Indians @ Sox, 4/30

Bob Sacamano

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

All the hand wringing about Moncada and he's the only player not named Mercedes in the top 20 position players in fWAR. Dude's been a stud lately. 

There aren't many elite defense, difference making 3B in MLB anymore, Moncada is one of them.  Even if he's "just" a 125 wRC+ type for his career his defense will carry him well into his early 30s if he doesn't have chronic health issues.  I don't think people talk about how good is he defensively.  I thought he'd be a good defender at 3B but he's arguably the best in baseball.

I mean look at this:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=3b&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2021&month=0&season1=2021&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2021-01-01&enddate=2021-12-31&sort=21,d

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I know managers manage to try to win every game, but I'd be OK with putting the "Sunday lineup" out there tonight, let Foster and Ruiz carry the bullpen load, and go full out for the weekend games.

What? They have had 2 days off this week and have 2 days off next week. There is no reason to play a lineup of backups.

1 minute ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

Let me guess, Moncada apologists will be using COVID as an excuse - wait what!?!

a 135 wRC+ and playing lights out D will do that for you. 

Also his K rate? 2% lower than 2019.  BB rate? 4% higher

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

There aren't many elite defense, difference making 3B in MLB anymore, Moncada is one of them.  Even if he's "just" a 125 wRC+ type for his career his defense will carry him well into his early 30s if he doesn't have chronic health issues.  I don't think people talk about how good is he defensively.  I thought he'd be a good defender at 3B but he's arguably the best in baseball.

I mean look at this:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=3b&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2021&month=0&season1=2021&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2021-01-01&enddate=2021-12-31&sort=21,d

You complained endlessly about the Sox moving Moncada from 2nd to 3rd base, said the process was broken, said they were a fool to move Moncada to third, even moreso to open up a spot for "bum Madrigal" and that the Sox have no idea how to internally evaluate their own players so the move would blow up in their face. Not going to bump those, but where I give you big time credit is you maintained that Moncada would hit and rake regardless of his struggles and that he would have up and downs but he'd be a stud (this was back when he was abysmal) in the long run and there was never anything to worry about.

• Fire 2

22 minutes ago, mqr said:

All the hand wringing about Moncada and he's the only player not named Mercedes in the top 20 position players in fWAR. Dude's been a stud lately. 

Almost as if he's the best player on the team and the complaints about him last year/early this year never made any sense 

• Fire 1

49 minutes ago, Greydawgfan1 said:

This is a shitty attitude I swear Sox fans are the worse. What other fan base does that 

28 minutes ago, Greydawgfan1 said:

Oh I think crying that goes on during and after every game is awful. Bunch of babies on here. But expecting a loss hoping for a win isn’t great either. I’d rather be glass half full the. Half empty

Yet here you are crying about the "bunch of babies" bringing your own shitty attitude.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You complained endlessly about the Sox moving Moncada from 2nd to 3rd base, said the process was broken, said they were a fool to move Moncada to third, even moreso to open up a spot for "bum Madrigal" and that the Sox have no idea how to internally evaluate their own players so the move would blow up in their face. Not going to bump those, but where I give you big time credit is you maintained that Moncada would hit and rake regardless of his struggles and that he would have up and downs but he'd be a stud (this was back when he was abysmal) in the long run and there was never anything to worry about.

In the end, scouts can recognize talent/potential.

Buxton is the current AL favorite for the AL MVP.  Ohtani has returned to God-like status.  Moncada’s at least a Top 20-30ish player.  Kopech looks great again, etc.

The only difference scouts usually have is when this transformation to superstar will occur.

Of course, we can go back to Broxton/Brinson versus Luis Robert comps as well.

Baseball America has been ranking the Top 100 prospects in the game since 1990, when Braves lefthander Steve Avery debuted as the first-ever No. 1 prospect.

In the years since, 27 different players have held the title of No. 1 prospect in baseball. They include future Hall of Famers (Chipper Jones), multiple-time MVPs (Alex Rodriguez), World Series MVPs (Josh Beckett), Rookies of the Year (Kris Bryant, Ronald Acuna, Corey Seager, Bryce Harper, Ben Grieve) and, yes, the occasional disappointment (Brien Taylor, Todd Van Poppel).

A No. 1 ranking is no guarantee of future stardom. But more often than not, stardom does await the player crowned as the best up-and-coming prospect in the game.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/all-time-baseball-america-no-1-prospects/

• Haha 1

My god you are obsessed with Buxton.  He's been a 2 WAR player so far in his career.  He's basically been Avi Garcia to this point.  Yea he's rocking a 298 wRC+ so far, good luck keeping that up.  Even if he puts up a 6 WAR season he's hardly lived up to his billing as the #1 overall when he was a prospect.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

My god you are obsessed with Buxton.  He's been a 2 WAR player so far in his career.  He's basically been Avi Garcia to this point.  Yea he's rocking a 298 wRC+ so far, good luck keeping that up.  Even if he puts up a 6 WAR season he's hardly lived up to his billing as the #1 overall when he was a prospect.

To be fair, he does look pretty awesome now. I thought he was the best player the Sox faced last year.

11 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Every year someone new and shiny, to be reminded of in pertinent topic threads like "White Sox Game Thread", "White Sox winner thread", and if we are lucky "Covid 19 thread".  Has Buxton been anointed the best center fielder in the history of the game yet, because you know shit gets real when that happens 

• Haha 2

Just now, fathom said:

FWIW, I’m predicting Leury is in LF today and no Vaughn

I mean of course you are.  You're making me look like a housewife on a drug cocktail with a martini in hand as she greets her husband after work.  Cheer up this team is fucking stacked.  Even if Leury plays the Sox are more than likely good enough to win most nights.

• Like 1

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

I mean of course you are.  You're making me look like a housewife on a drug cocktail with a martini in hand as she greets her husband after work.  Cheer up this team is fucking stacked.  Even if Leury plays the Sox are more than likely good enough to win most nights.

I wasn’t complaining, I was just going off of what Tony said last night. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Please put together a big boy lineup to face him. Fully expecting Leury and Lamb to somehow be in there though. 

What??? Leury knocked in 5 runs in the doubleheader including the game winner in each game. He should be a fixture in the lineup........................................................... till he cools off. 

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

To be fair, he does look pretty awesome now. I thought he was the best player the Sox faced last year.

If the guy could stay on the field he would be good.   He has a big problem with that

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Every year someone new and shiny, to be reminded of in pertinent topic threads like "White Sox Game Thread", "White Sox winner thread", and if we are lucky "Covid 19 thread".  Has Buxton been anointed the best center fielder in the history of the game yet, because you know shit gets real when that happens 

When have you predicted a player’s eventual success...just curious?   It’s quite easy to criticize opinions, like if we were all forced to name the Top 5 in the Rookie of the Year voting before the year starts.

If you asked SoxTalk how many would pay/extend Buxton the next five years for $125 million, or Giolito, it might be a closer vote than you think.

Obviously a lot can change in even one week (like Moncada’s fortunes)...but go ahead, enjoy yourself.

For example, how many homers will Vaughn and Robert combine for the rest of season?  Let’s hear your pick. I will then gladly provide mine.

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

When have you predicted a player’s eventual success...just curious?   It’s quite easy to criticize opinions, like if we were all forced to name the Top 5 in the Rookie of the Year voting before the year starts.

If you asked SoxTalk how many would pay/extend Buxton the next five years for $125 million, or Giolito, it might be a closer vote than you think.

Obviously a lot can change in even one week (like Moncada’s fortunes)...but go ahead, enjoy yourself.

For example, how many homers will Vaughn and Robert combine for the rest of season?  Let’s hear your pick. I will then gladly provide mine.

I don't predict those things Caulfield, I would rather not be known for predicting Yasiel Puig to be the best player that ever lived.  

Might be just me though 

16 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

If the guy could stay on the field he would be good.   He has a big problem with that

So you also have issues with Seager and Bellinger, yes?

So only Acuna, Betts and Trout, right?

Soto, well, he’s hurt now, too.

Robert was torn apart around here for not being able to stay healthy.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

So you also have issues with Seager and Bellinger, yes?

So only Acuna, Betts and Trout, right?

Soto, well, he’s hurt now, too.

Robert was torn apart around here for not being able to stay healthy.

No I didn't talk about any of those guys.  Thanks 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I don't predict those things Caulfield, I would rather not be known for predicting Yasiel Puig to be the best player that ever lived.  

Might be just me though 

Because certainly I had access to all his personal issues back in 2013...they were faxed to me by that guy who wore the hat behind home plate and always held a radar gun, Mike Brito.

But I still predicted that, nonetheless.

What I actually said was that I saw a lot of comparisons to a young Roberto Clemente, and that he had the ability to also play CF at a Gold Glove level.  I would have said the same thing about Sammy Sosa when he came up, had there been an internet at the time.

Our own General Manager said pretty much the same about Avisail Garcia at different points in time...maybe not quite so hyperbolically, but gushing with praise indeed.

Who is paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for their opinions?

And now you’re somehow applying something like cancel culture to an impression of him solely as a player in 2013-14, as if I could possibly predict back then all his problems off the field.   

I mean, if the White Sox had anyone worth watching in 2013 besides Chris Sale and Jose Quintana, I gladly would have watched Sox players instead.

Edited by caulfield12

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic