GT 8/3: Outfielders? We don't need no stinking outfielders!

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Not if it's not reviewed or move on to the next baseball play.

That doesn't make sense. How does the run score if the runner doesn't reach home and just jogs back to the dugout?

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Fun. Bullpen game now. 

I guess the good thing is that we won't have to face Singer more than once through the lineup. Who's available to pitch more than 1 inning? Banks just pitched last night. Maybe Lambert?

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

That doesn't make sense. How does the run score if the runner doesn't reach home and just jogs back to the dugout?

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Easily if the play isn't noticed by ump or appealed by opponent.

You know, that's a good point that I never thought of before.  Who is the official score keeper?  Who actually clicks the counter or whatever to declare a run has been scored?

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Looks like really rough weather, including hail, coming.

Then could be another delay later.

Won't have that problem this weekend in Dallas (Arlington).

No measurable rain since June and it will be 102-14 for the series....

But its always clear and 68 degrees at the GLF. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RibbieRubarb said:

Won't have that problem this weekend in Dallas (Arlington).

No measurable rain since June and it will be 102-14 for the series....

But its always clear and 68 degrees at the GLF. 

It was the hottest July of all time in Austin. I'm sure it was similar in DFW. I was in Arlington earlier last month for Six flags and the parking lot temperature was 115. 

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

It was the hottest July of all time in Austin. I'm sure it was similar in DFW. I was in Arlington earlier last month for Six flags and the parking lot temperature was 115. 

Driving back a couple weeks ago from the UP to San Antonio. 64° to 111°

11 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

You know, that's a good point that I never thought of before.  Who is the official score keeper?  Who actually clicks the counter or whatever to declare a run has been scored?

Home Plate umpire

Just now, RibbieRubarb said:

Home Plate umpire

That's what I thought.  So if a runner slides home and misses the plate but the catcher doesn't notice, the home plate ump generally doesn't signal anything - safe or out.  So now if the runner gets up, doesn't touch the plate and jogs back into the dugout and play resumes without the defensive team noticing, does the run just automatically count?  Apparently so, but I've never really thought about it before.

9 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

That's what I thought.  So if a runner slides home and misses the plate but the catcher doesn't notice, the home plate ump generally doesn't signal anything - safe or out.  So now if the runner gets up, doesn't touch the plate and jogs back into the dugout and play resumes without the defensive team noticing, does the run just automatically count?  Apparently so, but I've never really thought about it before.

Once a runner passes the plate, he gets credit for reaching it. The interpretation is the runner’s entire body must pass the entire base. In that case, his run counts unless a proper appeal is made.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, RibbieRubarb said:

You drove that? I hate just driving back from Chicago. Downstate Illinois is a scenic treadmill and Oklahoma is well...Oklahoma.

Pulling my RV for six weeks. I've stopped killing myself on 35 and Dallas. Now it's 281 into Oklahoma and 44 across. 

• Like 1