Hypothetical question re: Eaton

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

7 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Is Ray Ray actually Ricky Renteria or Ricky’s personal assistant? Ever since Ricky got canned, Ray has been going after the organization’s every move as well attacking everyone here.  Also was constantly defending Ricky during his time with the Sox, especially last season when he was defending some truly awful late game bullpen decisions (decisions that I considered indefensible).

Don Cooper

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

But when I suggested Joc Pederson as a good option, you said, "Enough of this. My goodness. We're trying to win."  You then later said that you wouldn't be celebrating a Joc bargain bin signing (if it were to happen), and said that it would be an "awful move".

Which I still would think; which is how much worse I feel about this Eaton signing.

Unacceptable they didn't spend the big money on Springer. I wouldn't be celebrating the Joc signing either, but it would be better than signing Adam Eaton that's for sure.

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Wow, what a thread.  Sandusky references and ray doing his thing.  Tex said it all, yes, hell yes you would take that season from Eaton.

Then you pick up his option and you have strong trade bait or in house affordable production for 2022.

Strong trade bait lol wuhhhht?

Eaton had that season in 2019; the Nationals had a team option on him this year for 9 million dollars (his buyout was 1.5 million). The Nationals, who are trying to win games, didn't pick up his 9 million dollar option. Then multiple teams were "in on him" and the best offer he could get was 7.5... but he'd become a great trade bait at 8 million next year after having the same year he had in 2019. You honestly can't make this shit up.

Eaton was such a winner in Washington but the Nats had no interest on keeping him to be their RF'er for 9 million dollars; they now don't have a RF as of today.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s true, but I do think the majority of the board would have been good with Joc.

I am not pro Eaton despite the question I asked. I was also not pro Joc and thought the actual best fit was JBJ ( outside of Springer )because he played pretty good defense  and can play CF and having 3 CF guys is a good thing for late inning defense. I don't trust that his batting woes were solved last year but the fact he did better than usual isn't a bad sign. But Joc for his hitting against RHP would have been better. Just not real sure if the Sox wanted to go multiple years on him if that's what he requires. Same applies to Bradley.

12 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Wow, what a thread.  Sandusky references and ray doing his thing.  Tex said it all, yes, hell yes you would take that season from Eaton.

Then you pick up his option and you have strong trade bait or in house affordable production for 2022.

Not what I wanted to happen but sort of knew it would. I just wanted to know 1 thing. And you answered it hell yes. Thank you.

It would be a relief. I’d be “thrilled” if Eaton gave us the .390 OBP he gave in short seasons with the nats, or shut down opponents run game like he did with his arm in 2016 with Sox.

But I’m worried we’ll get a drop to .330 OBP with low power and a decline in foot speed cutting out some running singles.

An annoying feature of this board to me is always rationalizing against only the white Sox. It is likely Eaton is better than Mazara. But we need to start looking at getting an edge over the Yankees, rays, twins, etc. 

My hope is even with less power, we get a team that likes to swing the bat, continue to make good contact and we see good sequencing.

28 minutes ago, bmags said:

It would be a relief. I’d be “thrilled” if Eaton gave us the .390 OBP he gave in short seasons with the nats, or shut down opponents run game like he did with his arm in 2016 with Sox.

But I’m worried we’ll get a drop to .330 OBP with low power and a decline in foot speed cutting out some running singles.

An annoying feature of this board to me is always rationalizing against only the white Sox. It is likely Eaton is better than Mazara. But we need to start looking at getting an edge over the Yankees, rays, twins, etc. 

My hope is even with less power, we get a team that likes to swing the bat, continue to make good contact and we see good sequencing.

This was my entire argument, ftr so prepare for the flaming.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This was my entire argument, ftr so prepare for the flaming.

The difference is bmags can articulate his position in a way where when people are finished reading it, no one thinks “God what a colossal prick this guy is.” 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 4

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Is Ray Ray actually Ricky Renteria or Ricky’s personal assistant? Ever since Ricky got canned, Ray has been going after the organization’s every move as well attacking everyone here.  Also was constantly defending Ricky during his time with the Sox, especially last season when he was defending some truly awful late game bullpen decisions (decisions that I considered indefensible).

He doesnt watch the games...so yeah, probably is ricky

Edited by ChiSox1917
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, bmags said:

And that's a legit concern. Every single RF option had the ever present "red flags" be it horrible defense ,injury concerns ,present cost, long term cost, etc. Springer is the one and only one we would be truly shocked if he sucked. And plenty here think, myself included, that pitching was the biggest need by a long shot  so I still expect more pitching to gain that edge and let the young guys get prepared for that future edge.

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm having a discussion with another member of the board in the main Eaton thread and posed this question. If Adam Eaton put up the exact same stats as he did in 2019 would you be happy with that production ? I say ,most if not all Sox fans and the White Sox would be thrilled with that. He says he wouldn't be and keeps dancing around the question I am posing to you all.

This has nothing to do with how good or bad you think the trade is .

His 2019 went like this :

151 games played .279 BA , .365 OBP , .428 SLG. , 9.9 BB%, 15 stolen bases,107wRC+. He also won the World Series and was a hitting star in the World Series. 2.3 fWar 1.5bWar

If he had that kind of season it would be tremendous for the Sox. Hell they wouldn't even have to keep him since that might be pushing their luck .

Am i as crazy as the other guy thinks I am or is he the crazy one ?

I would be thrilled and think the Sox would be too.  Pretty sure they signed him in the hopes he could get back to 2019 form.

• Thanks 1

• Quin pinned, unpinned and locked this topic