Sox sign Hendriks: 3/$39M - 4th year optional with $15M buyout

EvilJester99

5 hours ago, Holes in my Sox said:

Hello everyone!  I just found the board a couple of weeks ago and this is my first post.  I'm from Southern Illinois and I am primarily a St. Louis Cardinals fan, but I've always liked the White Sox as well.  Being from Illinois is part of that, as is my disdain for the Cubs 😁

Anyway, I am honestly more excited to watch the Sox this year than the Cardinals.  It's nice to see a team seeing their division weakening and then making additions to the roster to make themselves dominant.  I just wanted to say hello to everyone and share my excitement to really root on the White Sox this year.  As a noob I won't agree or disagree with anyone's take on these signings, but again, it's nice to see a team that appears to be trying.  Hendriks seems like a good add to me!

Welcome. Your thoughts on Tony LaRussa would certainly be welcomed at this stage. We have a young and exciting team and are looking to overtake the Cubs as Chicago's team. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

it took so long to sign I was just happy it was completed but again...

Big series... Keuchel goes only 5 but gives up 3. Starts the next inning with baserunners. We throw Heuer, Crochet, Bummer, Hendriks.

OPTTHTHTPH

I know. This bullpen is so good. And don't forget about Foster. I know he choked against Oakland. But he was devastating too. Same arm angle but 2 different pitches. And the second one the ball would just drop out on the hitters. Nasty! Hitters had no idea how to pick that up 

• Like 1

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I heard about the signing yesterday afternoon.  If those dopes are "insiders" why did they have to wait for Passan to break the news?

Well, I heard about it yesterday morning! If Harold had sources why didn’t he know about it then! See how easy that was? 

Im sorry but they had every move this offseason way beforehand. I’m not going to doubt your sources but it could very well be that they are not as connected as you? Or maybe we’re asked not to break it?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Welcome. Your thoughts on Tony LaRussa would certainly be welcomed at this stage. We have a young and exciting team and are looking to overtake the Cubs as Chicago's team. 

Thanks for all the welcomes. As for Tony, he helped bring 2 champions to St. Louis so I’ll always think highly of him.  When he’s given a good team and can get them all to buy in to his system, a team can do amazing things.  Even the years without a championship, there were exciting seasons.  Of course having the right players helps and I believe the White Sox have an exciting roster.

Having said all that, there were definitely frustrating times and questionable moves, but I think you’ll get that with anyone.  He can be an interesting guy.

So, assuming that he hasn’t lost it after all these years out of the dugout and he can adapt to the changes in the game since then I think it could be a good thing.  It’s really difficult to tell how it’ll go until all the personalities get together.  I have nothing but respect for him on the field.  Some of his decisions off the field....that’s for another thread.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Holes in my Sox said:

Thanks for all the welcomes. As for Tony, he helped bring 2 champions to St. Louis so I’ll always think highly of him.  When he’s given a good team and can get them all to buy in to his system, a team can do amazing things.  Even the years without a championship, there were exciting seasons.  Of course having the right players helps and I believe the White Sox have an exciting roster.

Having said all that, there were definitely frustrating times and questionable moves, but I think you’ll get that with anyone.  He can be an interesting guy.

So, assuming that he hasn’t lost it after all these years out of the dugout and he can adapt to the changes in the game since then I think it could be a good thing.  It’s really difficult to tell how it’ll go until all the personalities get together.  I have nothing but respect for him on the field.  Some of his decisions off the field....that’s for another thread.

Thanks for your input. At this point we just have to ride with things on the field. It's been said that he is into analytics and modern baseball. I like the idea of having a manager that has been to World Series' in just about every decade since the 80s. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

FWIW: Harold told me this yesterday afternoon. There’s no reason to question his info. 

I don’t question his info. I just don’t think his comment made much sense. “These guys are dopes. Why did they need Passan to report it?  I knew since yesterday and also did not report it.”

Edited by Orlando
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I don’t question his info. I just don’t think his comment made much sense. “These guys are dopes. Why did they need Passan to report it?  I knew since yesterday but did not report it.”

The difference is Harold never claimed or tried to “break” info. 

That said, it’s entirely plausible the food guys get info, but not enough to know when things are done. 

Either way I don’t get the hand wringing. If Harold already knows everyone why does he care? 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

The difference is Harold never claimed or tried to “break” info. 

That said, it’s entirely plausible the food guys get info, but not enough to know when things are done. 

Either way I don’t get the hand wringing. If Harold already knows everyone why does he care? 

I didn’t know this part but I guess that means his info is no good to me since he doesn’t break it anyway. Lol 

Edited by Orlando

12 hours ago, Perfect Vision said:

This is what I was waiting to find out and should put an end to the ideas that (1) this is a 4/54 deal, and (2) the Sox intend to pick up the option.

This is a 3/39 deal and the Sox will almost certainly decline the option.  Throwing Hendricks $1.5 mil every year beginning in 2024 is not going to have any impact on what the Sox can or want to do financially in those years.

I disagree with this entirely.  The PV difference like $4M, so the only way that option doesn’t get exercised is if Hendriks goes full Kelvin Herrera and is completely useless come 2024.  This is a legit four deal with a way to soften the blow at the very end if things get real bad.

12 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

I agree with this guy. The Sox spent all this money to get a guy less good than Colome. 

Here's a copy and past from what I posted earlier on this topic on a different thread: 

Colome is clearly, clearly better than Hendriks. Clearly. 

Colome the last two years:

2019 - 30 saves in 33 save opportunities

2020 - 12 saves in 13 save opportunities

Hendricks last two years:

2019 - 25 saves in 32 save chances

2020 - 14 saves in 15 save opportunities

Totals: 

Colome - 42 saves in 46 save opportunities -- four blown saves

Hendricks - 39 saves in 47 opportunities - eight blown saves

In only one more opportunity, Hendricks has blown twice as many games as Colome over the last two years, twice as many

I am glad the Sox are spending money, and I am going to say the the Sox brass knows what they're doing, but I don't get how Hendrick at the best closer in baseball when he wasn't better than Colome. Again, Hendrick blew twice as many saves as Colome over the last two years, twice as many. 

I'm glad the Sox are spending money and especially glad we didn't get a stiff like Brad Hand, but the Sox could have kept Colome for a lot, lot less money and had a better reliever. 

The past doesn’t automatically dictate the future and there much greater reasons to believe in Hendriks moving forward than Colome.

• Tony unpinned this topic