Trade Talk With Rick Hahn/Merkin

caulfield12

6 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Harvard educated GM's are 0 for 2 in this century.

Guess we need to try Yale (Epstein).

Stanford/Haber isn't doing so hot, either.  Although we really have no idea if he's good or bad...because he's a mirror of Hahn, and you have to figure in TLR/JR/KW as well.

This MLB.com article is a bit out of date, but illustrative as a general trend.

Of the 30 general managers or GM equivalents in the Majors today, 12, or fully 40 percent, have Ivy League backgrounds. Harvard leads the way with five. Princeton has two, as do Cornell (Daniels) and Dartmouth. Penn has one. No other collegiate group remotely approaches this number.

And this does not include the man whose success started the trend. Theo Epstein is a Yale man who was in a leadership role for the two teams that broke the most storied World Series championship droughts in history -- the Red Sox and the Cubs.

Edited by caulfield12

37 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm not joking. 100% serious. 2022 was supposed to be the peak year of the window. What is happening, cannot be happening. 

This is what happens when you let the mother fuckers who sunk the team in the first place lead the rebuild. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That early success (2019) of the Big 3 trades and the acquisition of Luis Robert saved Hahn's job, clearly.

They are regressing, and there’s no accountability 

12 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Hahn should be fired and they should be selling anything anyone with value. This rebuild has failed. 

Hahn should have resigned when JR chose Tony. Lost respect for the man after that, who knows how many other moves have been shot down by JR or Kenny.

BTW if Hahn were to be fired we can expect another Jerry kiss ass or former player to take over.

Edited by A-Train to 35th
add
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, T R U said:

They are regressing, and there’s no accountability 

Exactly, Ricky at least had them playing hard and they wanted to win for him.  Tony is so transparent in his treatment of players that they know it's not genuine and they have no desire to play hard for this train wreck of a manager who should have stayed retired.  Not that they should need a manager to get them fired up, but it certainly helps when you can at least respect the man calling the shots.

I will be honest, unless something huge happens, I really hope the Sox are not buyers at the deadline.  The only exception is if they could swing a deal for someone with longer control.  Otherwise, don't waste your resources until there is a team worth spending them on.  A quarter of the way through this season, this group isn't worth it.  They are flat, inconsistent and leaderless.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I will be honest, unless something huge happens, I really hope the Sox are not buyers at the deadline.  The only exception is if they could swing a deal for someone with longer control.  Otherwise, don't waste your resources until there is a team worth spending them on.  A quarter of the way through this season, this group isn't worth it.  They are flat, inconsistent and leaderless.

Couldn't agree more.  I kinda hope they lose to prove JR was wrong in hiring Tony. Ever since the hire this team has gone downhill, last year's playoffs exposed the team for what it is, defensively challenged and the inability to hit extra base hits..   At least now I have gotten over them losing and won't dedicate my summer nights watching them on TV.  So glad I passed on last nights game, I have tickets to tonight and a game against the Cubs this weekend which I'm dreading.  The Cubs are going to kick our asses, their currently playing hard and believing in themselves, something this team forgot how to do ever since Tony was hired.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Nothing could make this season worse than the Sox continuing to struggle and Rick Hahn being allowed to waste assets to try and salvage a season when we don't have the ammo to add anything that's going to change the world overnight.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Hahn should have resigned when JR chose Tony. Lost respect for the man after that, who knows how many other moves have been shot down by JR or Kenny.

BTW if Hahn were to be fired we can expect another Jerry kiss ass or former player to take over.

why resign when you know you will have a job as long as Jerry is alive?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah and it unfortunately sucks that we were basically saying the same thing 2 years ago. Just don't have enough in the org to make big trades still.

30 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

have needed to alter their positional core for awhile now

That's a damning statement to say that something has needed to be done for a while now but hasn't.

It didn't exactly take rocket scientist to look at this roster and see its full of right handed hitting sluggers than can't hit RHP better than league average, a clear lack of walks and OBP, and defensive question marks all over the field.   

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 2