The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

37 minutes ago, wegner said:

Random thoughts...

I remember I was happy when they got rid of LaRussa the first time around.

I talked myself into this being an ok hire because he seemed to put together a nice staff around him.

I saw part of the post game news conference last night (I actually had the sound off).  LaRussa just looked tired and it is very early in the season.

Pretty much everybody here agrees that there were a bunch of boneheaded Managerial decisions last season and especially in the last week of the season and the playoffs....I do not see how that has changed.

Keep Crochet out of the 10th...he seems to need to work with a fresh inning where noone is on base.  I wonder if he ever has worked as anything other than a Starter?

No doubt Renteria made bad decisions and needed to be replaced but the team chemistry was very good and they played some good ball.  It sure seams like TLR is losing them or already has.

Last night's tired TLR postgame has been a std since the season opener.  After the longest night game in LA, there was a slightly longer pause between questions and TLR came within an instant of literally falling asleep.  His eyes closed for a brief second and his head snapped.  Then he got pissed; "what's the question?"  when there was none.  Even after the day game in Seattle, he was wanting to doze and the questions were clearly irritating him; keeping him awake.

There are plenty of 76 yr olds that are astute & vibrant. TLR is not one of them; far from it.  If a team is a reflection of their manager, it explains this lethargic start with no end in sight.  What a waste of the 5 year rebuild.

Edited by Rounding_Third
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

The best hitter on the team (Mercedes) hasn't been in the starting lineup every day.  I find it crazy. Maybe TLR is starting to lose it upstairs in his head.

Hottest hitter ≠ best hitter 

I didn't want the Sox to hire TLR, but I also didn't want them to hire ballless cheater Hinch either.  Ballless cheater Hinch can suck a bag of dicks playing for the Tigers.  Fuck that guy.

The real problem is the front end of our organization as a whole.  Why was a retired 73-year-old and a ballless cheater who sucks a bag of dicks the only 2 options available?

JR, GTFO.  Kenny Williams, GTFO.  Rick Hahn, GTFO.  All three need to go kick rocks, pound sand, GTFO.  This organization is a total fucking mess at the very top.  It's one guy who can't get fired only because he won't fire himself, and 2 guys below him who are only working in such positions and capacities because the guy who won't fire himself also won't fire them.  

There are a plethora of options.  I guarantee that if the Sox were actually run like a proper organization, and brought in a long list of qualified candidates, and if SoxTalk members could look at all of these resumes and actually sit in on all of these interviews and listen to what the candidates talked about, they would clearly understand that, yes, there are indeed a plethora of options beyond a guy who is almost dead and a ballless cheater who sucks bags of dicks.

For instance, I have no reason to believe that Miguel Cairo, who we just hired, wouldn't be a competent option.  Let's just try him. 

No matter what, I see 2 things: 1) TLR has to go; and 2) as long as the dorf is breathing, no one can really expect anything to change. 

Edited by YourWhatHurts

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

His at bat last night was as good or better than anyone else’s against Bieber.

Even in Yermin's outs, the majority of the his ABs where he made those outs were competent at worst and at best, worked and challenged the pitcher.  

There isn't a hitter in baseball including Trout who a pitcher cannot retire by making enough good pitchers.  He is a defender himself, and he has another defender in front of him and 7 more defenders behind him.  The problem for the pitcher usually is, the more pitches the pitcher has to throw, the less likely he is to make enough good pitches in the AB to stop the hitter from reaching base.  Yermin actually challenges these guys.  Not just in batting average, but in terms of competitive ABs, he's leading the team and the entire organization.  And the next guy is probably Adam Eaton.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Even in Yermin's outs, the majority of the his ABs where he made those outs were competent at worst and at best, worked and challenged the pitcher.  

There isn't a hitter in baseball including Trout who a pitcher cannot retire by making enough good pitchers.  He is a defender himself, and he has another defender in front of him and 7 more defenders behind him.  The problem for the pitcher usually is, the more pitches the pitcher has to throw, the less likely he is to make enough good pitches in the AB to stop the hitter from reaching base.  Yermin actually challenges these guys.  Not just in batting average, but in terms of competitive ABs, he's leading the team and the entire organization.  And the next guy is probably Adam Eaton.

That AB he had against Bieber was by far the best Sox AB of the night.  He didn't look overmatched at all.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I didn't want the Sox to hire TLR, but I also didn't want them to hire ballless cheater Hinch either.  Ballless cheater Hinch can suck a bag of dicks playing for the Tigers.  Fuck that guy.

The real problem is the front end of our organization as a whole.  Why was a retired 73-year-old and a ballless cheater who sucks a bag of dicks the only 2 options available?

JR, GTFO.  Kenny Williams, GTFO.  Rick Hahn, GTFO.  All three need to go kick rocks, pound sand, GTFO.  This organization is a total fucking mess at the very top.  It's one guy who can't get fired only because he won't fire himself, and 2 guys below him who are only working in such positions and capacities because the guy who won't fire himself also won't fire them.  

There are a plethora of options.  I guarantee that if the Sox were actually run like a proper organization, and brought in a long list of qualified candidates, and if SoxTalk members could look at all of these resumes and actually sit in on all of these interviews and listen to what the candidates talked about, they would clearly understand that, yes, there are indeed a plethora of options beyond a guy who is almost dead and a ballless cheater who sucks bags of dicks.

For instance, I have no reason to believe that Miguel Cairo, who we just hired, wouldn't be a competent option.  Let's just try him. 

No matter what, I see 2 things: 1) TLR has to go; and 2) as long as the dorf is breathing, no one can really expect anything to change. 

The answer for who they should have hired if they wanted an experienced winner, a non-cheater, and someone who has been in the dugout in the last decade? Bruce Bochy.

• Thanks 3

I'm still have this feeling that the Sox will be looking for a new manager by the 2022 season with LaRussa stepping away. 3 managers in 3 years. For a managerial position that should be the most coveted in baseball right now (bullshit that there wasn't really an interview process for this).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, username said:

That AB he had against Bieber was by far the best Sox AB of the night.  He didn't look overmatched at all.

Yes, and also, he made his out hitting the ball into the hole which the shift covered up, but he still hit it fairly hard and he forced the defense to make a play on him.  The pitcher still couldn't get the ball by him.

I think TLR was probably trying to "keep Yermin hot" by sitting him against arguably the best RHP in the division, and starting Nick Williams because he's a piece that is likely to get sent down anyway.  He probably wants Williams to prove himself, like Yermin did, because apparently that is what TLR is looking for.  The question is though, how are either of these thoughts / decisions more important than actually winning the baseball game

What is the greatest objective?  Apparently, if you want to know how TLR is feeling, he will say, "Ask me at the end of the game."  Maybe in this case he felt good about the loss because Yermin will still presumably be hot going into tomorrow and the 26th man on the team Nick Williams got a chance prove himself.  Way to manage a contender, idiot.

6 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

The answer for who they should have hired if they wanted an experienced winner, a non-cheater, and someone who has been in the dugout in the last decade? Bruce Bochy.

I would have been just fine with a Bochy + younger understudy bench coach committed to the organization as the heir to the position.  That would have appeared to be a competent hire.

8 minutes ago, username said:

Starting Lamb over Yermin was pure stupidity. I don't care if Lamb is left handed, Yermin has given this team some great at bats. Being left handed is a favorable matchup if you don't suck ass. Lamb sucks ass. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I don't disagree, but I still won't say he is the best hitter on the team

I would say that TA, Abreu, Eaton, and Eloy have all put together track records with the bat (even a shorter one with Eloy) that make you have to think they are better hitters at least until Yermin has proven himself over a longer period of time.  But it's pretty clear that Yermin is a very tough out for the opposition and if he keeps it up, he's easily tons better than Moncada has ever been, same with Grandal.

2 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I would say that TA, Abreu, Eaton, and Eloy have all put together track records with the bat (even a shorter one with Eloy) that make you have to think they are better hitters at least until Yermin has proven himself over a longer period of time.  But it's pretty clear that Yermin is a very tough out for the opposition and if he keeps it up, he's easily tons better than Moncada has ever been, same with Grandal.

I mean, if he keeps this up he is easily better than the entire league 😂 

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

I mean, if he keeps this up he is easily better than the entire league 😂 

Right, but I was referring more to the quality of ABs, not the actual results.  He's obviously not a .500 hitter, but is he a .310+ hitter with power?  He may be, and if he is, holy shit what a find.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

His at bat last night was as good or better than anyone else’s against Bieber.

Yermin or Eaton is absolutely the guy you want up with RISP, that's for sure

Abreu has been smelly hot garbage, tell him to get new gloves

• Fire 1

Abreu has been crap

Same with Moncada, Williams (duh), Lamb (duh), Grandal, Collins, and Madrigal

Keuchel has stunk. Crochet and Bummer haven't been great

The defense has been dogshit. Base running still blows

The manager really sucks

You can't win that way

Edited by soxfan49

2 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

JR, GTFO.  Kenny Williams, GTFO.  Rick Hahn, GTFO.  All three need to go kick rocks, pound sand, GTFO. 

2) as long as the dorf is breathing, no one can really expect anything to change.

JR, STFH, Kenny Williams, STFH. Rick Hahn, STFH. It would be terrible to see any of these three leave. 

We are on the same page regarding the second part. Jerry/Kenny/Ricky/Tony should be kicking rocks and pounding sand atop their rightful place on baseball's Mt Rushmore. This team will be rolling by summer. It's not even 4/20 yet. 

And we want 'Dorf to keep breathing. He's instilled the most fearsome foursome among executives and managers in the sport, along with a family culture top-to-bottom that makes this organization special. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, WBWSF said:

The best hitter on the team (Mercedes) hasn't been in the starting lineup every day.  I find it crazy. Maybe TLR is starting to lose it upstairs in his head.

You are getting carried away. He started every game but one.  Lamb only had 2 AB so far and he was another LH option. Not sure it was really crazy.  But I understand that when a player is this hot, you want to keep putting him in there especially since he does not need a break playing the field. 

Regardless of starter, I thought Vaughn should have started because he seems to have played sparingly the last week. 

TLR must still put high emphasis on left vs right against a RH starter which is not true w the stat geeks.

1 minute ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

JR, STFH, Kenny Williams, STFH. Rick Hahn, STFH. It would be terrible to see any of these three leave. 

We are on the same page regarding the second part. Jerry/Kenny/Ricky/Tony should be kicking rocks and pounding sand atop their rightful place on baseball's Mt Rushmore. This team will be rolling by summer. It's not even 4/20 yet. 

And we want 'Dorf to keep breathing. He's instilled the most fearsome foursome among executives and managers in the sport, along with a family culture top-to-bottom that makes this organization special. 

Speaking of 4/20, are you on something?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SCCWS said:

You are getting carried away. He started every game but one.  Lamb only had 2 AB so far and he was another LH option. Not sure it was really crazy.  But I understand that when a player is this hot, you want to keep putting him in there especially since he does not need a break playing the field. 

Regardless of starter, I thought Vaughn should have started because he seems to have played sparingly the last week. 

TLR must still put high emphasis on left vs right against a RH starter which is not true w the stat geeks.

Even if he WAS playing the field, he just had 2 days off on Friday and Saturday.

43 minutes ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

Is this a joke?