Is Leury's time almost up

CentralChamps21

I've been an advocate for having Leury on the bench because he can play all the infield and outfield positions well, and that gives you incredible flexibility with your team, especially in the late innings. That and the fact that he can't be sent down have led to him having a lock on a 25-man roster spot no matter how bad his hitting was.

However, nobody predicted Yermin Mercedes, Jake Lamb, Danny Mendick, and even Billy Hamilton outhitting him, so have we reached the point where Leury's flexibility no longer justifies carrying his sub .600 OPS on the roster? Hamilton (when he's back) can play the OF about as well as Leury and has been hitting better than him, and Mendick can handle the IF and is also hitting better.

No. He should be here, valuable for flexibility. I’ve only questioned not pinch hitting for him late in games when a run is needed, or playing him nearly every day, even with the injuries.

At this point with Madrigal also out, he’ll need to play more. He’s just more effective playing 2ish times a week, in terms of impact on the overall lineup.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

There isn't a chance in hell he's gone now that Madrigal is hurt.  There is nobody else to play SS in an emergency.  They won't have Mendick as the primary backup to Tim.

It would be Tim Beckham, Marco Hernandez or Matt Reynolds.   Probably Beckham, who was drafted as a SS.  He has been hitting much better the last 2-3 weeks at Charlotte.

That’s in case of Leury going down.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I've been an advocate for having Leury on the bench because he can play all the infield and outfield positions well, and that gives you incredible flexibility with your team, especially in the late innings. That and the fact that he can't be sent down have led to him having a lock on a 25-man roster spot no matter how bad his hitting was.

However, nobody predicted Yermin Mercedes, Jake Lamb, Danny Mendick, and even Billy Hamilton outhitting him, so have we reached the point where Leury's flexibility no longer justifies carrying his sub .600 OPS on the roster? Hamilton (when he's back) can play the OF about as well as Leury and has been hitting better than him, and Mendick can handle the IF and is also hitting better.

Smh. No, he isn't. 

7 hours ago, Nick_Schwam said:

The funny part is that there is probably so many contending teams around the league wanting a guy like Leury. 

He is not THAT bad guys. Cut it out. 

He is in the 3rd percentile for xwOBA and was in the 4th percentile in 2019.  He has proven himself to be one of the worst hitters in baseball.  I get that his versatility is theoretically valuable, but how much is that really worth when it comes with a terrible bat?  It also doesn’t help that Tony thinks he’s good from the left side and continually misuses him, but I guess that’s a topic for a different day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/leury-garcia/5913/stats?position=OF
LaRussa must have only watched him in 2017...other than that year, he has never approximated a 2+ fWAR value over a limited number of at-bats.   2019, the definition of a replacement level player.  This year 0.0 value in almost 200 plate appearances.

Can blame Hahn for this state of affairs.

I'm non-plussed by performances coming against shitty teams like Detroit, although irrational exuberance can be commonplace among we the diehards. 

That said, Leury's only playing more because so many OFers have been out this year.

Mendick CANNOT play SS, because his arm isn't strong enough. Billy Hamilton sucks/can't play anywhere in the IF. Also, although Lamb has been hot lately, I'd like to see what Burger can do, now that he's finally discovered the magic of what exercise can do to his fuckton of adipose tissue.

This org has not emphasized versatility, either here or in MiLB. Leury became the Swiss army knife by default. Vaughn was only tried at LF after injuries. So, if you as a fan want a better player at a utility role, then maybe this org should do a better job of developing versatile players.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

13 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

There isn't a chance in hell he's gone now that Madrigal is hurt.  There is nobody else to play SS in an emergency.  They won't have Mendick as the primary backup to Tim.

Mendick and Leury both in the lineup today and Mendick is the one playing SS.

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He is in the 3rd percentile for xwOBA and was in the 4th percentile in 2019.  He has proven himself to be one of the worst hitters in baseball.  I get that his versatility is theoretically valuable, but how much is that really worth when it comes with a terrible bat?  It also doesn’t help that Tony thinks he’s good from the left side and continually misuses him, but I guess that’s a topic for a different day.

Nobody is claiming Leury as a world beater, but he has def contributed to this teams success, and he will continue to.

44 minutes ago, Nick_Schwam said:

Nobody is claiming Leury as a world beater, but he has def contributed to this teams success, and he will continue to.

Agree to disagree here. He’s got to be much better with the bat than he’s been so far.  The versatility isn’t worth much of anything when he’s hitting at sub replacement player levels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Agree to disagree here. He’s got to be much better with the bat than he’s been so far.  The versatility isn’t worth much of anything when he’s hitting at sub replacement player levels.

Solid game today.

No problem with agreeing to disagree.

He’s not Eloy, Luis, TA, Jose, but he is a really solid glue guy. Like I said before look around the league and show me a team that doesn’t want a guy like Leury or would take a guy like Leury in their lineup to this point? 

16 minutes ago, Nick_Schwam said:

Solid game today.

No problem with agreeing to disagree.

He’s not Eloy, Luis, TA, Jose, but he is a really solid glue guy. Like I said before look around the league and show me a team that doesn’t want a guy like Leury or would take a guy like Leury in their lineup to this point? 

Don’t get me wrong, I want Leury to be successful as he’s potentially very valuable given his ability to play a lot of positions fairly well.  He’s simply got to hit more IMO (especially against RHP) or else his offense is negating the impact of his versatility.  Just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Don’t get me wrong, I want Leury to be successful as he’s potentially very valuable given his ability to play a lot of positions fairly well.  He’s simply got to hit more IMO (especially against RHP) or else his offense is negating the impact of his versatility.  Just my opinion.

And I respect that completely! 

He’s never been a guy to hit .300 but he’s also been a guy who can sneak up and give you a clutch knock. 

• Like 1