.  I agree we are probably like mid-tier attractive or so, and the guys we really want that some other teams really want also, we'll probably lose out on.

Edited by HollywoodTim

15 minutes ago, Tony said:

It's going to turn these GM's into college recruiting coaches.

And I think you'll probably see some really interesting "packages" where 3-4 teammates go to an organization together. "I'll sign with you, but you have to sign my catcher and first baseman" 

I mean who knows, but I think it's going to be something really interesting to follow. Do we expect a ton of signings the next few days, or do we think this drags out? 

It's honestly a great question and I have no idea.  That being said, the market for NFL UDFAs happens almost immediately so I'd probably assume the same here.

18 minutes ago, Tony said:

And I think you'll probably see some really interesting "packages" where 3-4 teammates go to an organization together. "I'll sign with you, but you have to sign my catcher and first baseman" 

I mean who knows, but I think it's going to be something really interesting to follow. Do we expect a ton of signings the next few days, or do we think this drags out? 

I bet they have been talking to guys for weeks and it comes quickly. 

Detroit’s first two picks according to pipeline rankings: #1 and #24 = 25

White Sox: #18 and #12 = 30

Royals: #3 and #36 = 39

Reds: #13 and #89 = 102

Just a way to say, we got great value over the last couple days.

• Like 1

Looking at the draft board, maybe we can get a legit dude in the 4th and help pay for him in the 5th?  It really is a shitty move to drop the bonus max to 20k.  At least they could have said 20k this year with up to 100k payable over 3 or 4 years into the future.  There are a lot of players who are good enough to sign for a lot more but due to general desperation and uncertainty will think about taking that 20k put in front of them.  It's really a slap in the face that some of them might just kind of swallow their pride and take with a smile.

12 minutes ago, HollywoodTim said:

Looking at the draft board, maybe we can get a legit dude in the 4th and help pay for him in the 5th?  It really is a shitty move to drop the bonus max to 20k.  At least they could have said 20k this year with up to 100k payable over 3 or 4 years into the future.  There are a lot of players who are good enough to sign for a lot more but due to general desperation and uncertainty will think about taking that 20k put in front of them.  It's really a slap in the face that some of them might just kind of swallow their pride and take with a smile.

The answer is "maybe, depends on what the bonus requests of the first 2 rounders really are". 

You can't lose Kelly because you wanted a normal bonus 4th round pick. If you're anywhere close to iffy on the money, you have to go cheap.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tony said:

Hmm....Hahn should be ahead of the field then since he is all about the friends and family deals 🙂

• Haha 1