Addressing the OF shortage (Robert Injury Spinoff)

Texsox

4 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

TBH, the way things are going, is it really worth it to give up anything of value for Heyward? Exploring Puig and Cespedes is fine.

Puig ain't happening. Cespedes can't play center. And if you can get Heyward for the right price then yes I'd do it. He can slot into right when everyone is healthy. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

Eloy and Robert might prove to be less than what they were when they return next season  and Vaughn might prove to be less than he was cracked up to be.

If things head South in the standings (which we might see happen after the next two series with KC) it might be worth considering another tear down/rebuild plan because this season is toast and the time window has been shattered. Moncada, Collins, Vaughn, Madrigal  Grandal, Yermin and several guys  on our pitching staff could bring back a haul of prospects. Then shoot for a new time window beginning 3-5 years from now.

JR and TLaR would not get one last championship if the Sox rebuild  but fairy tale ending do not always come true. It's over boys.

• Haha 2

I’m not certain why there is a discussion of players with eight figure contracts. Hahn stated the team is on the floor, and did nothing when Eloy went down besides sign “LF” Jake Lamb. Jerry isn’t going to eat $15M-$25M contracts, even if Tony says pretty please with sugar on top.

He MIGHT authorize a seven figure stop gap acquisition, but would prefer to send good prospects like the Dunning for Lynn deal than add 10-15% more to payroll. There is max 10k attendance currently, and no guarantee any acquisition will lead to the postseason revenue Jerry will want for his “investment”.

12 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I’m not certain why there is a discussion of players with eight figure contracts. Hahn stated the team is on the floor, and did nothing when Eloy went down besides sign “LF” Jake Lamb. Jerry isn’t going to eat $15M-$25M contracts, even if Tony says pretty please with sugar on top.

He MIGHT authorize a seven figure stop gap acquisition, but would prefer to send good prospects like the Dunning for Lynn deal than add 10-15% more to payroll. There is max 10k attendance currently, and no guarantee any acquisition will lead to the postseason revenue Jerry will want for his “investment”.

Another reason we are likely screwed. 

Our FO has never and likely will never operate like a team trying to win and that is one of the biggest reason why so many people's undying, blind optimism is tiresome. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Our FO has never and likely will never operate like a team trying to win and that is one of the biggest reason why so many people's undying, blind optimism is tiresome. 

It's weird seeing all of these fans saying we can still be division favorites. I want you all to think hard about my next two sentences. 

There is a chance, maybe a small chance but still a chance, that our entire outfield group doesn't hit a single home run in May. 

There is a good chance that our outfield group will not hit 3 home runs in the month of May. 

Edited by SonofaRoache
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, tray said:

Eloy and Robert might prove to be less than what they were when they return next season  and Vaughn might prove to be less than he was cracked up to be.

If things head South in the standings (which we might see happen after the next two series with KC) it might be worth considering another tear down/rebuild plan because this season is toast and the time window has been shattered. Moncada, Collins, Vaughn, Madrigal  Grandal, Yermin and several guys  on our pitching staff could bring back a haul of prospects. Then shoot for a new time window beginning 3-5 years from now.

JR and TLaR would not get one last championship if the Sox rebuild  but fairy tale ending do not always come true. It's over boys.

I don't want this current organization presiding over another rebuild.  The best thing would be for JR to open the Sox wallet and spend for some quality, but we all know that's not going to happen.  Sox fans are pretty much screwed.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

It's weird seeing all of these fans saying we can still be division favorites. I want you all to think hard about my next two sentences. 

There is a chance Our, maybe a small chance but still a chance, that our entire outfield group doesn't hit a single home run in May. 

There is a good chance that our outfield group will not hit 3 home runs in the month of May. 

But yet Madrigal was the problem because he can't hit homers and was going to diminish our chances of being a playoff team, and we couldn't afford to develop someone in a playoff push season.

Soxtalk is a weird place.

Edited by RagahRagah
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Did you miss the entirety of KW’s tenure as GM?

Man some of you have lost your minds. This Robert news sucks but we talking about rebuilds. 

There is still lots of talent on this team.

Bullpen has to live up to expectations 

Starting pitching has to be our rock and they have the potential. 

Need Grandal to hit his career average 

Need Jose to be Jose. Not the version we see now.

Vets have to lead now.

The FO needs to make one move for outfielder and we are still solid 

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, 2Deep said:

Man some of you have lost your minds. This Robert news sucks but we talking about rebuilds. 

Vets have to lead now.

Therein lies the problem.

5 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Vets have to lead now.

Let's begin the talk after your last sentence happens. 

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

If they sign a free agent or assume a contract, I’m fine with it.

If they trade key prospects and/or give away significant international bonus signing money slots, I’m not fine with it. 

If they are still within playoff striking distance in July, stay the course. If not, I’m fine selling pieces like Lynn Rodon or other short term pieces, as they will likely have limited ability to load up if they are good the next few years.

What kind of return do you think Lynn and Rodon would net, if they were to move them now? Maybe it's time to think about punting, to shore up the few holes, on next year's team. Could we get back some really promising young arms and maybe a LH power bat for right field? I just don't think that the Sox have the pieces to trade for 2 outfielders, who could replace both Eloy and Robert, and with Engel's return in doubt, it's at least worth considering trying to keep the core and capitalize on the two starting pitchers, who will be free agents at the end of the season. Oh, and you could add Grandal to the list.  Eaton could be another name to move, if you get back a good young outfielder who is ready to get a little Major League experience. I'm not advocating it, but it would be interesting to consider. The farm is pretty thin at this point. and this front office doesn't seem particularly adept at signing free agents, especially on a tight budget.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Bryan Reynolds for our 2020 draft class...who says no?

Why not?

Would rather try than simply give up.

It would be history making, surely.

Crochet is someone we can afford to lose more than Kopech/Cease at this point.

We might want to send Reynaldo the other way as a reclamation project, but have a feeling he'll come in handy at some point this season...it's almost inevitable.

• Like 1

Just now, Lillian said:

What kind of return do you think Lynn and Rodon would net, if they were to move them now? Maybe it's time to think about punting, to shore up the few holes, on next year's team. Could we get back some really promising young arms and maybe a LH power bat for right field? I just don't think that the Sox have the pieces to trade for 2 outfielders, who could replace both Eloy and Robert, and with Engel's return in doubt, it's at least worth considering trying to keep the core and capitalize on the two starting pitchers, who will be free agents at the end of the season. I'm not advocating it, but it would be interesting to consider. The farm is pretty thin at this point. and this front office doesn't seem particularly adept at signing free agents, especially on a tight budget.

No major trades with Sox pitching will occur until at least late MAY, you can book it.

Rodon needs to stay healthy for those two months and maintain his velocity and K rates.   Same with Lynn.   Lynn would be worth a ton to playoff contenders, so that's going to be the trickiest call of all.

If the season is toast, I would see how much I would have to pay of Hendriks' contract to offload him as well.

We can't afford that salary for closer if we're having to replace a player of Robert's caliber long-term.

And Grandal/Keuchel/Abreu are obviously concerning as well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fathom said:

I don’t think anyone would take on Grandal’s full contract right now.  Good idea but Braves could probably try to get a cheaper guy.

More likely to send them Collins to back up Contreras. Contreras was their catcher of the future anyway

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

What kind of return do you think Lynn and Rodon would net, if they were to move them now? Maybe it's time to think about punting, to shore up the few holes, on next year's team. Could we get back some really promising young arms and maybe a LH power bat for right field? I just don't think that the Sox have the pieces to trade for 2 outfielders, who could replace both Eloy and Robert, and with Engel's return in doubt, it's at least worth considering trying to keep the core and capitalize on the two starting pitchers, who will be free agents at the end of the season. I'm not advocating it, but it would be interesting to consider. The farm is pretty thin at this point. and this front office doesn't seem particularly adept at signing free agents, especially on a tight budget.

It would be problematic both publicly and in the clubhouse to do anything but add at this point. However, if it’s bleak in July (at below .500 and bad prognosis for Robert Eloy returning), they could definitely get a few solid prospects and or one or two Major League ready contributors in 2022.

GMs aren’t selling the farm like they did even a few years ago (like the Eaton Quintana deals), but between both pitcher’s solid performance to date and cost friendly contracts, you open up the potential bidding process for either of these two players and would get a much stronger return than say for a high priced but mediocre veteran rental, especially in these penny pinching times. 

8 hours ago, fathom said:

Sox need Abreu and Grandal to show up this year. If they continue to underperform so badly, it’s going to be nearly impossible to make the postseason. Personally, I think the Royals are a lot better than people give them credit for.  Hard to imagine the Sox running away with this.

Grandal is never going to drive an offense. It’s all on TA, Abreu, Moncada, Mercedes and Vaughn now.

Agreed on the Royals though

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

Depends what you mean with quality prospects but I'm sure at least two outfielders younger than 32 (marte,Polanco, maybe even pederson when the cubs continue to suck) that are not washed up will be traded this deadline without costing a 50 or better FV prospect.

If you were trading with the Sox would you feel you were in a better position in February,  April,  or today?