MLB Winter Meetings Thread

Orlando

6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'd hate it.  I feel like we'd have just bombed a big portion of our SP prospects.  If we did this OR Lynn, fine.  I really don't want to trade for TWO SP.. One of which has very little track record.

I get it but I'd love it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Okay I have to ask the question.  For the bargain hunting Sox and a bullpen still to add to.  Why didnt they give Wisler a shot.  A one year 1.15million dollar deal? 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/12/giants-sign-matt-wisler.html

There is a TON of interesting bullpen arms. I'm personally hoping they get Jake McGee.

1 hour ago, maloney.adam said:

Always liked Bilek's tweets. They're level headed. I know we all wanted to make a bigger splash, but these targets aren't all that bad. 

What I'd like to see: 

1) Sign Lynn for 2-3 year extension at under $14mm annually

2) Add 2 bullpen pieces. Colome + Hendriks/Hand/Yates?

3) Lock up Giolito as mentioned - I'll count that as money actually spent if they do that. 

4) Cherry on top would be a Quintana/Paxton/Hill/Richards/Wood. That would allow Kopech to start in AAA & slowly gain innings. You're not going to get 150ip out of him and would like to see him involved in the playoffs assuming all goes well & he is as he's been projected. Adding 1 more SP would allow Kopech, Crochet, etc. to not have to log so many regular season innings. Plus between an injury prone guy like Paxton/Hill/Richards there is likely to be an opening in the rotation throughout the year which allows 10-15 starts in regular season. 

5) add a late offseason steal. Aka I still like a guy like Scooter Gennett. But wait until late in offseason and get yourself a swiss army knife akin to Leury that can spell multiple positions & allow guys like Eloy to DH while we wait on Vaughn. 

1 minute ago, Soxnfins said:

Now, I do like Hendricks, but honestly why not just bring Alex back?

Because Hendriks is much better. Colome is basically a one pitch pitcher. If he doesn't have his cutter, you're basically praying the balls in play find a glove. He was rarely off last season, but that was a shortened season. Colome looked great for the first few months of 2019 but then fell off quite a bit in the 2nd half. Over the course of a longer season, he's bound to have more outings where he just doesn't have it. Hendriks has 3 really good pitches and better stuff in general.

15 minutes ago, chw42 said:

It would be extremely weird for us to give big money to a guy like Hendriks but go dumpster diving for a RFer.

To be fair the RFs all have some suck to them outside of Springer. If Eaton and Joc got back to 2019 forms they are both solid options. Joc better than Eaton, but still upgrades. There is money for us to spend and we should all expect more moves. Another starters, another DH, and another two quality bullpen pieces. 

• Thanks 1

I will be extremely happy if we can convince brantley to come here and DH.

If that happens, we probably need to get leury to work fulltime on infield again, where he isn't great but has attributed it to having to practice so many positions.