Rodon to IL with Shoulder Fatigue

CentralChamps21

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Riding Rodon hard would've surely meant not having him for the post season. How does that make any sense at all ? It was never just about just having no interest in having him next year.

Huh? I said I would ride Rodon hard because I think there is no way he's on the roster next year.  I didn't say I would run him out there until his arm falls off. You're just making up the context of the comment.  Of course the Sox need him in October - that should go without saying.   

• Like 1

I would like to see all of our starters at least skip one start in the final 2 months.    Also, give Kopech some time off.   Remember, no pitchers threw a full season in 2020 so they are all rebuilding arm strength.   Let’s take advantage of our big lead in the division and make sure we have the freshest arms in MLB entering the postseason

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

Skipping a start is not an extended period. 

A 10 day IL stint is and it will probably be longer . He skipped a start recently and had 8 days off between starts but even that wasn't long enough to prevent the shoulder fatigue or worse. Right now looking at best case scenario it's 2 weeks off and worst case who knows.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

A 10 day IL stint is and it will probably be longer . He skipped a start recently and had 8 days off between starts but even that wasn't long enough to prevent the shoulder fatigue or worse. Right now looking at best case scenario it's 2 weeks off and worst case who knows.

It's retroactive to Sunday, so 10 days will miss one start. You're best and worst case are nothing more than speculative. He's out with "fatigue", he's almost certainly fine. 

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Huh? I said I would ride Rodon hard because I think there is no way he's on the roster next year.  I didn't say I would run him out there until his arm falls off. You're just making up the context of the comment.  Of course the Sox need him in October - that should go without saying.   

Really? Ride him hard seems pretty self explanatory even given the context. You could've said rest him when necessary and if his arm survives through the playoffs we will revisit what kind of FA contract he will be worth.

36 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

not absurd at all. what you'd want to do is find the market value. he has the pedigree to pitch like a $30mm a year pitcher. You balance that by injury history and track record. I think there's a market value in there of something like $15mm a year for 4-5. You get a discount on price and on years and it's win/win for everybody. I'd do 4/70mm personally. if you get a healthy version for 75% of the time you get a decent value.

There is a better chance at getting 25% than 75 based on his history. 

• Like 2

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What was the rational behind not stretching out Kopech ? Sorry I can't read the Athletic articles ?

very bad efforts by Hauer and RH relievers forced TLR's hand into Kopech being high leverage...now they are being stubborn that he needs to keep that role...even while adding Tepera/Kimbrel. It is the most infuriating thing by management this season. They are going all in for World Series this year and Katz has said Kopech is a starter next year already (in today's Fegan article)...I guess on 60ish innings this season? Not the best laid plan. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What was the rational behind not stretching out Kopech ? Sorry I can't read the Athletic articles ?

"That stands in a bit of contrast to Michael Kopech, who has become a more regular part of the late-inning short reliever mix, after spending much of the first half working multiple innings and spot starting in seven-inning doubleheaders when called upon.

“He’s still capable and we still want to find him opportunities to have those multiple innings,” Katz said. “But one thing about where we’re at right now in the season is it’s hard to run him out there for three to four innings, and then we’re a man down in the bullpen for quite a few days, which can really hurt the other guys, especially with the way our bullpen is formatted now.”

While general manager Rick Hahn recently reaffirmed that Kopech will be in the rotation next season, Katz believes working through high-leverage situations will serve him well in the future as a starter, even if the challenges of working through lineups multiple times will not be replicated. Also, while no one in a Sox uniform or polo shirt — and certainly not Rodón — is a fan of looking toward the playoffs, there is the reality of a sizable division lead to consider. Kopech’s playoff role will likely be getting high-leverage outs, not spot starting."

(Mods lmk if this is too long of an excerpt)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheTruth05 said:

really short sighted on Kopech, having him throw an inning every other day and then thinking he can just jump into 100+ innings next year is dumb af.

ESPECIALLY now given this situation. with Keuchel still sucking...IF Rodon isn't healthy come October....what is the plan? Kopech could start with 2/3 innings the next week or two and work up to 4/5 innings by end of the season...and then be the #3 (if Rodon isn't back) or #4 if Keuchel falls off a cliff. Instead he is our high leverage guy...on a team that has 2 elite closers, Bummer, Tepera and Crochet. It's so stubborn. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

very bad efforts by Hauer and RH relievers forced TLR's hand into Kopech being high leverage...now they are being stubborn that he needs to keep that role...even while adding Tepera/Kimbrel. It is the most infuriating thing by management this season. They are going all in for World Series this year and Katz has said Kopech is a starter next year already (in today's Fegan article)...I guess on 60ish innings this season? Not the best laid plan. 

I don't think it was the plan to have the RH relievers suck this year. We knew from the get go that Kopech and Crochet just weren't going to get the innings due to babying them because of lack of innings pitched in the past . About the only thing that could be said about the plan was maybe another BP arm could've been added to the off season or put Kopech and/or Crochet in the minors. But when you have live arms capable of getting MLB hitters out and you are attempting to win a World Series we all know you need every good arm available.

But once the RH relievers started sucking that shortened the BP a lot. Bringing up Lopez was kind of the last ditch effort to get something out of the minors to work at the MLB level.

At one point Kopech was starting to be stretched out but then he had the hammy injury and lately he hasn't been pitching all that well so going multiple inning hasn't really been an option.

Most speculate he was tipping pitches but like any young pitcher who hadn't pitching the last 2 seasons it could just be inconsistency or even a dead arm period.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

really short sighted on Kopech, having him throw an inning every other day and then thinking he can just jump into 100+ innings next year is dumb af.

People were thinking he could get 100 innings this year coming off 2 years of not pitching. I think it would be pretty easy to get him 100+ after he gets 55+ this year. It's just not what people here wanted. They wanted 100 IP this year and 150 IP+ next year.

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

People were thinking he could get 100 innings this year coming off 2 years of not pitching. I think it would be pretty easy to get him 100+ after he gets 55+ this year. It's just not what people here wanted. They wanted 100 IP this year and 150 IP+ next year.

You think he can just double his innings load next year? There are so many issues that can and probably will come up if they let that happen. Hell we're seeing how much maintenance that requires currently with Rodon and he's actually pitched 100+ innings before. 

Edited by TheTruth05

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

As long as they don't need him in middle relief next year...

16 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Would actually love Lopez/Kopech to get a few innings each during these starts to get some innings under Michael's belt. While this is expected, it 100% eliminates the Sox from Home Field advantage....so good luck winning playoff series outside of Chicago. they will have to earn their world series birth in the ALCS. 

Saying it 100% eliminates the Sox from home field advantage is ridiculous and premature. We are only 2.5 games back from Tampa for best AL record.

We have 48 games left. Here is why will have a great chance and getting HFA all the way through the playoffs:

1. We added Robert and Jimenez and Hernandez to the lineup. Without these three and playing much weaker players in our lineup, we were already one of the best teams in AL all year.

2. We added Tepera and Kimbrel to the bullpen now giving us one the best bullpens. 

Even with resting Rodon for awhile and giving more starts to Lopez & Kopech, doesn't mean we cant finish with best record in AL. 

We have the best home record in the AL, so you're right our chances would be far better playing at Guaranteed Rate in the playoffs. Obviously if we are fortunately enough to get to the World Series, the AL has the home field advantage this year. 

1 hour ago, TheTruth05 said:

Been saying this all year (same with Crochet). Having Kopech no where near 100 innings this year will suck

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin