Vaughn/Burger could see 2B

southsider2k5

4 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Why not Abreu?  Grandal?  I mean, if we just totally untether ourselves from reality we can get a lot *more* flexible than that -- don't stop now, boys!

I'm left handed, hit 250 in DIII 12 years ago have two surgically reconstructed knees and I'm about 20lbs over my playing weight but I think I'm ready to play 2B for the White Sox when called.

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

I remember that one time a poster suggested trading Adam LaRoche to the Cardinals, who would play him at second base.

This reminds me of that.

Har! The Cards would get one look at LaRoche & Son on the field and clubhouse and have them vendoring peanuts in the RF grandstand.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm left handed, hit 250 in DIII 12 years ago have two surgically reconstructed knees and I'm about 20lbs over my playing weight but I think I'm ready to play 2B for the White Sox when called.

Sounds like you're the left handed bat they've been looking for.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Jerry Dybzynski just called Tony, wants to atone for 1983!

And I realize Julio Cruz died recently, but is Tony Bernazard still available?

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Why not Jermaine Dye to SS...?

Avi Garcia in CF was a lot easier sell back in the day than Vaughn and Burger at second.

Also reminds me of Mark Teahen to second...

Actually Dye played an inning at SS in 05

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

lol I vaguely remember that, wasn't it just a batter?

Looked it up because I also remember it, but not well. 

Uribe, Iguchi and Ozuna were all hurt. Crede was playing SS and Widger played 3B. In the 9th, Ozzie and Crede got thrown out of the game arguing balls and strikes lol. So Dye had to play SS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, ptatc said:

So you prefer to keep Garcia there and in the lineup?

Yes. With the current options, it's Leury at 2B every single day. No Harrison. Bad acquisition. Leury must step up and get his 500 at bats if necessary. Cmon. Burger and/or Vaughn at 2B is a total embarrassment to MLB. I understand not wanting to move Yoan, but just ask Yoan what he thinks of helping out the team til Sox get a real second base option someday.

Edited by greg775

56 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

lol I vaguely remember that, wasn't it just a batter?

It was to finish the game I think. I dont remember how long. Crede got tossed because he got hit by a pitch but the ump wouldn't give him first base because he said crede didn't try hard enough to get out of the way. Everyone proceeded to get ejected for yelling at the ump and the Sox didn't have many infielders left.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

I could see Vaughn or Burger have a really rough day or two or 10 if either played second. I wonder what the MLB record is for errors in one game and one week. Either would break those records easily unless they got lucky and had few chances in the games they played. If either plays second over a healthy Harrison, then Harrison has the best job in Sox history. Just show up, go through pregame warmups and batting practice and receive mega dollars for being a spectator. I don't like Harrison but if he can't beat out Vaughn/Burger option, LOL.

Just now, Jerry McNertney said:

How about Vaughn for left field? Is there any significant drop-off in offensive and/or defensive quality of play going from Jimenez to Vaughn? I'm beginning to think Jimenez isn't the player most of us thought he would be. I'm not just talking about the fragility of Jimenez.

I would think no rational Sox fan is high on Eloy any more. If Eloy produces in the future, fine. But he's no longer a viable piece to the WS puzzle cause of his being unable to be available. He's a bust (only cause of injury) as far as I'm concerned. So yes to Vaughn in LF.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I could see Vaughn or Burger have a really rough day or two or 10 if either played second. I wonder what the MLB record is for errors in one game and one week. Either would break those records easily unless they got lucky and had few chances in the games they played. If either plays second over a healthy Harrison, then Harrison has the best job in Sox history. Just show up, go through pregame warmups and batting practice and receive mega dollars for being a spectator. I don't like Harrison but if he can't beat out Vaughn/Burger option, LOL.

The worst would be seeing them try to turn a DP.

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

I would think no rational Sox fan is high on Eloy any more. If Eloy produces in the future, fine. But he's no longer a viable piece to the WS puzzle cause of his being unable to be available. He's a bust (only cause of injury) as far as I'm concerned. So yes to Vaughn in LF.

Is that also an endorsement from you for Abreu to stay at 1B indefinitely?