Sox sign Adam Eaton 1 year, $7m plus option

Greek-konerko

3 hours ago, SCCWS said:

No but we saw Boston not make the playoffs in 2019 and spent $225 Million.  They then proceeded to cut payroll for 2020

We are not in prosperous times and we have the worst per capita fan support in MLB. Unless someone rich buys the team we just have to deal with it. 

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

Combined they'd be something special. Like when Bulls fans hoped we could combine Joakim Noah and Carlos Boozer. 

Platoon could work because Eaton gets injured too often. RF has been a black hole. 

3 hours ago, pcq said:

We are not in prosperous times and we have the worst per capita fan support in MLB. Unless someone rich buys the team we just have to deal with it. 

Exactly. Jerry doesn’t owe Sox fans anything (other than perhaps a top 10-15 payroll). Now the Bulls on the other hand, their fans have a right to be pissed. One of the best, most loyal fan bases in their sport.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

2 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Last year. This is what I want to see out of the "cancer". 

Wow that was fun to watch.   Can you imagine how crazy our lineup is going to be next year?  The first six...TA, Eloy, Robert, Abreu, Grandal and Moncada...each capable of hitting 30+ home runs...and then the period where the pitcher gets to rest...the 7-8-9 spots with Vaughan with his elite batters eye, Eaton with his career .360 OBP and Madrigal who never strikes out and hit .340 as a rookie.  I think Eaton is going to be a fun addition to the team.  

2 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Last year. This is what I want to see out of the "cancer". 

1. It's now two seasons ago, and Eaton sucked worse than Mazara last year.

2. Eaton missed more games the past four years than Trey Mancini, who literally had cancer.

3. Adam Engel was better in 2020, and is a much better OFer on a go forward basis.

4. The FO made the same mistake twice, rushing out to sign a garbage RFer in 2020, signing this ass clown this year, and being without a RFer for the third straight year, because Jerry's cheap ass wouldn't pay for a legitimate RFer and/or placated Tony LaRussa's need for an jackass support animal.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

6 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

per capita fan support

"Per capita" based on residents of the City of Chicago ?

So the total population in the City is roughly 2.9 Million or thereabouts.

A lot of residents in the City may not have the disposable income to attend baseball games regularly.  So if another city has a higher average  per capita income, that could result in more per capita attendance at baseball games.  I'm not sure that means anything.

"Fan support" meaning physical attendance at games?

I never believed that fan attendance at games was the most accurate  indicator of "fan support" because, as is the case in Chicago, certain stadiums are more accessible to a team's fan base or perhaps, there are other attractions that draw in fans.

Post Covid  the public in general may be reticent to expose themselves to germs on a grand scale by gathering in large public venues. Perhaps sports stadiums will be the exception if that is the case.  Or not. I imagine a  post-Covid sports bar loaded with people, face to face, cheek to cheek , touching, breathing and sharing germs from sneeze droplets.

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

2. Eaton missed more games the past four years than Trey Mancini, who literally had cancer.

3. Adam Engel was better in 2020, and is a much better OFer on a go forward basis.

4. The FO made the same mistake twice, rushing out to sign a garbage RFer in 2020, signing this ass clown this year, and being without a RFer for the third straight year, because Jerry's cheap ass wouldn't pay for a legitimate RFer and/or placated Tony LaRussa's need for an jackass support animal.

Agree on all counts.

I really was disappointed with Hahn signing  this guy. I feel this move was like putting old retread tires on a new sports car.

It is my understanding that the scouting staff was greatly reduced last October because of Covid.  Does anyone know who the talent evaluators would be who helped give RH the info that Eaton or anyone else is still able to perform at a high level.  I am sure Hahn relies heavily on the info he is given by the "baseball" people when making these trades.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

This is a terrible comp.  Mancini got diagnosed this year, he missed this season which was two and a half months.  He didn't have cancer for four years.  Eaton blew out his knee.  On the first day of the 2017 season.  This is not comparable.

I get that you don't want or like him, he wasn't any of my top choices either, but that's just dumb.

8 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

1) Altuve was a NEGATIVE WAR last year...I would be so mad if we traded Danny Mendick for Altuve because clearly Mendick is better based on a couple of hundred at bats in a pandemic year with no fans.  It's ridiculous to look at Eaton's 3500 career at bats prior to COVID and we should judge him on his 176 COVID at bats...for the same reason I wouldn't trade a bucket of balls for Christian Yelich.   

2) EAton's last five non-COVID years....he had three years of 95% of games played and two injured years.  Even last year he played in 70% of the games.  Is your fear that his broken pinkie from last year is going to haunt him?  

3) Not sure this point as they still have Adam Engel and I suspect he will play a lot.

4)  JR is demonstrably not a cheap ass (top five payroll in the mid-90's when they were good and top five in the mid-00's when they were good), TLR is a hall of fame manager.  AE hasn't failed...the last time we saw him in the non-COVID world he hit nearly 1.000 OPS in helping his team win the World Series.    

Remind me again why you are a White Sox fan?   

• Love 1
  • Fire 1

I do find it strange that this board has so internalized power hitter switching leagues as a problem, but over 30 y.o. outfielder on decline people feel so comfortable just copy/pasting their preferred career year stats into the 2021 lineup.

• Like 1

A Lot depends in whether his decline last year was permenant. It was a short sample and many good players had bad seasons but with him his walk rate went down, k rate went up and contact and chase rate also got worse.

It could be permanent decline, related to health issues (permanent or resolveable) or maybe a result of bad training due to covid.

Health is always a challenge with him but if he can get back to his old good K/bb ratio and hit 12-15 homers with a good obp that would be fine but with him being 32 and having his extensive injury history it could also be the end.

With 1 year and a club option the risk for the sox is rather limited and at least doesn't affect long term payroll outlook.

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

I do find it strange that this board has so internalized power hitter switching leagues as a problem, but over 30 y.o. outfielder on decline people feel so comfortable just copy/pasting their preferred career year stats into the 2021 lineup.

Do you mean Springer?   

11 minutes ago, Rusty_Kuntz said:

What are the chance he both stays pretty healthy and performs close to his top level from the past few years? I'd say maybe 15-20%?

Add in his potential issues in the clubhouse, a very meh signing. That said, unless they got Springer RF was not going to be anything special in FA.

Most people are taking 2020 with a grain of salt. Eaton is not a superstar, but for a number 8 hitter he is fine. Obviously Springer would have been the answer but it is what it is. 

30 minutes ago, bmags said:

No I do not mean Springer, the outfielder with two straight years of offensive output above his career averages.

Springer is 31.  His OPS was down nearly 100 points last year and before that he was told in advance what pitches were coming...and he'll probably cost $100 mill more than Eaton.  Everyone carries risk.  

1 minute ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Springer is 31.  His OPS was down nearly 100 points last year and before that he was told in advance what pitches were coming...and he'll probably cost $100 mill more than Eaton.  Everyone carries risk.  

If I'm being honest, stats from 2020 REALLY need to stop being used so fervently in arguments about player production. It was 60 games, it's not an adequate sample size.

1 minute ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

LOL. His 2019 was his career year, 2020 was his second best in his career. He had a 146 wRC+ which puts him at 46% better than average. He could get 20% worse and still be better than Adam Eatons career best offensively )124 wRC+.

Adam Eaton the last 4 years wRC+ went from 124 (23 games played), to 122 (95 games played), to 107 (155 games played), to 75 (44 games played).

George Springer: 140, 118, 156, 146. Little different, but basically the same you are right.