White Sox Manager Search Thread

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 10:03 PM)
I figured there should probably be a "Catch all" for the rumors that will be comin gin the next few hours/days/weeks.

If the admins feels this is not necessary, please delete.

This thread is very necessary, good call.

I say Oney Guillen for manager.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 11:04 PM)
Rotoworld:

According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf is expected to consider Tony La Russa and Buddy Bell for the team's managerial vacancy.

I think I am going to be sick if they bring in either of those guys. Just replace Guillen with Dave Martinez and call it a day.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 11:04 PM)
Rotoworld:

According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf is expected to consider Tony La Russa and Buddy Bell for the team's managerial vacancy.

I'm getting sick of hearing about who Jerry Reinsdorf is bringing in to interview. Let the man whose job that is take care of choosing who he will interview. The man already helped create the dysfunctional atmosphere of the last few years. Take a step back.

QUOTE (3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 11:26 PM)
Not going to happen but I'd like Bobby V or even Brenly.

I don't really want Tony LaR. I'd actually even prefer some young unknown to him. We should be rebuilding anyways. Getting LaRussa says the Sox are still in denial and not completely moving forward yet

I honestly would not mind Brenly. Valentine is meh to me. Ultimately, I like Dave Martinez. Former Sox player and coached under Joe Maddon (Maddon actually gives him a lot of credit). Definitely somebody that I think will fit right in with this organization.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 11:14 PM)
Buddy Bell's last managerial gig was with Rockies. Not successful. Is he younger than Jack McKeon?

No, it was with the Royals. You are right about the "not successful" part, though.

When was the last time the White Sox signed a manager with MLB managerial experience? Hopefully that trend will keep Bell and TLR away. My main beef with TLR is that his players seem to feud with him to the point that they get traded (Rolen, Rasmus).

Edited by JorgeFabregas

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 11:35 PM)
No, it was with the Royals. You are right about the "not successful" part, though.

When was the last time the White Sox signed a manager with MLB managerial experience? Hopefully that trend will keep Bell and TLR away. My main beef with TLR is that his players seem to feud with him to the point that they get traded (Rolen, Rasmus).

TLR is just a poor choice for the direction the Sox need to go

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 11:37 PM)
TLR is just a poor choice for the direction the Sox need to go

Exactly. At this point, the Sox need to have a mix of young guys and vets. Look at what happened with Arizona this year.

We can still win next year in a new environment with some fresh blood under the right circumstances. It doesn't have to be a rebuild, it just has to be a year where we are conservative in free agency and let the younger players (De Aza, Viciedo, Flowers, Reed) play everyday to gain experience. Plus, if Rios and Dunn ever figure out how to swing a baseball bat again, this team can go somewhere. They still have a good enough pitching staff to win and they have enough talent to win what is a bad division. Anything can happen, but it all starts with who we hire as the manager.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 10:41 PM)
Exactly. At this point, the Sox need to have a mix of young guys and vets. Look at what happened with Arizona this year.

We can still win next year in a new environment with some fresh blood under the right circumstances. It doesn't have to be a rebuild, it just has to be a year where we are conservative in free agency and let the younger players (De Aza, Viciedo, Flowers, Reed) play everyday to gain experience. Plus, if Rios and Dunn ever figure out how to swing a baseball bat again, this team can go somewhere. They still have a good enough pitching staff to win and they have enough talent to win what is a bad division. Anything can happen, but it all starts with who we hire as the manager.

Well I can tell you one thing for sure...Addison Reed will not be playing every day.

Sorry, had to.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 11:49 PM)
Don't worry, Martinez will find a way to get it even if it's the property of someone else.

Hmmm...wonder how many caught that one?

It would be really interesting if Sandberg and Martinez were managing the Cubs and Sox. Would definitely dial up the intensity on that rivalry again.

I hope the Ozzie hiring won't spurn KW away from going young with the managerial position. What the Sox don't need right now is an old school veteran guy like a Buddy Bell or Bobby Valentine or LaRussa (whom I dont have as much of an issue with as most, but still would prefer Martinez)

Especially if the team goes into rebuild mode. A guy like Martinez, especially with this seasons Rays roster, would really be a perfect fit to grow with the players into a contender in a few years.

Tony LaRussa might be the only possible available manager out there that would make me miss Ozzie. I've been on the Martinez bandwagon for two years as he is a saber/statistics guy but there will be some interesting darkhorses out there. (saw SF is bringing back their entire staff as Ron Wotus was an interesting name thrown out there prior)

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 04:22 AM)
Steve Stone says on Comcast this will not be an easy job for the guy who takes over because of the failures of Dunn and Rios and the uncertainty of the makeup of the pitching staff.

Amen, Mr. Stone.

Stone as a former player realizes players win games.

Nobody can win with Dunn and Rios 2/9 of the order.

If the Sox hire Buddy Bell, count on season ticket sales to dwindle to nothing.

I'm starting to trust you guys on Martinez like I trusted this board on Dunn last winter.

I hope Martinez is good.

Anybody but Buddy Bell. There is absolutely no reason in the world to consider that guy.

Edited by greg775